Entry costs for funrides

Brent

Having recently entered and completed a few of the funrides in the Western Cape, I am amazed as to how the costs to enter these events has spiralled. There will be a time if it has not indeed come already, where the number of entrants will certainly drop due to these high costs of entry. At some point the organisers will not see much benefit in hosting these events due to the limited amount that can be raised for charity by the entrance fees which in turn will only result in less funrides. :thumbdown:

Having spoken to a few organisers, I am lead to believe that the major cost facing these funride organisers is traffic management services.....i.e. the cost to get traffic officers .

Well, this is where my rant comes in. Surely in the interest of public safety, the council should willingly offer the services of the traffic department for which we already pay rates, taxes e.t.c. at no additional charge. :unsure:

The council wouldn't want to have a whole lot of cyclists run over in a Sunday morning funride and therefore this should be a community service. It is after all the goal of government be it local or national to have a healthier population and cycling certainly helps people reach this goal. If this means changing traffic officer shift allocations to make them available on Saturdays or Sundays then this should be done.

The community should not have to pay for these services at additional costs which are then past on the the funride organisers which in turn make the cost of entry so high !!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Edited by Btus

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct me if i am wrong, but the Metro Police that assist do so in their free time for additional money.

I think the shift cops are already allocated to other responsibilities.

Somebody told me that a while back, not sure how true it is.

Funnily enough, after considerable moaning, begging, pleading and cajoling from us the past few years, the traffic department has shown some flexibility. Like the OP, we're still not happy with having to pay at all, but we have managed to get substantial fee reductions because of our charity status. But every year the hoops seem to become more numerous, more complex and just... more.

For the record, simply organising Journey 4 Sight n Service this year cost a smidgeon under R100k.

And bear in mind that many of us claim no compensation for time, fuel etc. On race day alone, I have clocked up 350 km. (No, I'm not looking for a medal. Simply pointing out that the event costs could be a lot higher were it not for these "donations".)

Correct me if i am wrong, but the Metro Police that assist do so in their free time for additional money.

I think the shift cops are already allocated to other responsibilities.

If this is indeed the case then they should be allocated shifts to protect the cyclists in the interest of social responsibility....simple as that.

While I personally am all for dontating to charity and do so in various ways...the problem here is that of the entrance fee, I reckon that less than 30% goes to charity ~ perhaps some of the event organisers can actually step in here and inform us as to what the ratio of cost to donation actually is.

And bear in mind that many of us claim no compensation for time, fuel etc. On race day alone, I have clocked up 350 km. (No, I'm not looking for a medal. Simply pointing out that the event costs could be a lot higher were it not for these "donations".)

And yes, you guys do deserve a medal :whistling:

Edited by Btus

Let's get political.

Is it the DA or City Council that is accountable and responsible ? Or is it the same thing?

Do they profiteer?

Not intending to stir. Just really wondering, like the Opening Post.

Edited by ' Dale

Let's get political.

Is it the DA or City Council that is accountable and responsible ? Or is it the same thing?

Do they profiteer?

Not intending to stir. Just really wondering, like the Opening Post.

There is a distinction between the political party in the majority and the municipal council just as there is a distinction between the party with the national majority and the state.

If the cost of traffic control is the reason (excuse) for the high costs, explain the high cost of the MTB events.

Yesterdays event at Paarl cost R 150 for the 36Km MTB event (with PPA Discount). 6Km of the 36Km was on Tar, the rest was off road with farm workers doing the marshalling. Most of the intersection on tar were marshalled by Rotary volunteers, I only saw traffic officials at the last robot, 1km from the finish (where the MTB route merged with the road route). By comparison the entry fee for the 127Km road race was R 170, suggesting that they added R 20 for traffic control costs ?

I cant speak for the road event, but the MTB riders were supplied with 2 water points with exactly that - warm water, no coke, or Energade etc.

Are the MTB riders "subsidising" the road riders ?

For a start get rid of the charities. Why justify hosting a race because the money raised goes to a charity? Why give money to charities? Charities use the money to wine and dine potential sponsors, volunteers, etc at considerable costs. Top level staff are flown all over for these functions. They stay in expensive accommodation.

The one I saw this weekend flown down on Friday from Gauteng to Slaapstad for an dinner at charity expense. Most of the weekend spend galavanting the wine farms. Lekker man Lekker.

Exec's etc earn huge salaries and lots of perks. I only do non charity events.

For a start get rid of the charities. Why justify hosting a race because the money raised goes to a charity? Why give money to charities? Charities use the money to wine and dine potential sponsors, volunteers, etc at considerable costs. Top level staff are flown all over for these functions. They stay in expensive accommodation.

The one I saw this weekend flown down on Friday from Gauteng to Slaapstad for an dinner at charity expense. Most of the weekend spend galavanting the wine farms. Lekker man Lekker.

Exec's etc earn huge salaries and lots of perks. I only do non charity events.

Get rid of the charities? Seriously?

First race I've dropped out of this year is the 99er. Have ridden that route a lot this year and more in training plus the cost is pretty up there compared to the rest of the races.

Yup, I ride a decent priced bike and yes, one GP4000 is waaay more than the entry fee but I think R210 - R295 is a bit steep for the experience and it being a seeded race for next year's Argus. I have to be honest (and I know it's a bit of screwy logic) but the price did play a part in the decision not to enter this year.

For the record, simply organising Journey 4 Sight n Service this year cost a smidgeon under R100k.

Maybe some more races should have a bit of a beer stall at the finish village. That would make some additional money without a doubt. Guys were loving the one at the weekends race.

Edited by hellocolour

I take this past weekend as example. R180 for 42km. For me it is R1800 for 8 development guys under my wing and my wife and I. That's only entry fee. Went to Eselfontein in Ceres insted and R300 for the day permit, that's R30 per person riding . Ride where you want for how long you want. Feul and distance to both veneus are the same.

If the cost of traffic control is the reason (excuse) for the high costs, explain the high cost of the MTB events.

Yesterdays event at Paarl cost R 150 for the 36Km MTB event (with PPA Discount). 6Km of the 36Km was on Tar, the rest was off road with farm workers doing the marshalling. Most of the intersection on tar were marshalled by Rotary volunteers, I only saw traffic officials at the last robot, 1km from the finish (where the MTB route merged with the road route). By comparison the entry fee for the 127Km road race was R 170, suggesting that they added R 20 for traffic control costs ?

I cant speak for the road event, but the MTB riders were supplied with 2 water points with exactly that - warm water, no coke, or Energade etc.

Are the MTB riders "subsidising" the road riders ?

I know this is the truth. I did the road race, but all my friends and girlfriend did the mtb event. Water tables had warm water, nothing to eat or anything special. Its a normal route on the mountain anybody can ride anytime for free. Why the expensive entry. I live in Paarl, the event last year had more entrants all round. Maybe the cost is catching up to them.

First race I've dropped out of this year is the 99er. Have ridden that route a lot this year and more in training plus the cost is pretty up there compared to the rest of the races.

Yup, I ride a decent priced bike and yes, one GP4000 is waaay more than the entry fee but I think R210 - R295 is a bit steep for the experience and it being a seeded race for next year's Argus. I have to be honest (and I know it's a bit of screwy logic) but the price did play a part in the decision not to enter this year.

Last year's medal came without its lanyard. Really, for the $$ wtf? Maybe this year we will have to share coke cups so that the margin goes up.