How To Make Bike Lighter

Shepherd

hahaha not so much... Been on a strict eating plan and lost a couple of KG's already...

Physically the bike it feeling heavier...

So I have started "within" in terms of losing weight myself, however need to work on the "without" and make bike lighter a bit as well...

aaah there's your answer! Those boring foods are making you weaker! Eat tasty meat! lots of it! Carbs too! Anddon't forget the high protein content of speckled eggs!

http://www.africashop.com.au/shop/images/uploads/Mister_Sweet_Speckled_Eggs.jpg

How many vegans do you see with loads of energy?

.. not many!

Eat tasty food, to get stronger and your bike will feel lighter!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tyres are the quickest and easiest way to loose weight, next is the amount of stans you have put in your tyres. You can get away with around 60-70g of sealant. If that doesnt seal the hole then nothing will so whats the point in having half a bottle in there. this is more than likely where you have put the weight on as "topping up" your stans adds about 200g if you not careful. Next would be the actual wheels, american classic, stans gold, etc are pretty light and the not toooo flexy and you can pick them up at a reasonable price from a friendly hubber :) . But honestly the quickest and cheapest way to drop a hole bunch of weight is to go 1x10/11 ( 10 been much cheaper). Drop me a message if you need some more help. Got my 29er down to 8.3 and should have it under 8 in the next month or so. Still waiting to get some more stuff for it.

aaah there's your answer! Those boring foods are making you weaker! Eat tasty meat! lots of it! Carbs too! Anddon't forget the high protein content of speckled eggs!

http://www.africashop.com.au/shop/images/uploads/Mister_Sweet_Speckled_Eggs.jpg

How many vegans do you see with loads of energy?

.. not many!

Eat tasty food, to get stronger and your bike will feel lighter!

Dammit I love speckled eggs. The packet's usually finished long before I get home!

Hoe water my bek nou! :drool:

Dammit I love speckled eggs. The packet's usually finished long before I get home!

Hoe water my bek nou! :drool:

Same, I'm totally regretting not picking up a pack when I was at the shops earlier :mellow:

If you dont plan on winning the Epic, your bike should be light enough already. Rather focus on increasing power and reducing your own weight. Removing that extra 500 to 1000 grams from the bike is a waste of money imo.

That said, how much Stans have you got in the tyres now, and how does that compare to before? Same tyres?

Hi everyone...

I bought a 2014 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp HT (Carbon)....

I dont have an actual weight it was, however quoted about 10.8kg out the box.. assuming tool bag and water should add another KG to the total...

I feel like it was lighter when I bought it than it is now, I haven't made any changes other than convert to tubeless....

Can it get heavier??? I made sure the drain hole below the BB is open...

Other than the basics, carbon stem, carbon handlebars, carbon seat post, wheels... What else can I look at doing to make the bike lighter??

I dont have a large budget and would be over a number of months but would really like to make the bike lighter again, feeling very sluggish now... :( :( :unsure: :unsure:

Put a drain hole in the bottom of your water bottle...

save 750g

Thank me later :thumbup:

Buddy of mine did some vac work 15+ yrs ago at an LBS. He and the mechanic chucked some (actually LOTS of) water into a (pro) buddy of theirs' tubes. The guy went on to win a race with the "serviced" wheel-set.

(I personally confirmed story with said ex-pro.)

For a few grams....you can (If) your seat post (bit that fits in the frame) is a bit long you can cut it shorter, JUST make sure you leave enough in the frame as per the frame / seat post guide otherwise you risking damaging the frame.

Buddy of mine did some vac work 15+ yrs ago at an LBS. He and the mechanic chucked some (actually LOTS of) water into a (pro) buddy of theirs' tubes. The guy went on to win a race with the "serviced" wheel-set.

(I personally confirmed story with said ex-pro.)

Sounds like the type of "mate" who adjusts your brakes when your sleeping

Sounds like the type of "mate" who adjusts your brakes when your sleeping

All was done (and taken) in good spirits

Go single speed :thumbup:

Fixed. Cassette, derailleurs, cables, shifters and chainrings removed should save about 500-1200g. Replace squishy fork with a rigid carbon one and save another kg.