Best socks for MTB

mataz

Surely no one pays more then R150(and that's pushing it) for a pair of socks to MTB in?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ditto to Hairy....any clean dry pair of black socks.....but first a pair of nylon stockings (not the whole stocking, only the foot part). Did this a few times on long "nag mars" excursions in the army. Works like a charm......reduces friction between skin and sock.

(....and some baby powder)

Edited by BarHugger

Black DeFeet Aireator, no doubt about it!!

Like Assos, expensive....but AWESOME! :clap:

How does DeFeet compare to Assos Mille socks.?

I've never tried DeFeet, but looking at the two (similarly priced), Assos looks superior.

How does DeFeet compare to Assos Mille socks.?

I've never tried DeFeet, but looking at the two (similarly priced), Assos looks superior.

I'm not sure which DeFeet it is (black ones) but I find them super comfy with extra padding (more than Assos) on heel and ball of foot. The padding on ball of foot really helps on road bike as feet feels tender there at times. I don't use them on MTB, too expensive and I'll ruin them.

I've done 2 epics and think this is a valid question strangely enough, and has nothing to do with the number of hours you have ridden in preparation.

In my 1st epic there was a day of plenty walking through beach sand, and I was wearing the falke mtb socks, the sand that got in there thru the weaves become like sand paper when combined with sweat and as such the blister were proper painful.

In the 2nd epic I stayed away from falke and there was another day of plenty walking a beach sand, and I even stopped on occasions to take my shoes and socks off to get rid of the sand, had some funny looks from other riders...needless to say that evening and next morning the blisters that were on show in the medic tent where of a high quality and I couldn't help but have a smile to myself.

Beware of the sand and walking - not sure any sock is fool proof but I did have a better time of it not using the falke, that's not to say its not a good sock when actually riding and not walking.

Black ones or dark coloured ones ... white one's just end up a funny brown colour anyway

Agreed any cycling or running sock as long as its black and does not reach half way up your shin.

For epic purposes, try do a few hike a bike training walks with your epic socks where you have to push / carry your bike up steep hills and see if your shoes fit properly i.e. that the heel does not come out and your toes don't ram the front. Thicker socks like the falke mtb might help if the shoe is a bit loose on your foot

Ditto to Hairy....any clean dry pair of black socks.....but first a pair of nylon stockings (not the whole stocking, only the foot part). Did this a few times on long "nag mars" excursions in the army. Works like a charm......reduces friction between skin and sock.

(....and some baby powder)

Gotta try this when I run.

Maybe it's because I don't do enough training beforehand but end up with massive blisters on the sole of my feet