HUBBERS LETS HELP CARPET

DIPSLICK

@LAPA

I FOR ONE HAVE DONATED MY MONEY TO CARPET a hubber i have met once or twice, i have helped with a few hub request and some i havent my reasons are, i take each request on merit, there are a few hubbers who give to charities, I PREFER TO GIVE TO A CAUSE IF I KNOW EXACTLY where it is going to and who,and if it will be used 100% for THAT SPECIFIC purpose,

IN all fairness there will be people who deposited the money for carpet because they know her/feel for HER SITUATION i feel to be fair to the people if payment were made REFUNDS is the way to go

when there was a thread about a general HUB FUND this point was raised and my answer was the same, each individual request for help should be handled that way, if people choose to help then they do for what ever the reasoning, but it is their personal choice

Dips I agree 100% with you, it will still be everyone's choice in the end if they want a refund or not. I don't want my money back should it come to that, but should Cyclesure pay out in the end there will certainly be money left in the 'fund'. I was just throwing some ideas around...

I made a very small donation, but I felt it was for a good cause even if I have never met Carpet.

In the end the money I donated was first and foremost for Carpet. Should the situation arise that she does not need it, she should have a say what happens with the money left over after people get refunds should they want it.

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We can also donate the money to some acadamy if everyone agrees. I know Diepsloot MTB Acadamy always appreciates all the help they can get.

I also have a mate who started a MTB Acadamy in Ficksburg helping the kids in the township. He would also be able to make very good use of some money, should everyone agree.

Lets see what Hollard/Cyclesure comes up with today...

Not mine please

Very good point TALUS is making here, if this claim is rejected....

"My opinion is that she must withdraw the claim so that she can go to another insurer with no history of a declined claim, IF she ever wants insurance again" If she does not want them to look on negatively at her possible claims and her risk assessment one of the first questions asked by insurers HAVE ANY OF YOUR PAST CLAIMS BE REJECTED AND WHY,,,,,give full details

This talk has the potential to get get messy, and to place both Wayne and Carpet in an invidious position. TALUS' point, with all due respect, is totally lacking in merit. If Hollard are paying the claim, Carpet will obviously not have to answer in the affirmative when asked by other insurers if her claim was ever rejected, because it was paid. No brainer.

Think about the following:

Cause 1: I was moved to donate because I empathized with Carpet as her insurance claim was rejected and she is without a frame,

Cause 2. I donated to the cause because Carpet, of her own volition, decided to withdraw her claim, even after the insurer advised that they would pay.

These are two very different causes. I personally support cause 1 wholeheartedly, but have no interest at all in contributing to Cause 2.

There are legal issues involved in changing the underlying basis for the cause unilaterally after the donations have been made. If indeed the cause has changed, every contributor needs to be refunded unless he or she has specifically agreed to forfeit the money or for it to applied elsewhere. This is not something which can be put to a vote, or be the subject of the "hub judicial system".

If there is still an excess, or a shortfall or short payment - sure the funds collected should be used as a top up to make sure that Carpet is able to get back on her bike. This accords with the original intended cause. The balance needs to be refunded pro rata to all but those who direct to the contrary.

Speaking for myself (and only myself) I would be happy for my contribution to go to little Jacques, whom I never stop thinking about. Or to CHOC. Or to an animal shelter, or an old age home. Or any charity in Dips and Wayne's discretion. I also don't mind if my contribution is used for bank charges or to compensate Wayne for the time and ball ache.

Finally: please note that I hold no shares, am not employed by, and have absolutely no connection whatsoever to Hollard. In fact, I would personally never insure any of my own assets with them. It nevertheless remains irresponsible, and most presumptuous to pressure Carpet into withdrawing her claim. Nobody (contributor or not) has the right to do that, and certainly not in pursuance of a campaign or an agenda such as has been contemplated by certain Hubbers, above in this thread.

My donation was for Carpet.

If Hollard / Cyclesure pay her out then my donation must be diverted to the dogs and cats at the SPCA.

I will not give to any diepsloot academy or people who claim PDI or less fortunate or poor because they are a family of 20, to hell with that and their so called plight. (this is another argument for a different thread)

Let wait and see what Hollard wants to do. If they pay, here's my thinking with regards to the money raised on the Hub:

Lots of people donated money for a specific cause, primarily I'd say to help a fellow cyclist, who lost a bike, get a bike. This was the givers' intent.

If the cause was to raise money for sex toys, or for pimping a bike, I doubt many would have donated.

So I'd say let's honour the original intent and keep the money in the kitty for a similar cause.

Those who would prefer a refund instead, shouldn't need to feel guilty. They gave for a cause that's no longer valid, to they should be allowed to keep it.

If I'm being wrongheaded here, then I'm willing to accept it, but that's my thinking.

Guest Travis.

Remember, there still is the issue of reward money that needs to be subtracted.

After that I think some upgrades may be due for emotional damage done.

I don't know Carpet but I feel she is being screwed by her insurance company. . She seems nice and the okes speak highly of her.. hence my deposit.

Dips/Badass... please feel free to use my funds as you decide fit - I have full trust in you good folk :thumbup:

+1

This talk has the potential to get get messy, and to place both Wayne and Carpet in an invidious position. TALUS' point, with all due respect, is totally lacking in merit. If Hollard are paying the claim, Carpet will obviously not have to answer in the affirmative when asked by other insurers if her claim was ever rejected, because it was paid. No brainer.

Cause 1: I was moved to donate because I empathized with Carpet as her insurance claim was rejected and she is without a frame,

Cause 2. I donated to the cause because Carpet, of her own volition, decided to withdraw her claim, even after the insurer advised that they would pay.

These are two very different causes. I personally support cause 1 wholeheartedly, but have no interest at all in contributing to Cause 2.

There are legal issues involved in changing the underlying basis for the cause unilaterally after the donations have been made. If indeed the cause has changed, every contributor needs to be refunded unless he or she has specifically agreed to forfeit the money or for it to applied elsewhere. This is not something which can be put to a vote, or be the subject of the "hub judicial system".

If there is still an excess, or a shortfall or short payment - sure the funds collected should be used as a top up to make sure that Carpet is able to get back on her bike. This accords with the original intended cause. The balance needs to be refunded pro rata to all but those who direct to the contrary.

Speaking for myself (and only myself) I would be happy for my contribution to go to little Jacques, whom I never stop thinking about. Or to CHOC. Or to an animal shelter, or an old age home. Or any charity in Dips and Wayne's discretion. I also don't mind if my contribution is used for bank charges or to compensate Wayne for the time and ball ache.

Finally: please note that I hold no shares, am not employed by, and have absolutely no connection whatsoever to Hollard. In fact, I would personally never insure any of my own assets with them. It nevertheless remains irresponsible, and most presumptuous to pressure Carpet into withdrawing her claim. Nobody (contributor or not) has the right to do that, and certainly not in pursuance of a campaign or an agenda such as has been contemplated by certain Hubbers, above in this thread.

Liewe moer.....did you draw up the T&C's for cyclesure's policy?

Didn't think there were T&C when it came to donating....I like escapee's view...simple.

Your point is well made. My view is more from a point of frustration at their system that will suddenly NOW see merit in her claim. Most small men in the street would have been left up the creek.

Luckily we have the larger pool of expertise called the Hub to give advise. I agree with you.

I still hope they fool nobody with a token payout now.

Guest Travis.

Wall of text alert!

Dips/Badass... please feel free to use my funds as you decide fit - I have full trust in you good folk :thumbup:

:blush: :blush: :blush: :clap:

Guest Travis.

Liewe moer.....did you draw up the T&C's for cyclesure's policy?

Didn't think there were T&C when it came to donating....I like escapee's view...simple.

Dit was maar 'n geval van tl;dr ou bul.