Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

Quick question for discussion:

Do you think that riding a mountain bike (for those of you that do) helps on a dual sport motorbike when off-road? In particular with factors such as reflexes, balance, body posture.

Or do you think it is in fact a disadvantage?

I think it does/should. Especially when it comes to weight transfer (ie manipulating your CG) and changing surfaces (ie dealing with slides and stuff).

Edit: Allrounder  :clap:

Edited by bertusras

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think that riding a mountain bike (for those of you that do) helps on a dual sport motorbike when off-road? In particular with factors such as reflexes, balance, body posture.

Not sure about that, but I know two okes who used to be big into riding motorcycles, who then took up mountain biking, and they said that the experience from motorcycling helped with their mountain biking skills.

Having ridden a KX250F (recreationally, not racing), my 800 Tiger and also mountain biking I don't think it carries over.

The speed differential and weight is too much. Many places where you would just gas it, you would end up coming to a stop on a bicycle.

The only place it would help is the fitness gained on a bicycle carrying over to the off-roading.

Just my opinion from my experience. 

Edited by Steven Knoetze (sk27)

Having ridden a KX250F (recreationally, not racing), my 800 Tiger and also mountain biking I don't think it carries over.

The speed differential and weight is too much. Many places where you would just gas it, you would end up coming to a stop on a bicycle.

The only place it would help is the fitness gained on a bicycle carrying over to the off-roading.

Just my opinion from my experience. 

This. Moto training would carry over to MTB though, for the reasons you've described. The extra weight and having to wrestle it around, carries over well to MTB when you consider the much lower weight. Hence most MTB pros using moto as a cross-training tool. 

Different style of riding. Going from Moto to MTB would be a help. My dual sport is too heavy to flick around and it reacts totally differently to any MTB I've ridden. Suspension is also way different.

Having ridden an MTB however helps me choose better lines on tech downhill trails on the dual sport.

as long as your MTB front brake is on the right, I do think it counts as an advantage. It trains you to feel the movement and to counter act. 

When I started riding I really thought this would affect me. Always had the rear on the right with my bikes. 

Wasn't a problem at all. Muscle memory I guess. 

I have always kept the bicycles front brake on the front with the hope and intention that I would get a motorbike again and did not want to form any bad habits before this glorious day of getting the motorbike :P

The above is fact, and not an attempt at poor humour.

I have always kept the bicycles front brake on the front with the hope and intention that I would get a motorbike again and did not want to form any bad habits before this glorious day of getting the motorbike :P

The above is fact, and not an attempt at poor humour.

Ja, it's when your front brake is on the rear that your problems begin.

And if your rear brake is on your front, well, .......

:clap:

Fook ... front = right :P

Ja, it's when your front brake is on the rear that your problems begin.

And if your rear brake is on your front, well, .......

:clap:

Here in NZ the standard MTB setup is front brake on right (moto style). When I bought my first NZ MTB I quickly had to switch it to match all my others (front brake on left).

However on the dirt bike, like others said, muscle memory. No issue with having the front brake on the right then.

The only time I have had an issue was once after being off the MTB for about 6 months and after riding a ton of dirt bike, I was commuting to work on the pedal power and accidentally pulled "the clutch" whilst going round a corner on a rainy road.

Turns out "the clutch" (ie front brake on my MTB) isn't the best way to coast around a corner  :ph34r: :lol:

Luckily I freaked out and let go as soon as the forks loaded, front dipped, and the tyre started breaking traction.

Here in NZ the standard MTB setup is front brake on right (moto style). When I bought my first NZ MTB I quickly had to switch it to match all my others (front brake on left).

However on the dirt bike, like others said, muscle memory. No issue with having the front brake on the right then.

The only time I have had an issue was once after being off the MTB for about 6 months and after riding a ton of dirt bike, I was commuting to work on the pedal power and accidentally pulled "the clutch" whilst going round a corner on a rainy road.

Turns out "the clutch" (ie front brake on my MTB) isn't the best way to coast around a corner  :ph34r:  :lol:

Luckily I freaked out and let go as soon as the forks loaded, front dipped, and the tyre started breaking traction.

Sorry, you pull a clutch going around a corner on a motorbike............ :eek:  :eek:  :eek: