Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

I have had my 800GS for 6 months now and it still amazes me at how capable and fun it is. If you want a small do anything anywhere bike they are hard to beat. The KTMs are awesome but more focused to specific thing. the beemer is an absolute all-rounder.

I was joking with my mate the other day who is a big KTM fan. He said he wishes he could have a 300, a 690 and a 1190 adventure. I told him it would be cheaper to just get the 800GS

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had my 800GS for 6 months now and it still amazes me at how capable and fun it is. If you want a small do anything anywhere bike they are hard to beat. The KTMs are awesome but more focused to specific thing. the beemer is an absolute all-rounder.

I was joking with my mate the other day who is a big KTM fan. He said he wishes he could have a 300, a 690 and a 1190 adventure. I told him it would be cheaper to just get the 800GS

I have to agree, it's a lot of fun. It cruises quite comfortably on the free-way & is pretty amazing off road. As an all rounder, it's hard to beat.

I'd LUUUURVE one of these.  I like that it's small and light, but with just enough poke (probably).  Cheap on fuel, and can go anywhere.  I'd ride one from here to Canada.  In any direction.

390 is plenty poke.. 

We an internal joke at Yamaha - KTM= Kick Twenty Minutes, Keep Throwing Money, Kill the Marriage.

Jokes aside though, these days they are all good - I would cross the 650 X-Challenge off the list though - we tested one of those quite extensively and we felt it was more in the KLR/DR/XT660R Category and not a proper Adventure bike.

XT660Z is a great bike, but for real Adventure riding stuff, the KTM is probably your best bet.

Thanks! 

BTW, popped in at Yamaha PE this afternoon to say howzit only to find out from Eugene you don't work there! Will join you guys for an out ride some time 

I'd LUUUURVE one of these.  I like that it's small and light, but with just enough poke (probably).  Cheap on fuel, and can go anywhere.  I'd ride one from here to Canada.  In any direction.

I want one. I will def pre-order one as soon as i know when it will be released.

I owned 1990 Honda Xr 200, Xr 500 Re, 1981 Yamaha Xt 500, 1990 Suzuki Katana 650 shaft, Bmw F 650 Gs, Bmw 1150 Gs, Kawasaki Kle500 and I rode a Ktm 640 of a friend of mine for a few 100km's on tar and gravel. Ktm was very nice on gravel/off-road but it was absolute rubbish in my opinion on the tar with the vibration. Apparently the vibration problem is a trademark on the 640's? Must say the older 1150 Bmw is a very nice bike. I watched "The bike show" on Dstv where they tested the new Ktm 1090? and the tests where very good, they enjoyed him even more than the Ktm 1190 (thats the on-off dually bikes)

Thanks! 

BTW, popped in at Yamaha PE this afternoon to say howzit only to find out from Eugene you don't work there! Will join you guys for an out ride some time

I was the Product Manager at Yamaha SA up to 2011 when after the big Bidvest takeover there was a general "clean-out" of McCarthy Men to be replaced by Bidvest Men. I wasn't prepared to agree to sell direct from the World of Yamaha in Woodmead bypassing the Dealer Network, so I left before things turned nasty.....

• 3 weeks later...

I realise this is not the classifieds, so sorry BUT I am leaving SA next week and still have this laying around - anyone interested?

Sparx Che' Guevara edition helmet - size (M).

Is in good condition still.

Comes with a spare tinted visor that's never been used and I'll throw in a pair of Karl Wolf (L) gloves, used but in good to fair condition.

All = R750

PM or call me on my mobile if interested. 0728520068

post-72483-0-61795700-1445007409_thumb.jpg