Basic Etiquette - Andrew Joubert Letter in "Bicycling" This Month

Guest Zeitgeist

Two things from my side:

1. As mentioned by many posters in the past, I do think that when race organisers mix the long and short routes, it is dangerous (with riders of different speed and experience levels being filtered into one hot mess).

2. HOWEVER, should you choose to start in the "funrider" shorter groups, you are clearly just doing the "race" for a fun day out and shouldn't be too worried about "racing" and the OP therefore does have a point in his animated rant.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless of ego, experience, hub points, willy size etc the olde "keep left pass right" rule would make cycling better for everyone - fast or slow.

Hail Eldron :clap:

When I bonk during races I unashamedly suck wheel on the blue labels.

On the other hand when I'm having a good race (that is being able to cling on to the back markers of group KL) I pass these poor struggling souls with an air of superiority on my way to the finish line.

I think that race organisers should include a basic etiquette section in their entries... I have seen it in some MTB races. Unfortunately, fun-riders just don't know about basic roadie etiquette. I remember the first time I started riding road I thought that roadies had their own sign-language that involved wafting motions from their backsides. As with any sport (I can't tell you how many times I got sh@t on when I started surfing), it take a little bit of time to learn etiquette.

That being said, I have almost been taken out by the "fun riders" who veered across my line. As I have entered more races and my seeding has improved this has become less of a problem, but it still happens. There is no reason why the fun riders can't enjoy their rides and still adhere to etiquette, assuming they are made aware of the etiquette first.

:blush: :blush: :blush: thats why i thought i think the dr is getting old he needs READING GLASSES

It's worse than that...... should know on the 10th just how much worse.... :)

How about the seeded frothers who all bunch on the white line from the get go and then try to overtake over the while line leaving a massive gap all the way on the left. I've taken to overtaking in the huge open space on the inside. No one else is using it... actually it must be a South African thing. Your freeways are just like that as well - all to the outside and sit there no matter what speed or if you have to turn off.

Left is the new right.

Regardless of ego, experience, hub points, willy size etc the olde "keep left pass right" rule would make cycling better for everyone - fast or slow.

I tried this in a MTB race this weekend and was told the I should walk on the Right as the racing line was on the Left.......... :cursing:

Sorry, wrong thread :oops:

I think that race organisers should include a basic etiquette section in their entries... I have seen it in some MTB races. Unfortunately, fun-riders just don't know about basic roadie etiquette. I remember the first time I started riding road I thought that roadies had their own sign-language that involved wafting motions from their backsides. As with any sport (I can't tell you how many times I got sh@t on when I started surfing), it take a little bit of time to learn etiquette.

That being said, I have almost been taken out by the "fun riders" who veered across my line. As I have entered more races and my seeding has improved this has become less of a problem, but it still happens. There is no reason why the fun riders can't enjoy their rides and still adhere to etiquette, assuming they are made aware of the etiquette first.

In my days etiquette wasn't something that was taught per se. Those long pumps running along your seat tube were there for more than one reason, as my ex Rhodesian champion/mentor demonstrated to me on more than one occasion. Those were the days of national service / initiation and PK's, and we knew exactly where we stood in the pecking order.

In the 80's they used to let some of us laaities without track bikes train with the big okes on the track, under one condition, "don't touch your brakes". I only made that mistake once, and found out the hard way what being 'switched' meant.

You've never seen me trying to ride, have you? Yeah. Exactly. Lol

You just dwaal in front of the pie counter, no getting past you there.

Seriously, forget about the letter and check out the hairy-leg model they put in the mag wearing R20,000 racing outfits and garments. I'm having nightmares. Almost like seeing mayhem in Lycra.

You just dwaal in front of the pie counter, no getting past you there.

Seriously, forget about the letter and check out the hairy-leg model they put in the mag wearing R20,000 racing outfits and garments. I'm having nightmares. Almost like seeing mayhem in Lycra.

Aah, you know me too well!

OK so the OP walked into a room and shouted "jou ma se porche Andrew Joubert! Andrew Joubert was not in the room at the time, or any other room in the building.

Perhaps the OP should take the matter up with the magazine he is quoting.

Maas, why would you read the letters section in Bicycling?

ive tried to read your post for the last few minutes, but still dont know what you tried to say as i cannot get past your pic....damn!!!