So I rode a 29er

fanievb

Intro

I bent and broke a Mavic Crossmax spoke on my faithful Giant XTC2 a week or so ago, had it fixed on the same day as I had the Henderson Valley MTB race the next day. So on Tuesday I take the wheel to the LBS for some proper fixing and re-tensioning.

This spoke is the first to be replaced on the wheel and as a result the other nipples have been left untouched for the last 4 years, and they are seized solid. Spokes needed cutting and new ones were ordered but will only arrive after the long weekend.

So bikeless, the dullness forecast for the long weekend seemed to be certain. As any proper social media user would do, I voiced my depression and loneliness on twitter/facebook/google+ within minutes I get a facebook PM from the friendly LBS owner; “pop in tomorrow morning and take the loan bike for the weekend” (see why you need to establish a good relationship with your LBS?)

So Saturday morning after my spin, during which I broke a spoke on my Easton EA50 (talk about crap luck :cursing: ), I go visit the LBS to pick up the loan bike and take in said wheel for repairs.

The Bike

Merida TFS 500 with wheels bigger that my car! (I drive a Suzuki Jimny) (Deore derailleurs, alivio shifters, tektro brakes, recon silver fork)

The Ride

What follows is the short version of my first experience with the craze called 29er;

First impressions, good looking geometry and nice lines, but heavy as a bulldozer.

Loading the thing was a mission as, in my haste to get to the bike shop with my road wheel, I forgot to load my bike rack. :blush:

Bike eventually loaded I drive home with this thing taking up 75.2% of the leftover space in my car.

Arriving home I quickly set-up the bike (saddle, shifter position etc.), fit some pedals and go for a spin around the neighbourhood hoping none of my mates see me on this monstrosity. :eek:

Monday morning we head out to the local trail for some proper testing with the following results,

1. It really does roll over anything

2. Its heavy in the corners

3. Climbing not that much different

4. It doesn’t like the tight stuff

5. It likes going high and fast on berms

Final Verdict

I am still not 100% convinced that I’ll buy one (even if I had the bucks) that being said, I think my opinion may have been different had I tested a higher specced bike, but we’ll have to wait and see.

For now I can't wait to get back my wheel and go ride a proper bike. :ph34r:

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

fanievb i ventured to the dark side of the twenty naainer.different strokes for different okes.i dont know why i waited this long.but then again i have not ridden the st where my 26 used to rule.

I got a nice 29er for a test ride in my work room. Needs a bit of attention but planning to give a bit of a test tomorrow afteroon.

Not sure I'm going to buy one, I prefer the easy handing of the 650b and 26" bikes but lets see....

29er not good on technical rides and it feels that a 26" climbs better than a 29er (my opinion).

I have to agree. The bigger wheels just slows down things. I love my 26 and I wont be changing it for anything else. I have tried the other option as well. Dont like it either. Besides I am a big heavy guy and its easier for me to rotate the 26".

I understand others out there, so basically its just a matter of preference

I have to agree. The bigger wheels just slows down things. I love my 26 and I wont be changing it for anything else. I have tried the other option as well. Dont like it either. Besides I am a big heavy guy and its easier for me to rotate the 26".

I had three 29er hardtails and now I have a 26" dual susp. I love my 26" bike. :thumbup:

exactly the point I'm trying to make.

the very few benefits (from my limited experience) gained on a 29er does not justify the expense related to buying one.

my current set-up comes in at just under 11kg a 29er in the same weight class will set me back at least R25k

Guest notmyname

I'm happy on my 29er Even though I rode 26' bikes for years. I suppose it's a matter of horses for courses. With that said I'm sure I saw a video of Hilton Turvey Thrashing a spaz 29er around Karlkloof... just saying.

I had a demo on the higher specced model, the big 9 xt. The handling was good, in some corners better than my 26er fs (more grip). But those stock wheels are heavy and a HT is still a HT.

Its like apple vs android all over again. At the end of the day there is no better.

The 29er has advantages which cannot be ignored. But its fanboys must learn to acknowledge its limitations as well. The attitude that a 29er is better in every aspect is childish to say the least.

26er till I die :ph34r:

Rode a 29er stumpy the other day and I loved it. Good spec and incredibly nimble for a big wheeler.

Took a very slight adjustment in my riding style to get it to rail berms like a king.

All in all a great do-it-all bike. One I would be proud to own. This from the 26er revolution man himself. Haha

Rode a 29er stumpy the other day and I loved it. Good spec and incredibly nimble for a big wheeler.

Took a very slight adjustment in my riding style to get it to rail berms like a king.

All in all a great do-it-all bike. One I would be proud to own. This from the 26er revolution man himself. Haha

I was in the same boat.

I was in the same boat.

Had a Singular Swift 29er SS rigid etc etc and that already was a brilliant 29er. Rode it quite hard and it was always rewarding.

The switch back to more gravity oriented riding put me on a 26er again which still suits my riding style and wallet better but if I was going to have one bike for it all the Stumpy or the Enduro 29er would be my weapon of choice.

Busy reevaluating my riding future post spinal surgery and I will need to tone back on the extreme riding at some point.

There might just be a more sensible bike in my near future.