Who remembers?

DPG

I still shave with a straight razor on a Monday morning - have the brush, some good lather stuff and a great razor (with Strop) - every Monday start the week with a good ole shave.

remember my old man had those safety razors... also remember him with bits of bog roll on his face to stop the bleeding... same thing happened to me when I started with the straight razor... took weeks to get it right...

slowbee - three months ago isn't waaaayyy back..

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Today you can download anything instantly (assuming you have the means to pay for it). At one stage back in ancient history, you could hire a video tape AND a video machine to take home to watch a movie - but the video machine had no REWIND button. One watch only!

Today you can download anything instantly (assuming you have the means to pay for it). At one stage back in ancient history, you could hire a video tape AND a video machine to take home to watch a movie - but the video machine had no REWIND button. One watch only!

But you could buy the rewinders cheaply.

41dNVsxu-RL._SX355_.jpg

Today you can download anything instantly (assuming you have the means to pay for it). At one stage back in ancient history, you could hire a video tape AND a video machine to take home to watch a movie - but the video machine had no REWIND button. One watch only!

All our birthdays as kids we hired a video machine (VHS or betamax) and the looney tunes video with one feature film.

And if you were lucky the machine you rented had a remote.  Not an IR one, but one with a 20m long cable.  Which the dogs used to trip over, thereby pulling the remote off the table at 200kph.

I suppose it's definition based.

I raced a Proflex Offroad 550 around 1990/91, I remember the year because I hit a branch and broke my Clav, while doing my Victory Lap :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap: (yeah right!).

Full suspension, though not much travel.

where does the battery go ?

I used to use a Gillette, but found it to not be aggressive enough. It would take a couple passes to get a super smooth shave.

The last year or two I have been using the elcheapo Lion shaver which is moerse aggressive and get a lekker shave with one pass.......you need to shave with a light touch when using the Lion shaver, but the reduction in irritation on the skin is well worth it.

I use the Supermax blades (green packs) .... buy a moerse box from Macro once a year for around R200 and my shaving is good. 

Also found that using a brush with some elcheap Lifebouy bars of soap works best for me when shaving and then use Bay Rum as an aftershave. 

And while I have a short beard now, I collect old double edge safety razors. Hint hint ;) They actually shave well and it's fun to paint your face and shave the more old fashioned way.

attachicon.gif180422175933_IMG_2778.jpg

I have one of these (Gillette Aristocrat) with the felt-lined steel box for it, for when I shave. Every 6-12 months, maybe longer. :P

gillette-aristocra_3198931k.jpg

What do you youngsters know about renting reel to reel 16mm movies?  :whistling:  :whistling:  :whistling:

post-64853-0-67695200-1541673398_thumb.jpg

Those were the days. Always had to hunt for a white sheet.

Yep. White sheet or an outside wall (house was painted white!) 

At the end of the school term one year they hired a movie projector and showed us a film.