The Beer Debate

JOHANNESBURG - Brand Director for Castle Lager and Castle Free Vaughan Croeser says the new non-alcoholic Castle Free tastes exactly the same as the alcoholic beer.

He says the same ingredients were used in the Castle Free. He says there is a quite a market for low/no alcohol beer.

He says in the South African context, South African Breweries wants to encourage moderate drinking and hopefully build a market for alcohol-free beer.

http://ewn.co.za/2017/10/27/listen-no-hangover-sab-introduces-alcohol-free-lager

That's seriously misleading advertising. I just went to the grogshop to get some Castle Free. Bulelani the security guard moered me solid for walking out with a slab of Charles and not paying.

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Want van bier suip kry ons dik gatte

En ek is dikgesuip laas nag by Thomas Rivier. Table58, R10 Tafels and castle light. #nodiscrimination think those cheap ass Tafels gave me the headache I have today ????????

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

What we really need is carb free beer...

Want van bier suip kry ons dik gate

The calorie content of beer comes largely from the ethanol and residual carbohydrates. Of the latter, simple 'sugars' such as mono-, di- and tri-saccharides should have been fermented out, leaving small quantities of more complex and non-fermentable poly- and oligo-saccharides. Are these still an issue w.r.t diet in a zero-alcohol (abv% < 0.05%) beer?

Edited by Fat Boab

The calorie content of beer comes largely from the ethanol and residual carbohydrates. Of the latter, simple 'sugars' such as mono-, di- and tri-saccharides should have been fermented out, leaving small quantities of more complex and non-fermentable poly- and oligo-saccharides. Are these still an issue w.r.t diet in a zero-alcohol (abv% < 0.05%) beer?

That's a good question... I don't really drink alcohol free beer though.

I do have plenty enough evidence though that Castle lite is very fattening and detrimental to my diet. Every week I drop down to around 87kg's, every weekend I go back up to 89kgs - only difference generally is I will have beers on the weekend. 2-3 Friday night, 4-6 on Sat depending on what we get up to, and maybe one or two with Sunday lunch or after a race. It's very funny and sad all at the same time :)

Not willing to give up my beer, so they really are a massive spanner in my low carb diet  :blush:

I do have plenty enough evidence though that Castle lite is very fattening and detrimental to my diet. Every week I drop down to around 87kg's, every weekend I go back up to 89kgs - only difference generally is I will have beers on the weekend. 2-3 Friday night, 4-6 on Sat depending on what we get up to, and maybe one or two with Sunday lunch or after a race. It's very funny and sad all at the same time :)

Not willing to give up my beer, so they really are a massive spanner in my low carb diet  :blush:

10 beers not close to enough calories to add 2kg in 3 days, unless you weigh like 21kg's. Weight gain is more likely attributed to weekend diet change and water retention.

Well I've decided, no more beer for me until I lose this stomach that's trying to come back. I'm not sure how fattening red wine is, but at the moment I would rather have a few glasses of dry red over the weekends.

shot. will be there in December. Where do you get it?

If you are very lucky you'll find them at some Tops stores. They are like hen's teeth though

10 beers not close to enough calories to add 2kg in 3 days, unless you weigh like 21kg's. Weight gain is more likely attributed to weekend diet change and water retention.

Totally agree with GrahamS2.

Castle lite (340ml serving): 101 kcal, 2 g CHO consisting of 1.8 g sugar.

So crudely, to accumulate 2 kg fat (+/- 14000 kcals), you'd need to 140 Castle Lites over the weekend.....

Yeah, pretty sure a fair bit of it's water retention... hence why I can lose it pretty quickly too.

My diet change is pretty minimal - time wise it's actually a bit easier to manage things better over the weekend.

Well I've decided, no more beer for me until I lose this stomach that's trying to come back. I'm not sure how fattening red wine is, but at the moment I would rather have a few glasses of dry red over the weekends.

Measure for measure: red wine has more calories, carbohydrates and sugar than, say, a Castle Lite. 

Red wine (150 ml): 125 kcal, 3.8g CHO, 0.91 g sugar.

Castle Lite (340 ml): 101 kcal, 2 g CHO, 1.8 g sugar.

Yeah, pretty sure a fair bit of it's water retention... hence why I can lose it pretty quickly too.

My diet change is pretty minimal - time wise it's actually a bit easier to manage things better over the weekend.

I ride more on weekends, but also drink a lot more water than in the week. And beer. Well that's my excuse anyway! 

• 1 month later...

I couldn't do it, the beer was just too enticing.

Been dopping the following over the past few weekends:

22279851_10155854418679791_2649485809696

23032555_10155930036359791_4806464416487

23509172_10155949386559791_1432374960265

23844608_10155989118844791_5071108815012

And then I tried a craft beer last weekend.

24909904_10156026921659791_2230072857330

• 3 months later...