The Beer Debate

It is after all winter.

I remember once I picked up 3 kg in 2 weeks from drinking Castle milk stouts.

Got these in my fridge now for more than 10 months. Been saving em for winter, and now it's almost over.

Brewdog Paradox Islay

1465468112paradox.jpg

After 10 months those are properly stale. Pity, looks quite tasty!

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After 10 months those are properly stale. Pity, looks quite tasty!

Maybe if it was SAB-water. 10 months should be nothing for a stout that spent the same amount of time inside a barrel, with 100 IBU. 

Sadly every time I've tried a Naked Mexican, it was infected....... :thumbdown:

Wasnt this also tweeted by Trump recently?

Maybe if it was SAB-water. 10 months should be nothing for a stout that spent the same amount of time inside a barrel, with 100 IBU. 

Microbial stability and flavour stability aren't the same thing.....

Stat of the day: South Africans spend more of their total household income on beer than veggies. @StatsSA

DGXyOVjWAAAVBlA.jpg

from these stats it is obvious that Saffa's have their priorities more or less right.

5.8% - Meat

4.4% - Fuel

3.9% - Bread

2.1% - Beer

Meat is a given. Ons gaan NOU braai!

Fuel is needed to get to said braai.

Bread for the braai broodjie.

Beer. Beer needs no explanation. Except if it is less than bread. This is wrong, since Beer IS Bread. The ratio needs rectifying.

Come on oke's, get buying!

Microbial stability and flavour stability aren't the same thing.....

That might be so, but what in my post alluded to that? I don't get what your point is.

Btw, opened one, it was still 100%. 

PS. I'm not a beer-aging advocate.

That might be so, but what in my post alluded to that? I don't get what your point is.

Btw, opened one, it was still 100%. 

PS. I'm not a beer-aging advocate.

Well, GrahamS2 suggested the beer would be stale. You replied with comments related to barrel storage time and a high IBU. So my reply to you, was based on the bacteriostatic effect of hops and their partial benefits in imparting a longer microbial stability. Staling, in the context of beer, most commonly refers to oxidative staling. Hops don't afford a significant functional benefit in this regard, beyond masking oxidative taste products. Oxidative aromatics, such as trans 2-nonenal, aren't readily masked by iso-alpha acids or other non-BU hop aromatics.

So what's my point/s:

1. High BUs don't functionally afford extended flavour stability. But they can mask the taste of oxidative products.

2. High BUs will impart an extent of microbial stability, although this is restricted to Acetobacter metabolites, rather than those from Lactobillus.

3. If you're not a beer-staling advocate, maybe you've made your mind up already? Or maybe you're not an effective taster for oxidative by-products?

Edited by Fat Boab

Well, GrahamS2 suggested the beer would be stale. You replied with comments related to barrel storage time and a high IBU. So my reply to you, was based on the bacteriostatic effect of hops and their partial benefits in imparting a longer microbial stability. Staling, in the context of beer, most commonly refers to oxidative staling. Hops don't afford a significant functional benefit in this regard, beyond masking oxidative taste products. Oxidative aromatics, such as trans 2-nonenal, aren't readily masked by iso-alpha acids or other non-BU hop aromatics.

So what's my point/s:

1. High BUs don't functionally afford extended flavour stability. But they can mask the taste of oxidative products.

2. High BUs will impart an extent of microbial stability, although this is restricted to Acetobacter metabolites, rather than those from Lactobillus.

3. If you're not a beer-staling advocate, maybe you've made your mind up already? Or maybe you're not an effective taster for oxidative by-products?

Yes, that might be true for low alc, lighter style beers. Minor oxidation of darker porter beers can ad some complexity.

Barrel aging in itself is an oxidative process, and given this style of beer, the flavours are pretty robust. 

Regarding microbial stability. Well yes. Agreed. Acetobacter is pretty nasty, and quite resistant to a lot of preservatives even.

Beer-stalling/aging; I was just putting it out that I'm not one of those hipster kind that claims we need to age our IPAs before we can drink it. In any case beers don't get to last that long by me.

My palate is pretty fine tuned to tasting.

Yes, that might be true for low alc, lighter style beers. Minor oxidation of darker porter beers can ad some complexity.

Barrel aging in itself is an oxidative process, and given this style of beer, the flavours are pretty robust. 

Regarding microbial stability. Well yes. Agreed. Acetobacter is pretty nasty, and quite resistant to a lot of preservatives even.

Beer-stalling/aging; I was just putting it out that I'm not one of those hipster kind that claims we need to age our IPAs before we can drink it. In any case beers don't get to last that long by me.

My palate is pretty fine tuned to tasting.

Each to their own. At least you're drinking beer, and from Scotland nogal!

• 4 weeks later...

Tried this chocolate Milk Stout, it's not too bad imo.

21192021_10155760395629791_1513433660279

sis.......that is not beer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk