Trust Issues - MTB vs Road Bike

Raydek

111 members have voted

1. 1. Which bike do you trust more at high speeds?

• Road
    • MTB
    • Comfy on both

So having taken road cycling a bit more seriously recently and having purchased a road bike I have come across a mental block/problem.

I cannot seem to get comfortable with speed on my road bike compared to my mtb. I am quite comfortable doing 60km/h down a track, but come to doing the same on the road and my brain goes NOPE, and I slow down. To confuse the situation even more, if I hit the same road hill on my mtb I am more than happy to get the speed up and find myself pedaling my legs off trying to get more out the bike.

Begs the question, why don't I trust my road bike?

Edited by Raydek

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So having taken road cycling a bit more seriously recently and having purchased a road bike I have come across a mental block/problem.

I cannot seem to get comfortable with speed on my road bike compared to my mtb. I am quite comfortable doing 60km/h down a track, but come to doing the same on the road and my brain goes NOPE, and I slow down. To confuse the situation even more, if I hit the same road hill on my mtb I am more than happy to get the speed up and find myself pedaling my legs off trying to get more out the bike.

Begs the question, why don't I trust my road bike?

HTFU

I have exactly the opposite problem. Despite having experienced some really bad high speed wipeouts both on the road and the dirt, I feel much safer on my road bike. I.e. I'll pedal down most downhills on the road till I basically run out of gears/rpm's, but I seldomly if ever pedal down a downhill on a MTB race.

Okay - quick question - what width are your MTB bars, and what length is your MTB stem? Now comparatively, how wide and long are your bars & stem on the roadie?

Part of the reason may be that. I know it's a very different feeling going from my MTB's 750mm bars to my road bike's 420mm bars (yes, I need to get wider ones - just now) and my Roadie stem is 20mm longer than my MTB stem, so the feeling is intensified somewhat. It's also a very different feeling getting down into the drops versus sitting pretty on the bars, 'cos often the brake levers aren't as easy to get to as the MTB's brakes. All factors which could influence your feeling of instability.

Also - the thin wheels / tyres give you a LOT more feedback from the road, so your hands feel a lot more connected, and any sense of speed is magnified accordingly.

So - step one - widen your bars, shorten your stem. Same concept as in MTB. Step 2 - ride more! Practice! That's the only way you'll get used to the speed...

Okay - quick question - what width are your MTB bars, and what length is your MTB stem? Now comparatively, how wide and long are your bars & stem on the roadie?

Part of the reason may be that. I know it's a very different feeling going from my MTB's 750mm bars to my road bike's 420mm bars (yes, I need to get wider ones - just now) and my Roadie stem is 20mm longer than my MTB stem, so the feeling is intensified somewhat. It's also a very different feeling getting down into the drops versus sitting pretty on the bars, 'cos often the brake levers aren't as easy to get to as the MTB's brakes. All factors which could influence your feeling of instability.

Also - the thin wheels / tyres give you a LOT more feedback from the road, so your hands feel a lot more connected, and any sense of speed is magnified accordingly.

So - step one - widen your bars, shorten your stem. Same concept as in MTB. Step 2 - ride more! Practice! That's the only way you'll get used to the speed...

Yes

I would also suggest putting training wheels on the Road bike and maybe also dont ride with those thin wheels.

This will make a huge difference.

You can also just ride slower, best option IMHO

Yes

I would also suggest putting training wheels on the Road bike and maybe also dont ride with those thin wheels.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Straight rd like vissershok is cool on a mountain bike but cornering at speed not so great. Then again, brakes on a mountain bike are far more effective if you need to stop at high speed.

It all depends on what you are used to. I started on a MTB and then spent a few years on the Road and at first it felt very weird, but over time you get used to it. Then recently went back to MTB and it felt weird so it works both ways.

Yes

On form today I see :eek:

Yes

heheheheeeheeeeheeeheee

I guess you don't own a motorbike then..

With a moto it's different though. Far less feedback and wider bars (unless you're on a road bike)

Plus, there's the weight of the bike to consider. Road bikes feel flimsy in comparison.