How would you react?

DPG

My 2c.

Had a similar experience a few years. 3 taxis on the wrong side of the road and I lost it and threw a water bottle at one taxi, cracked his windscreen. Chased us down, klapped us silly, stomped on my head etc. Almost took our bikes. End result - hospital visit for some stitches for me, broken nose for my friend.

Never ever worth getting that upset - could mean losing your life.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

was actually thinking about this very thing this morning. As cyclists we are extremely vulnerable and due to this we tend to "overreact" in these situations - and understandably so, due to the potential consequences. Think about your reaction if this were to happen to you as a motorist - I guarentee it would be more "subdued"

Not saying its justified, but it's food for thought.

Very true, when in my car taxis and other motorists can cut me off or jump in the queue I just smile and carry on, I know I'll get there. On the bike/motorbike it's life and limb threatening. I don't mean one cannot get harmed in a car but we are very vulnerable on bikes and overreacting to an incident like the OP is human nature. IMO.

You have the disadvantage. You escalated the situation, that would otherwise have been avoided.

I understand the anger, and frustration of the general lawlessness. But you have to look out for nr 1 before reacting.

In the end it's not worth it. Your single reaction this time will do no good, next time the driver and his gaatjie may just target cyclists, and it could en badly.

I am of the opinion that you were wrong as well.

Remember, you are on two wheels, they are wielding a weapon of mass destruction.

The fact that you are in two minds about how justified your actions was, hopefully points to you thinking twice about dong it again.

overreaction. if he didn't hit you, dont get physical. even the act of hitting the car is considered physical aggression. Further, it inflates a situation to the point that he might take his frustrations on other cyclists going forward.

We as cyclists can't presume to be reasonable if we engage in inflammatory actions ourselves. It is frustrating: I know. been there many times. but we just have to be circumspect when it comes to dealing with such close calls. Take that situation with teh cyclists trying to force that drive to eat a front wheel. everyone labelled the cyclists hooligans and blah blah. Reality is, when your life is threatened enough, the nth-occassion may result in more slapping of mirrors, windows, or heads. In other words, we can lose our cool and go bezerk, way more than the situation warrants.

Unless you get a kick out of being chased by an enraged taxi driver I would suggest that you go on your merry way and don't look back. He ALMOST drove into you does not give you the right to damage his property (i.e. hit his mirror). Let me guess... the rest of your ride was awful. You were jittery through the whole of Camps Bay and up Llandudno and all the way back home. I guess that you were still shaking when you typed the original post.

If you just viewed it as a quick reflex test and sent a little prayer up to the Big Guy who looked after you, you probably would have been back to enjoying your ride by the time you turned onto Victoria road.

Personal observation;

I have done exactly that on numerous occasions and learnt my lesson.

If you hit the taxi, even his mirror - it will go chimp!!!

Be prepared to shoot your way out - Else, win that fight by 100 meters.

Sux - it's a no win!!!!

Edited by zaslinger

I know it's hard to do in the moment but I find that reacting with 'incredulous outrage' verging on humour gets a much better reaction, it allows the other party to say sorry without feeling like they're cowards for backing away from a fight. And as many others have said, you don't want to fight people who're used to fighting taxi wars...

Every time I share road space with a taxi I prepare myself for the unexpected. But I've also experienced more courtesy and 'gaps' from those guys than from another other driver group.

Glad you came out of it okay. Reflecting on these experiences is never a waste of time.

Edited by Hackster

So Sunday morning I was enjoying my ride until the following incident happened. Still questioning my Actions/Reaction and wanted to see how other hubbers would react.

Cycled through Waterfront , turned left at the circle at BMW pavilion and then right into the road infront of Somerset Hospital.

A taxi which had just disgorged its load of passengers decided to pull out and do a U-Turn! I shouted at the top of my voice and managed to just avoid him halfway over the road. But I hit his mirror with my hand out of anger! I carried on but heard him grinding gears and obviously coming after me. I managed to cut in between the pavement and a parked car to stop him from hitting me with his vehicle. I got off my bike as he and his "Gaatchie" (The dude who shouts out the window) approached me. He stuck his finger into my face in the universal gun sign and said, "I will f...ing shoot you! Anyway a couple more words were bandied about until 2 other cyclists arrived and the odds were evened out where he backed down and we left.

My questions are: Did I over react by hitting is mirror? Should I have just smiled and waved?

Should I have maced the F..ker?

Needless to say after this event I had so much adrenalin running through my body I did my best ever time to Hout Bay and back.

I think you let them off too lightly. Firstly, blixem the Gaatchie first, and moer him properly. The drivers are scared about losing the car if they get opfok, so they always chicken out. I use my helmut as a shield from knives and stuff and have studs on my gloves just for a great opportunity like this. Fighting after a ride is like smoking after sex - well worth the risks

Taking a helmet & studs to a knife / gun fight!!!???!!!

Unless you're Chuck Norris & Bruce Lee all in one, its not worth the effort.

Don't escalate anything that you can't win.

But don't ever underestimate the dangers - a single stab wound through the ribs will kill you as quickly, if not quicker, than a similarly placed bullet from any hand gun.

If you fight and win, be prepared for an Oscar saga and spending every cent you are yet to earn staying out of prison.

It's just not worth it.

Those MoFo's will get theirs.

Edited by zaslinger

I think you let them off too lightly. Firstly, blixem the Gaatchie first, and moer him properly. The drivers are scared about losing the car if they get opfok, so they always chicken out. I use my helmut as a shield from knives and stuff and have studs on my gloves just for a great opportunity like this. Fighting after a ride is like smoking after sex - well worth the risks

Brilliant!!

'Go Ahead... Make My Ride'