Crossfit

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys have me quite tempted to give this try.

While we're on the topic of exercise and rest. Do you do strength training (legs) and spinning/ Cycling on alternate days or the same day?

I used to do strength training on Mondays and Wednesdays and spinning on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Fridays are only upperbody and Saturdays are for long rides. 

I've read somewhere that you should do strength training and spinning on the same day, to give your legs a day to recover properly. I've tried earlier in the year for a couple of weeks, but it's quite tough to do a proper 90 min HIIT session and then strength training.

your views please.

I always say the same thing about training (or diet) questions.

Try it for 3 months, go all in. If you feel better, stronger, faster, whatever you're aiming for, keep it. If not, change one of the inputs.

We're all built and respond to training very differently, experts and internet gurus don't know you. Take tips, workouts, sets etc but ultimately its about exploring your own limits.

While we're on the topic of exercise and rest. Do you do strength training (legs) and spinning/ Cycling on alternate days or the same day?

I used to do strength training on Mondays and Wednesdays and spinning on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Fridays are only upperbody and Saturdays are for long rides. 

I've read somewhere that you should do strength training and spinning on the same day, to give your legs a day to recover properly. I've tried earlier in the year for a couple of weeks, but it's quite tough to do a proper 90 min HIIT session and then strength training.

your views please.

I've been wanting to get a topic started on strength training and cycling for a while now - to see what others do and hear what works for them.

And I think it's a personal matter mostly, but rest those legs after leg day. Some people do cardio work in the am, and then strength in the afternoon, others vice versa. Depends on the individual I suppose. 

your views please.

There are different ideas on this. In general a periodized training plan will take this into account and you will have enough recovery to not tank your intervals.

My intervals are Tues and Thurs, so I like to do Monday wed and Friday heavy weights, and Tuesday and Thursday will be something upper body / core or technique workouts. Nothing too heavy on the legs those 2 days.

It also depends on the workout you want to do and the interval session planned. In general I don't train so hard that you can't train the next day. There is some solid 'bro science' on weight % and nr of reps/sets that don't lead to DOMS.

Edited by Jurgens Smit

Maybe this has been addressed previously. Can anyone comment on how a Crossfit program impacted on their cycling performance?

I completely stopped weight training about 6 months ago when i got fully into tri training. (after about 10 years in virgin and then crossfit), I realize now what a mistake is was. While my strength and speed went UP on the bike, everything just feels flimsy with too many aches and pains. It sounds dumb but i just feel weak.. 

I can't wait to get back into the gym a few times a week, and also (try) find this balance we're talking about between strength and cardio workouts. 

(I just have the small matter of comrades to survive first.. :oops: )

your views please.

I alternate - Mon/Wed is crossfit, Tue/Thu is spinning. I think I'd be able to follow spinning with crossfit on the same day, but not the other way around - I wouldn't be able to do the spinning/cycling workout at a useful intensity (depending on the crossfit workout of course).

For example, tonight is Weights Wednesday, so usually less intense but heavier weights. Unless its heavy deadlifts, I might survive a cycling workout after that.

On another night, when we have some insane AMRAP workout, I'm happy just to make it to my car without crawling, a cycling workout after that would be a complete waste of time.

Good luck with that. :thumbup:

I completely stopped weight training about 6 months ago when i got fully into tri training. (after about 10 years in virgin and then crossfit), I realize now what a mistake is was. While my strength and speed went UP on the bike, everything just feels flimsy with too many aches and pains. It sounds dumb but i just feel weak.. 

I can't wait to get back into the gym a few times a week, and also (try) find this balance we're talking about between strength and cardio workouts. 

(I just have the small matter of comrades to survive first.. :oops: )

Good luck man all the best,

Feedback from Regionals:

After the first event Jason Smith is in 6th and Ruan Duvenhage is in 17th. 

Celestie sits in 22nd after first event.

Best placed Team after 2 events is Brackengate in 19th.

Top 5 go through to the Games. 

Hi guys, i was wondering about this thread and it's relevance to mtb. All have their own ambitions i guess so we're all looking to "cross train" to gain cycling advantage. If so.

I tried Crossfit and enjoyed it. But IMO it didnt make sense to sign up there if my goal was to improve my cycling/mtb. This is pure strength component (as mentioned above) - you are bulking up (massively) as you are supposed to continuously increase your loads and strength capabilities.

Increased strength is great for mtb and up hills....but how much is too much?

For me the cost of signing up versus the reality of wanting to ride strongly at events on a weekend did not add up. Strength training requires at least 48hour recovery period. So a Monday and possibly Wed session could/would work but then the idea is to train 4, 5 or even 7 times a week. Hence cost does not gel for me.

What do others think?

Give it a try during winter.

XFit focuses on strengthening your core and all the large muscle groups...most of them used for cycling :thumbup:

Edited by gummibear