Scammer alert for Gumtree sellers

Re::Cycling

Maybe, maybe not... the Description of the item is just very shady for someone who rides a bike like this.

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-sports-bicycles-fitness/stellenbosch/mountain-bike-for-sale/1001899281290910859842309

yeah I agree very dodgy way to advertise this bike - its not some scruffy giant or merida with a 3x9

its a niner with xt and a reba fork

if its a real ad its a very nice HT for very little money :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Evening hubbers,

Recently had some interest for an ad posted on Gumtree. Buyers mo turned out to be quite repetitive. Here's the email we received:

Hello ,

Thanks for the response, i am really interested buying this for my Son as a surprise gift for him,its Graduation that is coming soon only if you can assure me that everything is in order and it works fine,i am a petroleum engineer currently on a rig offshore i really want this to be a surprise gift for my Son so i wont let him know anything about this until it gets delivered to him , i am sure he will be more than happy with it.It will be secured paying via Payfast as i'm on rig offshore.So let me know if you have an account with payfast so i can make the payment.

note well:

Pick up agent will come for the pick up as soon as i have made the payments, i would have loved to talk to you on phone but I work mainly offshore, our phone is down on the rig right now due to bad weather, we can only communicate with our base for now.

Thanks

Same story for a kettle on another site:

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php?p=2571847

Heads up for a similar story" / name.

Was contacted by a very "nice" sounding guy today.  He was responding to an OLX add of mine. As soon as I read his email I knew something was fishy.  Googled "payfast and scam" and top of the list of searches is a post from hubland. I was shocked to see that his email is almost exactly the same as the one quoted above. My goodness this is more than 3 years later and the words has not changed.  This is the second time in a week that I was saved from a scammer by Hubland.  First this https://www.bikehub....100/?source=lfp  and now this time.  Thanks to all the ever vigilant hubbers.

A few years back I saw this Pinarello Prince frame on Gumtree. That was before the fakes from China. I really wanted it.

I phoned the guy. His name was Mohamed. Somewhere from Johannesburg. Me from Bloemfontein.

I called him a few times, as I really wanted it badly. The last time I spoke to him, I asked him : how do I know you are not n "crook"8? He just said ( will never forget this) " you just need to trust me..."

So I decided, lets take a chance. I paid him the full amount...

U

The next day he called me, and said one of his truck drivers is on his way to Bloemfontein and brining the frame with. I need to meet this guy 23h00 at the back of a Spur,where he will sleep in his truck for the night.

I asked my friend to accompany me, but he

said: "jy is sekker mal!"

So i went alone...

and now for the best part:

It turns out one of the best deals ever.

got the frame one day after i paid for it

exactly as described by seller

serial no confirmed with ASG / non stolen.

If i think back, i was really stupid!

Will i take such chance again?

NEVER!!!!!

Edited by Mongoose!

• 5 months later...

I advertised my bike on gumtree..thehub..cape town cycling facebook...

On all 3 I had same kind of spam replies...

Adam Richardson. Richardsonadam2010@gmail.com

061 011 7823

First contact me through whatsapp..wanting my email addr.

Then emailed me.

Same details..same story..etc used in scamming others.

Also got called...by another spammer...he wants bike for his wife..surprise..she doing a race the next day..will collect..or meet one snother halfway..will give deposit slip...ask my bank..he at another bank...knowing 3 days needed for money to come through..he will provide ID etc..slip..as proof.. when I said I wait for payment to be through..put phone down in my ear. The spam..

"

I'm really interested in buying this as a surprise for my cousin but only if you can assure me it's in a good condition. I am a petroleum engineer currently on a rig offshore. I really want this to be a surprise for my cousin so I won't let him know anything about this until it gets delivered to him, I am sure he will be more than happy with it. It will be secured paying via PayFast as I'm on a rig offshore. So let me know if you have an account with Payfast so I can make the payment. Note well: Pick up agent will come for the pick up as soon as I have made the payment."

Edited by dtoitj5

I advertised my bike on gumtree..thehub..cape town cycling facebook...

On all 3 I had same kind of spam replies...

Hi dtoitj5

Do you have any details of the spammer that approached you through Bike Hub? We'd like to look into it.

• 2 weeks later...

He is still going......bastard!!

Adam Richardson <richardsonadam2010@gmail.com>

"I'm really interested in buying this as a surprise for my cousin but only if you can assure me it's in a good condition. I am a petroleum engineer currently on a rig offshore. I really want this to be a surprise for my cousin so I won't let him know anything about this until it gets delivered to him, I am sure he will be more than happy with it. It will be secured paying via PayFast as I'm on a rig offshore. So let me know if you have an account with Payfast so I can make the payment. Note well: Pick up agent will come for the pick up as soon as I have made the payment."

SCAM ALERT!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Evening hubbers,

Recently had some interest for an ad posted on Gumtree. Buyers mo turned out to be quite repetitive. Here's the email we received:

Hello ,

Thanks for the response, i am really interested buying this for my Son as a surprise gift for him,its Graduation that is coming soon only if you can assure me that everything is in order and it works fine,i am a petroleum engineer currently on a rig offshore i really want this to be a surprise gift for my Son so i wont let him know anything about this until it gets delivered to him , i am sure he will be more than happy with it.It will be secured paying via Payfast as i'm on rig offshore.So let me know if you have an account with payfast so i can make the payment.

note well:

Pick up agent will come for the pick up as soon as i have made the payments, i would have loved to talk to you on phone but I work mainly offshore, our phone is down on the rig right now due to bad weather, we can only communicate with our base for now.

Thanks

Same story for a kettle on another site:

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php?p=2571847

Heads up for a similar story / name.

Thanks so much for posting this. I was contacted by maybe the same scammer first through whatsapp in response to an ad I had on Gumtree. This guy asked me to contact him by email and this is what he said - virtually verbatim on what you received. When I saw your post, my suspicions fell perfectly into place! No prizes for guessing what I told him to do...

From Adam Richardson <richardsonadam2010@gmail.com>

I'm really interested in buying this as a surprise for my cousin but only if you can assure me it's in a good condition. I am a petroleum engineer currently on a rig offshore. I really want this to be a surprise for my cousin so I won't let him know anything about this until it gets delivered to him, I am sure he will be more than happy with it. It will be secured paying via PayFast as I'm on a rig offshore. So let me know if you have an account with Payfast so I can make the payment. Note well: Pickup agent will come for the pickup as soon as I have made the payment.

and another from Adam richardson. His telephone number is 0610117823

Thanks for the response, I'm really interested in buying this as a surprise for my cousin but only if you can assure me it's in a good condition. I am a petroleum engineer currently on a rig offshore. I really want this to be a surprise for my cousin so I won't let him know anything about this until it gets delivered to him, I am sure he will be more than happy with it. It will be secured paying via PayFast as I'm on a rig offshore. So let me know if you have an account with Payfast so I can make the payment. Note well: Pickup agent will come for the pickup as soon as I have made the payment.

• 4 weeks later...

He is still going......bastard!!

Adam Richardson <richardsonadam2010@gmail.com>

"I'm really interested in buying this as a surprise for my cousin but only if you can assure me it's in a good condition. I am a petroleum engineer currently on a rig offshore. I really want this to be a surprise for my cousin so I won't let him know anything about this until it gets delivered to him, I am sure he will be more than happy with it. It will be secured paying via PayFast as I'm on a rig offshore. So let me know if you have an account with Payfast so I can make the payment. Note well: Pick up agent will come for the pick up as soon as I have made the payment."

SCAM ALERT!!!

I am busy playing with him at the moment .......... he contacted a friend who's bike is up for sale on Gumtree .... this is the story:

post-5403-0-94603300-1506083874_thumb.jpeg

post-5403-0-98087800-1506083884_thumb.jpeg

post-5403-0-89427700-1506083891_thumb.jpeg

post-5403-0-66508300-1506083899_thumb.jpeg

post-5403-0-94762600-1506083909_thumb.jpeg

post-5403-0-46212100-1506083921_thumb.jpeg

post-5403-0-00731900-1506083929_thumb.jpeg

post-5403-0-32606900-1506083942_thumb.jpeg