A dark Africa lays ahead.....load shedding

Mojoman

That’s disgraceful. Someone should be hung in the public square.

I did read an article here that Eskom paidmthe Guptas one billion rand for coal an not one kilo was delivered. Maybe linked to that.

Also linked to an Eskom policy (now they deny it was actually a policy) of only buying coal from 51% black owned companies. The big coal producers like Anglo promptly disposed of their coal mines, selling them to outfits without the management skills or capital resources to deliver the right quality and required quantity of coal.

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also linked to an Eskom policy (now they deny it was actually a policy) of only buying coal from 51% black owned companies. The big coal producers like Anglo promptly disposed of their coal mines, selling them to outfits without the management skills or capital resources to deliver the right quality and required quantity of coal.

and the coal mines situated right next to the powerstations with conveyor belts to get the product into the furnace sit empty, while we truck it in from elsewhere.....

or started selling it overseas. China sucks up ginormous quantities of the stuff. With that revenue now established, when Eskom asks, they are being invoiced prices that shows they are in competition at the dollar level. ouch.

Where's zwane when you need someone to shriek about nationalization of mines. Wish they would throw him down a mineshaft and blow the whole damn length of it when he hits rock bottom.

Exactly what I did yesterday. We only noticed that it was load shedding because the music stopped playing.

Another rough day in Africa.

Ha ha, this made me laff......over to the Bose Mini with music from the phone......of course it must be charged.

Elba 5 plate gas stove takes care of the cooking and coffee. Bugger, even make coffee on the braai of required.

At a last resort.......or if Moto GP is on, the gennie is powered up!

Makes me realise that I need to install a solar pannel, inverter/battery system. Question of Randellas!

Ha ha, this made me laff......over to the Bose Mini with music from the phone......of course it must be charged.

Elba 5 plate gas stove takes care of the cooking and coffee. Bugger, even make coffee on the braai of required.

At a last resort.......or if Moto GP is on, the gennie is powered up!

Makes me realise that I need to install a solar pannel, inverter/battery system. Question of Randellas!

I've been wanting to build a passive speaker out of wood for a while.

Reckon I should do it this holiday.

I read an article that said that we could expect 5 years or more of this...

Unfortunately with 5 more years of this I think our economy would have tanked so much that there won’t be any more electricity users left ?

We have 2 x 200 kVA gen’s running on the farm to keep all the pumps and cool rooms going when eksdom loadsheds. Running at 3/4 load they burn roughly R 2 200 worth of diesel every flippen hour . That’s almost R 10 000 a day !! ( at the current 4 and a half hour load shedding per day )

How do you budget for this ???

Edited by Milkman

Unfortunately with 5 more years of this I think our economy would have tanked so much that there won’t be any more electricity users left ?

We have 2 x 200 kVA gen’s running on the farm to keep all the pumps and cool rooms going when eksdom loadsheds. Running at 3/4 load they burn roughly R 2 200 worth of diesel every flippen hour . That’s almost R 10 000 a day !! ( at the current 4 and a half hour load shedding per day )

How do you budget for this ???

Ja man it is crazy. I tried to find the article now but I couldnt. It was on enca somewhere.

Crisis ? What crisis ? 

In the two years that Gupta-owned mines were under the controversial family's control they under-supplied Eskom by nearly four million tons of coal – with zero consequences.

Instead, Gupta-owned Tegeta Resources and Energy exported the four million tons at an average price of R800 to R1 000 a ton, netting a profit of around R3bn, which was quickly stripped out of the mine and out of the country.

https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/in-the-dark-you-can-thank-the-guptas-for-load-shedding-20181204

Seems someone forgot to do some paperwork..contracts weren't renewed with some of their coal suppliers..so now they have a shortage of coal ..apparently.

Funny the spokesperson on the radio said the loadshedding was as a reult of the previous management not doing the routine maintenance and now they are having to take units down for this.

Of course we all know it is BS and that they are throwing a tantrum until NERSA gives them the MASSIVE tariff increase they want. Then suddenly the maintenance will be done, grid back to stable, etc, etc.

Its disgusting, economy again to take the brunt........

Read an insteresting article by an economist saying Eskom should be handed over for business rescue now and no amount of money can save it.

Then again our national debt just hit R3trillion today. Thanks cANCer........

Edited by Steven Knoetze (sk27)