Running...it sucks!! but......

L.T.G

I hate running! A LOT!

I don't didn't,see any point to it!

I also have a dodgy ankle that was cracked during an indoor soccer match way back when, that gives a ton of grief sometimes when on foot,

BUT.....

I Love my riding SO much, I just want to do whatever I can to be fitter to enjoy it more.

Not to win races ( :D as if that could EVER happen) not to get better batch starts (for races I don't enter anymore), just to improve my fitness, to not sukkel (as much) up climbs and combat the dreaded drags that I hate so much...

IT WORKS!

since the start of the year, I've been getting little runs in here and there. only 3 to about 6 km at a time, but when using muscles I didn't normally use, it feels like riding at least 30km.

So now, when the time presents itself, instead of going for lunch, I go for a run. I barely break 7 mins/km, so I won't be doing comrades any time soon, but I've seen a significant improvement in my fitness.

I'm not faster, things are just happening easier :clap:

Edited by L.T.G

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Running helps your cycling and most Pro riders run in the off season.Most of them can also run a sub 40min 10km :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Keep going after winter you''ll be lighter and stronger :clap:  :clap:

Only because I am being a biatchhh "you'll be lighter and stronger"

And the award goes to capt obvious ;) that's why I wish I could run :(

Agreed. You get so much more fitness from running. Not just bike fitness, it's overall fitness.

I did a run on the treadmill (3kms) about 2 weeks ago and did my first ever duathlon yesterday. I was sore in places I didn't even know I had places. Run was only 5kms and it wasn't to bad at all but boy did I pay for it afterwards.

I cramped 10kms into the bike leg and that persisted for 40kms. That for a run of 5kms.

But a 20 min run is the equivalent of 60min on the bike. IMO. When you're short of time to bike. Go run.

Damn I agree running sucks. And I used to be a runner,marathons etc.

Haven't run or played football in years only cycled. Last year ran round rietvlei ( yellow course only ) coz my daughter wanted ride and it was easier to run and keep her on the path and grb her when she went bundu bashing.

All I can say is bollocks to that ,I hurt in places I forgot or didn't even know I had.

Really wish I could find the minerals to go running again.As I know that if it was hurting muscles I don't use, surely I could as the L.T.G said be stronger and eventually faster with less effort.

Edited by Aka pikey

I hate running! A LOT!

I don't didn't,see any point to it!

I also have a dodgy ankle that was cracked during an indoor soccer match way back when, that gives a ton of grief sometimes when on foot,

BUT.....

I Love my riding SO much, I just want to whatever I can to be fitter to enjoy it more.

Not to win races ( :D  as if that could EVER happen) not to get better batch starts (for races I don't enter anymore), just to improve my fitness, to not sukkel (as much) up climbs and combat the dreaded drags that I hate so much... 

IT WORKS!

since the start of the year, I've been getting little runs in here and there. only 3 to about 6 km at a time, but when using muscles I didn't normally use, it feels like riding at least 30km.

So now, when the time presents itself, instead of going for lunch, I go for a run. I barely break 7 mins/km, so I won't be doing comrades any time soon, but I've seen a significant improvement in my fitness.

I'm not faster, things are just happening easier :clap:  

I used to hate running too but its one of those things where if you do it more often it gets easier. Im actually really enjoying running lately and it sure has helped my cycling.

I read that besides for a good cardiovascular workout, running has absolutely no benefit to one's cycling, unless if you run stairs or uphill.

I read that besides for a good cardiovascular workout, running has absolutely no benefit to one's cycling, unless if you run stairs or uphill.

Sometimes things you read lie.... Sometimes ....

Edited by L.T.G

The wheel was invented for a reason.  So I don't have to run anymore.  I hate running.  Only an ipod with amazing music can make it slightly tolerable :wacko:

Totally agree! But.... That's why my post had the " but"

Who would choose to run on flats alone...

I think it goes beyond cardiovascular fitness. I am by no means an expert on any of this, but why would it not improve the way your body handles lactic acid? Why would it not push your pain threshold limits? 

Not only that but some impact is good for strengthening bones - something which cyclists tend to ignore.

Man was made to run, not to ride a bike.....Wimmin maybe not but then someone invented sports bra's. 

Running is the simplest form of exercise you can do, but it will never be as much fun as a good bit of mtb single track. 

Sooooo Dips, why can you ride but not run...man boobs? :eek: