Pyga Industries launches the Stage: a new carbon marathon bike with a twist

News bot

OK. But throwing a SID fork on the Pyga is going to drop close to R10k off the price, probably a bit less. Take the Pyga down to say R87.5k, which is a good whack cheaper than the Spez's mentioned above, with very similar spec.

I can't see the RS1 taking off here, so this is probably a good comparison.

Looks like good value for money, but I suppose when you're dropping that amount of cash for a bike, value for money isn't that much of an issue.

I actually think it would make more sense to spec the bike with a sid instead of the rs1. I am yet to meet someone who like the rs1.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually think it would make more sense to spec the bike with a sid instead of the rs1. I am yet to meet someone who like the rs1.

Agree. Jury still out on the RS1, while SID is proven tech. Only people who seem to be pushing the RS1 are RS marketing.

Beautiful piece off machinery can I trade my old dikwiel in .

It's true jealousy makes me nasty because I can not have

it.

But what have they been smoking can I have some off that

please overpriced

Haha. Classic!

the one thing Phillip proved again this morning is that he is fast and exceptionally smooth and the dh st...

Hi guys,

This has been an interesting read, with a lot of opinions offered.

I for one can only afford to look at the pics, but regardless of the quality, spec, etc etc that Stage in yellow is an absolute dream and if price was not a factor, my name would be on the list for one of the "local issue" bikes.

Regards

Sarge

I was lucky enough to give the Stage MAX a spin at Cascades on Friday.

My first ride impression is that it is a superb bike with great versatility. From casual stage racing to enduro events, my fitness and skill would never exceed what the MAX is capable of. Most importantly, it had me grinning like a mad man.

If I had this kind of disposable income, it would be a serious contender for my next bike.

Hopefully Pyga will have a demo model that we can get out hands on for a thorough review.

hahahahahaha....but wait until you ride one...got my name on the list! XC/Marathon dream bike! 

Good luck guys, i believe these bikes will do great! 

I love the opinion that this bike MUST be made dirt cheap because it is an SA brand...Momsen is not that much cheaper than the competitor brands neither is Silverback. I spoke to someone about this attitude yesterday (in a completely different sport and field - he makes radio control gliders for competition) and he as well says that he get the comment "ya bru but you make it in your garage - why so expensive". Point is the raw materials used is imported the molds to make the carbon parts cost a LOT to make - now consider if you want to make a change to the finished glider you have to make a new mold.

Same thing here, how many prototype frames were made and changed before Patrick had a marketable product that he is happy to his name to? Then you have to get molds made for the carbon production models - again each size of bike needs individual molds for the various parts, and it doesn''t matter where you get said molds made its not free. 

Then source groupsets at OE prices - commit to 1000 plus parts packages - that you have to sell over a year (before they go obsolete), pay for the manufacture (assembly) of the actual bike and shipping into RSA.

But I suppose no-one takes all this into account...I have an idea, since its so easy to make a cheaper bike why not start your own bike business?

I take my hat off to Mr. Morewood for creating a viable brand.

Oh yes P.S. little known fact, Patrick was exporting the Morewood branded bikes to the US and the rest of the world LONG before the brand gained traction in SA because of the same mind set.

Looks a lot like a Niner Jet 9.

I was gonna say the exact same thing...

These Pyga guys are smoking Tik with prices like these, buggerall local about that price.

Just to clarify: the rear travel on the Stage is 95mm and the Stage MAX is 126mm.

These specs have now been added to the article.

Couple of things to consider.

1. Not all bikes need to be compared with an Epic. There are other brands and manufacturers out there. Yes, they have won everything that's everything and that DOES add a lot of cred, but at the same time it's not the beginning and the end. 

Considering that the extreme racing angles and set ups on most XC bikes do not make sense for most riders out there, there are manufacturers who do not look at pitching their bikes straight at that market and bracket. And that's okay. 

You like your bike, you like your brand and that's okay. No need to bash all the rest and at every opportunity tell everyone how not worthy any other bike is.

2. Specialized, like many other manufacturers, manufactures 1000's of frames a year, for several years now. It would only make sense for them to be able to negotiate a killer deal. Carbon lay up knowledge and experience can be off set over several frames and bikes making it a fair bit easier for the big guys to make their money back. 

3. Specialized, like many other manufacturers, buys 1000's of groupsets a year. That buying power will come with a serious discount, which, in all fairness to them, would make sense. Add in the fact that ANY OE supplier would fall over his feet to get Specialized signed up and you have yourself a nice little deal.

I'll be the first to say an Epic is not for me. Doesn't make it a bad bike, does not make Specialized evil, does not make my Mercer a better bike.

I'll also be the first to say that they have some killer bikes in their range and manufacture some killer kit. Their BG shoes just WORK for me. Their SWAT kit is damn clever.

Can't we all just get along and engage in conversation without the need to break something else down?

Toyota / Ford

Nike / Adidas

BMW / KTM

Gibson / Fender

Joggers / MTB'ers

MTB'ers / Horse riders

Countless examples of brand and "other" intolerance for no apparent reason.

Couple of things to consider.

1. Not all bikes need to be compared with an Epic. There are other brands and manufacturers out there. Yes, they have won everything that's everything and that DOES add a lot of cred, but at the same time it's not the beginning and the end. 

Considering that the extreme racing angles and set ups on most XC bikes do not make sense for most riders out there, there are manufacturers who do not look at pitching their bikes straight at that market and bracket. And that's okay. 

You like your bike, you like your brand and that's okay. No need to bash all the rest and at every opportunity tell everyone how not worthy any other bike is.

2. Specialized, like many other manufacturers, manufactures 1000's of frames a year, for several years now. It would only make sense for them to be able to negotiate a killer deal. Carbon lay up knowledge and experience can be off set over several frames and bikes making it a fair bit easier for the big guys to make their money back. 

3. Specialized, like many other manufacturers, buys 1000's of groupsets a year. That buying power will come with a serious discount, which, in all fairness to them, would make sense. Add in the fact that ANY OE supplier would fall over his feet to get Specialized signed up and you have yourself a nice little deal.

I'll be the first to say an Epic is not for me. Doesn't make it a bad bike, does not make Specialized evil, does not make my Mercer a better bike.

I'll also be the first to say that they have some killer bikes in their range and manufacture some killer kit. Their BG shoes just WORK for me. Their SWAT kit is damn clever.

Can't we all just get along and engage in conversation without the need to break something else down?

Toyota / Ford

Nike / Adidas

BMW / KTM

Gibson / Fender

Joggers / MTB'ers

MTB'ers / Horse riders

Countless examples of brand and "other" intolerance for no apparent reason.

Amen.

I currently have both an S-Works and a PYGA in my garage. Do I think one is without a doubt better than the other? No. They're different, they're both damn nice, and they can both be ridden very fast under a capable rider (not always me!)

More importantly, they're both a truckload of fun.

Do yourself a favour and keep an open mind. Plenty of awesome bikes out there!

Edit: Typo.

Edited by Martin Hattingh