Training in winter

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Team SKY chief mechanic, a good mate of mine Gary Blem told me, the team SKY doctors order the team to take 2000mg of Vit C and Zinc daily to fight infections and virus. I do just that, but I still hate winter, even if I dress warm and go out, my heart rate and power just don't come up to where they should.... so I sit indoors, nice and warm, Tour DVD on and I hammer away on the Hamster machine, and the funny bit is, if I look at the data afterwards, I get a much better workout on the trainer for an hour , than on the road for an hour.....

I find pouring on layers straight after efforts on the way back home or start so that don't get too cold too quick.

Team SKY chief mechanic, a good mate of mine Gary Blem told me, the team SKY doctors order the team to take 2000mg of Vit C and Zinc daily to fight infections and virus. I do just that, but I still hate winter, even if I dress warm and go out, my heart rate and power just don't come up to where they should.... so I sit indoors, nice and warm, Tour DVD on and I hammer away on the Hamster machine, and the funny bit is, if I look at the data afterwards, I get a much better workout on the trainer for an hour , than on the road for an hour.....

I find myself doing my weekly hi intensity rides on my IDT even in summer.... for exactly that reason...no traffic or inteference

Annual Flu shot

B12 injections when feeling flat

Vit C in high doses - 1000 - 2000mg

Daily pro-biotic

and a few others - zinc, B complex etc occasionally.

What I don't do and should is train with a muffler over my mouth/nose to try and keep the air warm and moist when it is cold.

I also use a Flo nasal wash from time to time to keep the sinus's more sterile/clear - this seems to help.

agree with adding zinc. Got sick for the first time in 9 years this holiday and think it's from forgetting to take my vitamins and zinc with me.

That said, genes must play a role and it must be really rotten for those who are more susceptible to every bug doing the rounds :-(

I try to train 5-6 times a week.  The WHOLE year.

4-6 in the mornings.  Pretoria.  Coldest this year was -2 degrees.

My recipe:

One.

So in short you need to get your immune up.

Vit C (which I don't take)

Multi Vitimin.

Zinc

Two.

A buff over your mouth helps a lot as the cold weather tends to dry out everything it gets in contact with.

Three.

Warm chest.  Layers and layers

Four.

Wash you hands during the day A LOT!!

Five.

Avoid sick people!!

If I START to feel sick, I do something immediatly about it. 

Rest

Sore throat - gargle salt water 

Runny nose - Iliaden nasal spray

Fever - REST

Finally.....eat healthy.  A virus LOVES sugar (Acidic body) 

I try to train 5-6 times a week.  The WHOLE year.

4-6 in the mornings.  Pretoria.  Coldest this year was -2 degrees.

My recipe:

One.

Multi Vitimin.

Zinc

Two.

A buff over your mouth helps a lot as the cold weather tends to dry out everything it gets in contact with.

Three.

Warm chest.  Layers and layers

Four.

Five.

Avoid sick people!!

If I START to feel sick, I do something immediatly about it. 

Rest

Sore throat - gargle salt water 

Fever - REST

Finally.....eat healthy.  A virus LOVES sugar (Acidic body) 

Six.

Dont touch your face. You hands are dirty so point four is crucial.

However viruses need to be transferred so dont touch you face! 

Also if you have the flu virus carb up and stay away from proteins. Viral molecules can be made up of up to three parts. One of them is a protein layer that protects the molecular structure. Not eating proteins speed up recovery.

Lastly dont ride your bike for up to five days after recovery (the day you feel great)

Love your heart! 

Keep warm and DONT get a flu shot...

I arranged that any staff who wanted to get a flu shot got one. Of those who got it 63% got very sick and took time off within 6 weeks of the shot, of those who didnt only 31% got sick. ( this isnt a medical study so dont take me seriously ;) I just used this to pull my HR managers leg :P)

But mostly... stay away from other sick people!!! Cold is just one factor here.

I think everything was covered. Train indoors - I hit the cardio equipment in the gym everyday, also gives a bit of variety. Vitamin C. Avoid sick people. And once you start feeling a snotty nose - I dose up on Med Lemons and fresh ginger tea. Sorted.

I try to train 5-6 times a week. The WHOLE year.

4-6 in the mornings. Pretoria. Coldest this year was -2 degrees.

My recipe:

One.

Multi Vitimin.

Zinc

Two.

Three.

Warm chest. Layers and layers

Four.

Five.

Avoid sick people!!

If I START to feel sick, I do something immediatly about it.

Rest

Sore throat - gargle salt water

Fever - REST

Finally.....eat healthy. A virus LOVES sugar (Acidic body)

Post of the winter season

This is my 5th winter training from 4:40 to 6:20 3 times a week.

Ciplaton multivit.

Keep your chest warm. riding sometime with 5layers, Base layer,vest,cycling shirt,2 spring jackets.

I hate it when my head is cold so I use a thermal beanie

After ride get rid of the wet clothes try to stay dry.

Recover with chocolate milk.

build your immune system and stay outdoors. Indoors is boring...

I was lucky, was in JHB till end May so had some of the cold, and then rode all throughout the winter in DBN and didn't catch any viruses, thank god ! and I don't take any vitamins.

Just keep warm, and use a buff over your face/head and you will be ok.

Keep warm and DONT get a flu shot...

I arranged that any staff who wanted to get a flu shot got one. Of those who got it 63% got very sick and took time off within 6 weeks of the shot, of those who didnt only 31% got sick. ( this isnt a medical study so dont take me seriously ;) I just used this to pull my HR managers leg :P)

But mostly... stay away from other sick people!!! Cold is just one factor here.

Wife did not take it well when I went to stay in bike room when she was sick...

Archived