ScottCM

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good afternoon, running Hubbers.

So, I've welcomed some new shoes into my life and have gained some motivation to start running again. 

I've been around long enough to know the benefits of joining a group of likeminded athletes, but I also understand and appreciate solo training. I'm also very familiar with training programs. I've done my fair share of 10Ks and 21Ks, but never beyond that.

Being primarily a cyclist, running has fallen to the wayside for over an extended period. An example below of my last few logged runs (MM/DD/YYYY. It's just coincidental that I "restarted" just as the Comrades happened 😅)

image.png.a9cd7ed88f3108e186c5b074dd6c672d.png

So, my first goal, other than to continue running with consistency, is to look out for a solid group to run with. I appreciate with the colder weather that club runs are far and few between, and that a better time to join would be during the Spring. 

2 well known clubs in my area are Lewenssentrum and Alberton AAC. No disrespect to these well established clubs, but I'm looking to train with people my own age (35-39). 

So, for those who are based in the CGA area, which clubs do you guys recommend? Pirates AC looks like a vibe, and Jeppe has a good reputation as well.

Once again, I apologise if I seem "ageist" to Lewenssentrum and Alberton AAC.

Edited by mecheng89
Spelling

14 minutes ago, mecheng89 said:

So, I've welcomed some new shoes into my life and have gained some motivation to start running again. 

I've been around long enough to know the benefits of joining a group of likeminded athletes, but I also understand and appreciate solo training. I'm also very familiar with training programs. I've done my fair share of 10Ks and 21Ks, but never beyond that.

Being primarily a cyclist, running has fallen to the wayside for over an extended period. An example below of my last few logged runs (MM/DD/YYYY. It's just coincidental that I "restarted" just as the Comrades happened 😅)

So, my first goal, other than to continue running with consistency, is to look out for a solid group to run with. I appreciate with the colder weather that club runs are far and few between, and that a better time to join would be during the Spring. 

2 well known clubs in my area are Lewenssentrum and Alberton AAC. No disrespect to these well established clubs, but I'm looking to train with people my own age (35-39). 

So, for those who are based in the CGA area, which clubs do you guys recommend? Pirates AC looks like a vibe, and Jeppe has a good reputation as well.

Pirates is an incredible club. They have an amazing vibe with lots of runs every week and all sorts of paces. Try a Tuesday TT. 5:45 start. 

I started running there to have a catch up with an old mate. Next thing I was a member and running Two Oceans in the skull and crossbones. DM me if you want a contact name. 

53 minutes ago, mecheng89 said:

As a Capetonian, I've been impressed by Pirates at the races.

The support, the vibe and the gees

If you were in Cape Town I'd offer to run with you but I'm too old 🤣

17 hours ago, mecheng89 said:

You can also try Tyrone Harriers for training runs.

3 minutes ago, ridr said:

You can also try Tyrone Harriers for training runs.

@mecheng89 don't listen to ridr, he is well into his 40s..... But if you want to run a sub3 marathon before breakfast on a Tuesday he is your man

5 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

@mecheng89 don't listen to ridr, he is well into his 40s..... But if you want to run a sub3 marathon before breakfast on a Tuesday he is your man

Knarly! But at this moment, I'm building up steadily. Moving up to 2 runs a week from next week onwards, while still training for some gravel rides/events.

4 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I'm too old for running in the cold and dark. You can join me for Zoo Lake loops once the sun is up 🤣

On that note, if anyone wants to get involved with the Hendrick Ramaala Sports Foundation let me know - funding is one part of it, but I'm looking for people with any skills that might be handy (web design, social media, auditing, event organising, transport, race accommodation...)

https://www.thetoprunner.co.za/post/forged-at-zoo-lake-the-hendrick-ramaala-story

I did a little last minute fundraising training run on the loop 3 weeks before doing pacing duty for a friend at Comrades...

Screenshot_20240518_190624_Instagram.jpg

9 minutes ago, mecheng89 said:

Knarly! But at this moment, I'm building up steadily. Moving up to 2 runs a week from next week onwards, while still training for some gravel rides/events.

You probably know this, but I'll say it in case you don't or maybe it prevents injuries for someone else:
Beware of the risk of running injuries transitioning from Cycling to running.

Normal unfit people have a cardiovascular system that "throttles" their running speed naturally as to not injure ligaments and joints when they start the running journey.

Seasoned cyclists on the other hand have a very efficient cardiovascular system. So you can push much harder for longer than a "normal" person, but your joints and ligaments are not there yet.

Slow and steady is the perfect approach. And, I have recently become very convinced that 2-3 sessions in the gym per week, doing full body exercises, has a tremendous benefit for injury prevention and actually improved my running PBs too.

Edited by Vetplant

1 hour ago, Vetplant said:

You probably know this, but I'll say it in case you don't or maybe it prevents injuries for someone else:
Beware of the risk of running injuries transitioning from Cycling to running.

Normal unfit people have a cardiovascular system that "throttles" their running speed naturally as to not injure ligaments and joints when they start the running journey.

Seasoned cyclists on the other hand have a very efficient cardiovascular system. So you can push much harder for longer than a "normal" person, but your joints and ligaments are not there yet.

Slow and steady is the perfect approach. And, I have recently become very convinced that 2-3 sessions in the gym per week, doing full body exercises, has a tremendous benefit for injury prevention and actually improved my running PBs too.

This cannot be stressed enough.

When I tell my cycling friends to start with 3 to 5km and do that for 6 weeks and then do 7 or 8km for 6 weeks they crings... 'I'm not even tired'.....

Until the ITB/ankles/knees/hip flexors all ded and they have to spend 8 weeks doing nothing

13 minutes ago, b-rad said:

PHOTO-2024-06-27-07-42-19.jpeg

Is the CMA rotting away from the inside? 

31 minutes ago, mecheng89 said:

Is the CMA rotting away from the inside? 

sounds like it, all this politics in sport is just draining. Seems like it is everywhere you go, at least in all sports I've been involved in. Glad the one Comrades I've done Anne was at the realm. Apparently most of the current board members that removed her have not run a single Comrades marathon let alone a run at all.

3 minutes ago, milky4130 said:

sounds like it, all this politics in sport is just draining. Seems like it is everywhere you go, at least in all sports I've been involved in. Glad the one Comrades I've done Anne was at the realm. Apparently most of the current board members that removed her have not run a single Comrades marathon let alone a run at all.

This is the same with politics. How many of them have some form of politics in their background, yet these idiots are meant to run our country? The now former Minister of Police wasn't even a constable.