ScottCM

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They were all taking stuff then

Which is what a certain very fast American Trail runner was insinuating not that long ago. 

He took a fair amount of heat from RSA social media. 

From the latest ASA circular:

3. Virtual Running

The ASA Board has a particular concern on the virtual runs being conducted by individual organisers who may not understand the risk they impose on the athletes who may be running in an unsecured and unprotected environment.

Virtual running no doubt has many advantages, such as flexibility to run the race at a time and place that suits one best, not travelling to the race, more possible variations of participation, being able to compete against anyone in any province or country and the treasured memories, medals or prize money on offer, etc.

Unfortunately, virtual running also has its disadvantages, such as the race may not entirely actually be virtual, as you may still need to run real, performances are not comparable as they do not take place at the same time or same place, the athletes do not actually go anywhere, it is not the real thing and there is no sense of community.

The biggest disadvantage of the current trend of virtual running is the poor information to, and from, the athlete that entered and participated in the race. The race organiser cannot provide medical support if the athlete becomes ill, or gets injured while participating. Neither can the organiser secure the competition environment, to prevent cheating and accidents that can lead to the death of the athlete who may be actually running.

Members are kindly requested to advise their members of the risks involved in participating in unregistered virtual runs.

From the latest ASA circular:

What a load of ***. All of their "concerns" apply to a normal training run as well. All that the virtual race is the possibility of a "race" result that nobody takes any notice of as a) You don't run at the same time as anyone else b) not the same course c) Not actually racing anyone  

I was actually 'wondering' about some of the statements, unpacked in bold now.

The fear of losing power and control.

The ASA Board has a particular concern on the virtual runs being conducted by individual organisers who may not understand the risk they impose on the athletes who may be running in an unsecured and unprotected environment.  Like any regular training run, even race?

Virtual running no doubt has many advantages, such as flexibility to run the race at a time and place that suits one best, not travelling to the race, more possible variations of participation, being able to compete against anyone in any province or country and the treasured memories, medals or prize money on offer, etc.

Unfortunately, virtual running also has its disadvantages, such as the race may not entirely actually be virtual, as you may still need to run real, that is how it is done?  performances are not comparable as they do not take place at the same time or same place, the athletes do not actually go anywhereby car or when running?  it is not the real thing that's why it is called 'virtual' and there is no sense of community. VR does create a sense of community, reg ef the Comrades VR etc

The biggest disadvantage of the current trend of virtual running is the poor information what info is missing? In fact results (and analytics) are almost immediately avail after the event  to, and from, the athlete that entered and participated in the race. The race organiser cannot provide medical support  like with any other training run yes? if the athlete becomes ill, or gets injured while participating. Neither can the organiser secure the competition environment, to prevent cheating and accidents that can lead to the death of the athlete who may be actually running. Huh?

Members are kindly requested to advise their members of the risks involved in participating in unregistered virtual runs.
Edited by Pieter-za

I was actually 'wondering' about some of the statements, unpacked in bold now.

The fear of losing power and control.

It seems like their statement was written by someone who has never gone for a walk or jog in their life

It seems like their statement was written by someone who has never gone for a walk or jog in their life

Like 99% of their ANC cadres

If I may ask a question from the knowers?

I'm currently running around 18 km a week. 2*5k during the week and an 8k on the weekend. I know that's mikey mouse. The running really really takes it out of me but I am loving it and I have no intention of stopping.

My concern is around my cycling. I do a bit of IDT work on Zwift during the week. What I've done is drop my FTP on zwift for my workouts so I'm effectively training at a lower intensity in Zwift. My HR still gets into the red but I'm not killing myself.

Do you peeps think I'm negatively affecting my cycling by doing this? Am I wasting my time? Should I just can the IDT sessions? I really can't see myself training any harder at this point and I'm happy to be in a maintenance phase with the cycling at the moment.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

I'm currently running around 18 km a week. 2*5k during the week and an 8k on the weekend. I know that's mikey mouse. The running really really takes it out of me but I am loving it and I have no intention of stopping.

My concern is around my cycling. I do a bit of IDT work on Zwift during the week. What I've done is drop my FTP on zwift for my workouts so I'm effectively training at a lower intensity in Zwift. My HR still gets into the red but I'm not killing myself.

Do you peeps think I'm negatively affecting my cycling by doing this? Am I wasting my time? Should I just can the IDT sessions? I really can't see myself training any harder at this point and I'm happy to be in a maintenance phase with the cycling at the moment.

I'm not a knower, however here are my thoughts.

Why did you drop your FTP? What do you mean negatively affecting your cycling? 

Do you need drop the intensity/FTP for a reason?

I find that if I do a hard Zwift session, I suffer on my interval running the next day. (just started riding again after 4 years off the bike) but I feel that the riding is improving my running slowly. Getting a good hamstring and glute workout without the impact. If  do a low intensity zwift session (1.5-2.5w/kg avg) it is a good active recovery session and my body benefits from it and has little to no effect on my running the next day.

I am improving my cycling fitness but its impossible not to because it is such a low base. You are likely to either maintain or see only a slight loss in fitness if you are maintaining the number of sessions/time on the bike however you will certainly lose form by doing what you are. Without the intensity sessions you are unlikely to improve or maintain form. If you are okay with that -you say you are - then no problem. 

Your consistent running and riding will certainly maintain your levels or only see a slight reduction.

My experience as an average athlete (real average Joe, not Jewbacca 'average'), running will make you stronger on the bike. The only guys who might lose cycling strength, are the very serious cyclists who ride 5-7 times a week... so unless you are super seriaas, expect way more positives from the running, over negatives. Just avoid injury... as that's obviously no good for nobody

Why did you drop your FTP? What do you mean negatively affecting your cycling? 

Do you need drop the intensity/FTP for a reason?

Ok let me issue the following disclaimer. I ain't no athlete. More of a way below average joe who likes to do a little sweating.

Currently the running is taking preference. Maybe it's coz it's the new shiny thing. Before LD I would do 2 spinning classes during the week and that provided the intensity. Currently the running is doing that. I'm really kuk at it so all running is at a high intensity for me

I don't do free riding in zwift. I'm on a program but there's no way I'd be able to maintain the high intensity sessions in zwift as well as get up at 5.30 the next morning to run. So I've lied to zwift and dropped my ftp in the program to still do the "miles" but at a lower intensity.

average athlete (real average Joe, not Jewbacca 'average')

Indeed. I aspire to being called a jogger. I'm more of a shuffler at the moment.

Sorry for all the stupid questions. The last time i did any running my first name was Troep.

I find that if I do a hard Zwift session, I suffer on my interval running the next day. (just started riding again after 4 years off the bike) but I feel that the riding is improving my running slowly. Getting a good hamstring and glute workout without the impact. If  do a low intensity zwift session (1.5-2.5w/kg avg) it is a good active recovery session and my body benefits from it and has little to no effect on my running the next day.

This is kind of where I find myself. the 1.5-2.5 zone is easily achievable without feeling dead the next morning.

Thanks for the insights.

Ok let me issue the following disclaimer. I ain't no athlete. More of a way below average joe who likes to do a little sweating.

Currently the running is taking preference. Maybe it's coz it's the new shiny thing. Before LD I would do 2 spinning classes during the week and that provided the intensity. Currently the running is doing that. I'm really kuk at it so all running is at a high intensity for me

I

How the new shoes treating you?  Any rolled ankles?