ScottCM

Doesn't really have the same appeal to me. Of course it's the distance and an event but just not he same.

I'd rather have had them brand it as a separate event I think.

Keep the 'Karkloof 100 miler' separate, keep that specific buckle separate. 

Rather - call it a showcase for pro's to really crush a 100 mile race in a 'day', and then a multi-day event for plebs to run around in circles. Make 3 or 4 new medals for distance or time or whatever goal.

I also hope it shows them/every other organiser how easy (granted I have no idea if thats true) it is to put on a looped race which can add up to some cool distances. I like the idea, it seems a slightly different challenge mentally.

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I entered last week, been secretly putting in a few training blocks since lock down, not going in with any expectations or pressure, hoping to test out some stomach issue tactics and get a good long run in. 

I was disappointed by the forced sleep, because that is a strength for me, but now it also means one can push hard late in day one, and then again day 2 on rested legs.

If the govt drops curfew they will revert to an 8pm start and non stop race, so we can hold thumbs it gets relaxed. I also questioned if it is all on private property then it is surely legal anyway but the issue is if they need to get medics out.

The 4 x marathon format will be interesting, I think there will be only a few who make all 4 in one day, I certainly won't be pushing for that, but if Sunday morning is just one last marathon or even better a little 21km I will be happy. Cut off at 19:00 to start the last lap/1/2 lap means you need to really put in an effort earlier than later to try get onto that 4th lap.

On the shoe front I took a risk and broke in a pair of Nike pegasus 36 trail shoes on sunday with a 48km trot. Very very impressed so far, I will definitely do the first few marathons at karkloof in them.

Edited by soslow

I entered last week, been secretly putting in a few training blocks since lock down, not going in with any expectations or pressure, hoping to test out some stomach issue tactics and get a good long run in. 

I was disappointed by the forced sleep, because that is a strength for me, but now it also means one can push hard late in day one, and then again day 2 on rested legs.

If the govt drops curfew they will revert to an 8pm start and non stop race, so we can hold thumbs it gets relaxed. I also questioned if it is all on private property then it is surely legal anyway but the issue is if they need to get medics out.

The 4 x marathon format will be interesting, I think there will be only a few who make all 4 in one day, I certainly won't be pushing for that, but if Sunday morning is just one last marathon or even better a little 21km I will be happy. Cut off at 19:00 to start the last lap/1/2 lap means you need to really put in an effort earlier than later to try get onto that 4th lap.

On the shoe front I took a risk and broke in a pair of Nike pegasus 36 trail shoes on sunday with a 48km trot. Very very impressed so far, I will definitely do the first few marathons at karkloof in them.

i have entered the 50 miler. I have never run more than 40 km`s in one go , so 80 kms is going to be a stretch, but i plan on giving it my best and more importantly having fun.  

@Lexx, how do you rate the Uitsoek Mountain Marathon? See you ran it a few years back

Hi Raab, yes i ran it last year as well. 

Pretty awesome trail run. Brutal climbs but the scenery makes up for it. I saw on their website that this year there wont be any refreshment stations and no supporters are allowed.  :thumbdown:

And in this October heat, its going to be extra tough. There are a couple of streams where you can fill your bottles and bladder up.Just bring your own beer. Last year they weren't selling any beers, except for the Beer got when you finished.

Hi Raab, yes i ran it last year as well. 

Pretty awesome trail run. Brutal climbs but the scenery makes up for it. I saw on their website that this year there wont be any refreshment stations and no supporters are allowed.  :thumbdown:

And in this October heat, its going to be extra tough. There are a couple of streams where you can fill your bottles and bladder up.Just bring your own beer. Last year they weren't selling any beers, except for the Beer got when you finished.

Thanks for the response! Yeah, I am in 2 minds at the moment. No refreshment stations in the Oct heat is going to be rough for me.

I just can't bond with my Arahi 4's - they are super comfortable for about 5 or so km but then the pressure on the inside of my arch starts and by the time I have hit 10km I have blood blisters.  I initially thought that it was just a new shoe and my feet would toughen up but 350km's later and I still get blisters - and it's not a rubbing blister where the skin comes off but a pressure one so it must be the arch support I guess.  I ran for 5 years with various models of Puma Faas, but it looks like Puma SA is moving more towards Sneakers and Leisure shoes as opposed to Athletic shoes so I thought I would try the Arahis.  Not sure what to try next I'm afraid.

So must give credit where its due - one thing I have become aware of is that while the shoes did give me blisters, when I upped my running mileage with my previous brand I always developed really bad sciatic nerve pain. I could manage it with stretching and a bit of core, but I always knew I was upping my km's when I got out of my car after sitting in traffic for an hour and my back lower leg was almost numb.  With the Arahi's this hasn't happened - it might be a coincidence, but I'm up to 40km a week now and still no pain so I can only think this is attributed to the extra support in the arch.

So with this in mind I went to the Hoka warehouse yesterday and had a brilliant chat with the guys there.  Bought another pair or Arahi's but this time with a different inner sole which we hope will solve the blister problem.  Makes a real difference when you deal with someone who believes in their brand and actually goes our of their way to try and assist with a solution.

Thanks for the response! Yeah, I am in 2 minds at the moment. No refreshment stations in the Oct heat is going to be rough for me.

It's def gonna be tough. And it's going to be a staggered start...

My friend got some new Saucony trail shoes last week. After the first run, she noticed this:

Terrible shame again if this durability is not consistent.  Reports from terrible to incredible durable..

No 1

Thats the second review I've seen where the Endorphin Speed was preferred over the Pro.

And I really do hope I get to try the Alphafly some time in my life. They just look so mental.

attachicon.gifIMG_0546.JPG

Yet again ASA doing what they do best...absolutely nothing. No athletes going to World 21k champs. They must take the medal for the most useless sporting body in SA?

Pathetic... The words best Marathon runners are in London in October. The world's best athletes are in diamond league events throughout Europe.. And the world's best will be at the 21 champs. Any track and field medal at tokyo next year will be no thanks to ASA. Useless impotent corrupt body

Wow!

This is amazing...14 everests, 1400km of running, 1400km of cycling and some kayaking in 32 days

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEpLuMVC-6i/?igshid=1allqtg7l7vbf

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_rtV0Ik1VhY0/S9vYLdO7rkI/AAAAAAAAISg/lSiKJaU6FkM/s1600/SpykesRoute.jpg

This puts that record to scale. Absolute beast, I am so jealous of him.

We summit-ted less than 10 of those in Itera last year and they were all spectacular. The highest is lower than we live at here in GP but the reality is they are all tough and the weather there will hammer you. Apart from all the bogs and swamps and midges in between. What an epic adventure he must have had.