ScottCM

On 2/20/2024 at 11:22 AM, Shebeen said:

training is behind schedule!

but there is time!

Get to a doctor or physio asap, there are lots of excerices and stretching that can resolve teh issue.

I usually do barefoor speed work on a grass field once or twice a month and never had and injuries. 

Physios can also help with alternatives to stay fit in the down time, increasing core strenth and wattbike are great alternatives when not running  

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, tjommies3 said:

Not in the mood to train but I am training. Seems like I'm currently in the 'train smarter, not harder' group. Last race I tried was a marathon. Fortunately, it was a double lap, so I just went for the HM. Will be trying my luck again at the Cape Gate Vaal Marathon. Thereafter, I will be winding down a bit due to Ramadhan and the mileage will be high but due to short runs not LSD runs. Prepping for Comrades seems a bit tricky at the moment but I'm sure that I'll be ok.

Speedy recovery to those experiencing a few niggles.

Good luck with Cape Gate Vaal and then the fast after that for Ramadhan. That will be tough but I am sure consistency in lots of shorter runs will keep you fit

On 2/9/2024 at 1:37 PM, peepeekaitjie said:

So, how do I go about getting a running problem? I walk briskly for about 11 km a day and got to thinking, if I started running, it wouldn't take as much time. Honestly, I am clueless.

If you use Intervals.icu you can use my shared 0-5Km training plan, which goes up to 10Km in 14 weeks. I've used it twice before, and just started again after a few years of running hibernation.
image.png.467da709e714ab870aec2be09ff7df72.png 

1 hour ago, Zama7 said:

Anyone have the seeding cart for the two oceans last year ? 

I'm still trying to workout how to register my profile so i can get a sub.

Need to do it under a fake name as I did a 21km oceans years back and now the email/cellphone don't exist to get my identity back.

cycling admin is not that bad it seems!

16 hours ago, dave303e said:

Good luck with Cape Gate Vaal and then the fast after that for Ramadhan. That will be tough but I am sure consistency in lots of shorter runs will keep you fit

Thank you very much. Appreciated.

16 hours ago, Frosty said:

f you use Intervals.icu you can use my shared 0-5Km training plan, which goes up to 10Km in 14 weeks. I've used it twice before, and just started again after a few years of running hibernation.

thank you, still taking baby steps while my legs get used to impact but will keep it in mind when they adapt

On 2/20/2024 at 12:21 PM, dave303e said:

Also carbon plated super shoes, put them away at the first sign of plantar fasciitis in my opinion. Not sure the medical research on it, but I seem to get it easier when I am doing lots in super shoes

I agree. In general should be put away. Of course for that event or specific peed session whip them out. The amount of people I see who use Next % as an everyday very slow jogging shoe or even walking shoe is unreal. Superb marketing and hype has been created by the brands. 

Just now, b-rad said:

I agree. In general should be put away. Of course for that event or specific peed session whip them out. The amount of people I see who use Next % as an everyday very slow jogging shoe or even walking shoe is unreal. Superb marketing and hype has been created by the brands. 

I have seen a few articles looking at the relation between carbon plated shoes and stress fractures as well. I saw a friend the other day go down with a stress fracture in the foot. A few 130+km weeks with almost no taper into a marathon, lots of time in carbon shoes and the big effort on the day drove in the final nail.

'24 sanlam marathon to qualify for '25 two oceans followed by hopefully '25 Comrades. Now with all this running ahead, last year I had enough problems with electrolyte and magnesium deficiencies and want to avoid this. I sweat profusely and know I can't get around this, even in winter. But the price of specifically Slowmag and Rehydrate are insane when you add up the months - is it just as simple as popping into the pharmacy and asking for any generic no-name alternatives? Or is there truly a reason for the pricier better known brands? Yes I'm a cheapskate.

On 2/21/2024 at 3:30 PM, Frosty said:

If you use Intervals.icu you can use my shared 0-5Km training plan, which goes up to 10Km in 14 weeks. I've used it twice before, and just started again after a few years of running hibernation.
image.png.467da709e714ab870aec2be09ff7df72.png 

I also had to start this running thing earlier in the week.  Will be working very long hours the next 2 months, so perhaps a run or 2 will help maintain the fitness somewhat.

Running is HARD on the (my) body!!!

I'm fine from a HR perspective, but the rest of me is shot, and I'm only running a 2.5 (16min).  I'm sure it will get better.

14 hours ago, Vallende Vaandel said:

'24 sanlam marathon to qualify for '25 two oceans followed by hopefully '25 Comrades. Now with all this running ahead, last year I had enough problems with electrolyte and magnesium deficiencies and want to avoid this. I sweat profusely and know I can't get around this, even in winter. But the price of specifically Slowmag and Rehydrate are insane when you add up the months - is it just as simple as popping into the pharmacy and asking for any generic no-name alternatives? Or is there truly a reason for the pricier better known brands? Yes I'm a cheapskate.

So at dischem there is a brand lifestyle electrolytes. R110 for 30 tablets, works out at R3,60 a bottle. Biogen also has Performx Electrolyte fizzy tablets which go at R4,20 a bottle. I have found they are bang for buck the best options. Revive has the heaviest dose of sodium but not much more magnesium and potassium than the biogen. Also works out at R16 a bottle for Revive which is the same price as normal rehydrate sachets.

On 2/21/2024 at 4:13 PM, Shebeen said:

I'm still trying to workout how to register my profile so i can get a sub.

Need to do it under a fake name as I did a 21km oceans years back and now the email/cellphone don't exist to get my identity back.

cycling admin is not that bad it seems!

Two Oceans ultra update:

Substitutions close today at 5pm.

So I worked out that doing the half in 2007 meant I used my cell number and work email from then. There is no way to get into your TOM profile if you have lost those. You can email, they don;t respond. You can phone, they don't pick up and while you can leave a message it goes into the same black hole as the email.

Luckily I work 5min from the physical office in Bergvliet. The receptionist just reset my password on the spot, took me all of 3mins, 

Then you go to the fb subs page. It is filled with masses of people offering 56km entries, (and an even larger amount looking for 21km entries). I should have been a bit more selective as i now get a female (small) shirt. For a sold out event I guess it is probably the most equitable process. You never even meet the person whose entry you take over, but both get a confirmation email that the entry is transferred. The entry is fully refunded and the subs fee is R210 (apathy tax that I'm happy to pay)

Next issue: qualifying. I am entered for the Weskus marathon, which is 10 days after the qualifying window. I have been assured that it will still be valid. hope so. (I do have that 900km adventure race finish during the qualifying window that could possibly count too in my corner).

my runway:

3weeks to marathon

7weeks to TOM (56km)

15 weeks to Comrades

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

Two Oceans ultra update:

Substitutions close today at 5pm.

So I worked out that doing the half in 2007 meant I used my cell number and work email from then. There is no way to get into your TOM profile if you have lost those. You can email, they don;t respond. You can phone, they don't pick up and while you can leave a message it goes into the same black hole as the email.

Luckily I work 5min from the physical office in Bergvliet. The receptionist just reset my password on the spot, took me all of 3mins, 

Then you go to the fb subs page. It is filled with masses of people offering 56km entries, (and an even larger amount looking for 21km entries). I should have been a bit more selective as i now get a female (small) shirt. For a sold out event I guess it is probably the most equitable process. You never even meet the person whose entry you take over, but both get a confirmation email that the entry is transferred. The entry is fully refunded and the subs fee is R210 (apathy tax that I'm happy to pay)

Next issue: qualifying. I am entered for the Weskus marathon, which is 10 days after the qualifying window. I have been assured that it will still be valid. hope so. (I do have that 900km adventure race finish during the qualifying window that could possibly count too in my corner).

my runway:

3weeks to marathon

7weeks to TOM (56km)

15 weeks to Comrades

@Shebeen you are probably one of the four people on Bikhub which I reckon can go and run Comrades tomorrow morning still dressed in your PJ`s.

All of the best waiting out the 15 weeks!

59 minutes ago, DJuice said:

@Shebeen you are probably one of the four people on Bikhub which I reckon can go and run Comrades tomorrow morning still dressed in your PJ`s.

All of the best waiting out the 15 weeks!

2010 I did do the knysna half in jeanpant and makarapa. (the next year i did the full but not sure where that piksha is).

38079_10150228147505282_5579913_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=b9145c&_nc_eui2=AeFii9pr3UvrQ9Zq6JKOs_xe45dgo2awBo_jl2CjZrAGj68kCPBtir4L32RsT45iCHM&_nc_ohc=Vvdu4CNen_0AX8KtOMm&_nc_ht=scontent-cpt1-1.xx&oh=00_AfC0Omipk4VfEwRFguIv6FRDVJMmB3YXrKNtgNyB_SvvdA&oe=65FFD87D

(and yes, I wore running tights underneath. Might be crazy, but not stupid)

but I don't think I am ready for Comrades tomorrow without a lot of pain just yet. Happy to say that I respect how different road running is to the other stuff I've done recently so building up slowly rather than trying to smash things out the gun. 

rule #1, don't get injured!

edit:

found the full piksha from 2011. 4:04 in this outfit!

No photo description available.

in retrospect i really should have bought these fullres!

Edited by Shebeen

So who here has successfully guessed their marathon goal straight out of the gate?

It is flippen tough wanting to be too competitive with yourself when you have never done something before. No full or even half marathon on road to use as an estimate. I still haven't run on tar at all this year and I have trained at 1600m and will race at sea level.

The devil on one shoulder says just send it on the day and run on feel. Angel on the other says take it easy and aim for a safe goal.

I have been checking on garmin's race predictor, obviously I would prefer to beat it. But is it a good safe goal to chase and then with 5km to go- just go off like a cut snake and hope you make the line?

9 minutes ago, dave303e said:

So who here has successfully guessed their marathon goal straight out of the gate?

It is flippen tough wanting to be too competitive with yourself when you have never done something before. No full or even half marathon on road to use as an estimate. I still haven't run on tar at all this year and I have trained at 1600m and will race at sea level.

The devil on one shoulder says just send it on the day and run on feel. Angel on the other says take it easy and aim for a safe goal.

I have been checking on garmin's race predictor, obviously I would prefer to beat it. But is it a good safe goal to chase and then with 5km to go- just go off like a cut snake and hope you make the line?

I'm pretty accurate at knowing where I am re marathon time.

Looking at how I feel at 21km at certain speeds.

My very humble advice, go slower than you think is necessary until 32 then smash the last 10km or just get to the end from there depending on how many matches you've burnt.

Positive splits will get you home a lot faster than going out hard and slowing down.

So, go out a few percent slower than you think is 'reasonable'