ScottCM

• Replies 18k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Hacc said:

Good luck to all running this weekend. Two Oceans is one of my favorite races, I miss being ultra fit. 

i also miss being ultra fit but not missing being ultra sore

On 4/12/2023 at 5:56 PM, reteid said:

Good luck to all doing the Two Oceans this coming weekend.

Did my first one today. Loved it, massive vibe and if you a Hout Bay Harrier, running though HBay is an awesome experience! Was very impressed with organizing and running of it.

Wish i had done this years ago!

I had fun on the 2 Oceans half yesterday. My first one, so started in the last group. But man, the vibe is lekker. 

I wanted to beat Wifey's time, 2:04, and managed to sneak in under 2hrs. I saw the look in her eye afterwards, she'll want to chop me next year with a couple of mins. 

There's something to be said for running races vs solo, yesterday was my fastest 21, 20k, 15k and 10k.

• 3 weeks later...

For many Comrades runners this will be the last or second last weekend for a marathon. How has everyone's training gone this year?

My wifey and I are planning our first overseas trip (funds dependent) since the covids came. We're planning on going to Nice late October/Early Nov. And by pure coincidence there's a half and a full marathon between Nice and Cannes on the 5th of November. 

If it all comes together it will be our first race. I've never run 21km before so that scares me a bit. At the moment we're doing 5km 3 times a week so we'd have to up our game quite a lot. the longest distance we've ever run is 14km

And here @ScottCM is talking Comrades. Does not compute.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Training on the spot for a sub 9 Comrades after a good sub 5 Two Oceans.  3 more weeks of 100km+ running then looking forward to tapering to race day.  With distance only being 87.701km official this year, a good possibility if all goes well on the day.....

Running distance is all relative. once you have run a 20km a 5km seems chilled, once you have run a 100miler a 40km seems chilled like a Sunday run.

Keep running consistently and stretch the distance slowly, you will be surprised at how it goes.

31 minutes ago, dave303e said:

Running distance is all relative. once you have run a 20km a 5km seems chilled, once you have run a 100miler a 40km seems chilled like a Sunday run.

Keep running consistently and stretch the distance slowly, you will be surprised at how it goes.

Start of last year I could not get to 1km without stopping to catch my breath. Now a chilled 10 km seems like a fun run over the weekend. Slowly stepping up trying to see if there is a limit, so far so good. Just learned that jumping from 12 km to 21 km was a bad idea. That hurt the next week.

Hopefully getting to comfortable 21 km by December. 

2 hours ago, shaper said:

Training on the spot for a sub 9 Comrades after a good sub 5 Two Oceans.  3 more weeks of 100km+ running then looking forward to tapering to race day.  With distance only being 87.701km official this year, a good possibility if all goes well on the day.....

Yip I read something about the distance being shortened 

https://www.enca.com/sport/comrades-marathon-race-route-slightly-shortened

Edited by WeekendWarrior80

6 hours ago, shaper said:

what time if you don't mind putting it out there 🤐

11 hours ago, McD23 said:

what time if you don't mind putting it out there 🤐

8:45-8:50 hr. It's a long day and anything can happen on an ultra, especially if the nutrition goes wrong... but that is the goal and what the training is aiming for