ScottCM

21 hours ago, ScottCM said:

20240505_073115.jpg.2dc78aa53b654be8d78a47d6d1cc189c.jpgRace / Event Report for Ultra-X Scotland:

The event has two distance options, 2 day stage event totalling 110km or the 1 day 50km. Day 1 the athletes run from Inverness to Fort Augustus (North to South) along the Western side of Loch Ness. The athletes then camp / sleep in Fort Augustus for the evening on the banks of Loch Ness in Fort Augustus. I only took part in day 2 which is 50km with >1300m vert. With my A-event for the year coming up next month, I decided the 50km would be a good training run to test gear, nutrition etc. For Day 2, we started at 08:00 where the overnight campsite was. We would  then make our way back North to Inverness and finish at Dores Beach, along the Eastern side of Loch Ness.

While putting my gear on I heard the “30 seconds” to start call from the announcer, so I skedaddled to the back of the starting grid. In an attempt to compose myself and not get flustered, I purposely crossed the start line last. But alas that’s where the game plan and maturity (boys will be boys) ended.

I started to steadily make my way through the back of the pack but with the first 2.5km @avg 8.2% gradient, my Zone2 plan went straight out the window. Luckily we were gifted with a brief downhill into CP1. Noticing the queues at the tables and me having enough of my own nutrition I decided to take the opportunity and jump a few places by pushing on. There was a haze hanging around for the whole weekend, strangely enough for the Highlands, it wasn’t the usual Haar or Driech, but rather humidity which topped out at over 90% at some areas.

Climbing out of CP1 was a 4km @avg 6% hill, which took us straight into the haze. One would be forgiven for thinking you were in the middle of a blizzard minus the snow. Visibility was more than a 5-10m. Needless to say the term “sweating balls” was an understatement. I quickly went through my tailwind hydration (Flasks in front of vest, as I carried 2 x 500ml more in the backpack) and started to stress about fluid intake but put it to the back of me mind very quickly.

Due to a bridge crossing being washed away, we had to be diverted along a 4km tarmac section, meaning CP2 which was as we got off the tarmac, couldn’t come quick enough. This was my longest time spend at a CP on the day, spending 8min. At this point I noticed my ADV Skin 12 tore on the rear flank pocket leaving me poles hanging and all my nutrition that was in that pocket having fallen out along the way. While filling the front flasks with me tailwind I noticed that the mouth piece of one of the flasks had fallen off too. Luckily I had the 2 buddy bottles, which I filled one with water as the second was still full with tailwind. After making a plan for me poles and grabbing some oranges & bananas I was off again.  

Although the terrain for the next few km’s was a slight decline @ -1%, with the culmination of humidity & stupidity, I was already feeling the effects and we weren’t even at the 20km mark yet! When we climbed to the top of Foyers falls, I expected CP3 to be there but alas only public toilets which had queues so I pushed on but it wasn’t until a few km down the track that I realized I only has ½ a flask of tailwind and zero water left. This was an interesting time for mind games to say the least. When CP3 did come, it felt like a godsend.  Refilled everything with water and grabbed whatever nutrition I could to sustain me for the second half of the event. After climbing the 1.7km @8.2% hill out of CP3 we were treated to a lovely 2.8km switchback single track descending @ -4.2%. Luckily the humidity had lifted by this time to reveal spectacular views of Loch Ness and the forests on the Western side of her. Even though living here for almost 3 years now, the views of Loch Ness never get boring.

With two climbs remaining, both being over 6km long, the back end of the day was truly vasbyt.  The worst part being the final 830m over grass fields, with the noise from the crowd and finish line awaiting one. I have never had to walk so close to the finish line before.

All in all, a lot of lessons learned, some extra food for thought for the A event in 4 weeks time, I’m happy with the Sub7 result and might incorporate this annually going forward as a training event for the rest of the seasons.

One thing that has become apparent is that I’m getting to the age where recovery takes noticeably longer than it used too.

The event organizers were great, CP staff were amazing. They has a massage table at CP3 & 4 but i never used them. Each CP weren’t overly complicated by supplying only bananas, chips, oranges, smartie eggs and water. CP4 had some new high sugar chews.

The switchback section depending to CP4 with view of Loch Ness and the forests by Drumnadrochit on the opposite banks. 

Sorry for the poor video quality, had to use me phone

Edited by ScottCM

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, ScottCM said:

What a small world, I live on (180m away to be exact) the Great Glen Way you are referring to. It's my weekend playground. I usually run between Craig Dunain (where the high mast is) and Abriachan, which has a wee wooden hut in the middle on the woods and during summer months it becomes a coffee and cake café.

dsc_0620.jpg.eeb662d609fe026934347dd3becc82d6.jpg

Screenshot2024-05-10091128.png.8de3bf1b355513e87f2c8cf2c0bf6ee4.png

My folks are planning on coming out in August for the first time and I'll be taking my dad along the GGW for some bike rides between Inverness and Fort Augustus. 

Small world hey. You are a lucky bugger to have the highlands to play in. Tough conditions but spectacular. I am sure you are going to have a lot of fun when your dad is there( and just every weekend if you want)

Have you gone to ride Applecross(Bealach na Ba) yet?
There are lots of sections from that race that I would kill to run/hike/ride again for fun. Just mind blowing terrain.

We stopped to regroup and shift some kit between the team on the top of a mountain in the fisherfield forest(not actually a forest) and looked around to realise we couldn't see a single sign of humans in any direction. Just spectacular.
The 5 sisters of Kintail are also mind blowing. River Garry white water rafting is also really really good.

You are blessed to be in an outdoor playground of note...

On 5/7/2024 at 8:32 AM, ScottCM said:

Have you tried Hoka speedgoat? I run with Asics 4E road shoes but standard Hoka for the other stuffs

Thank you

I had a nice session at SportsmansWarehouse.

They dont have anything as wide as the New Balance shoes in 4E width ... at least that is the official answer, same as I got previously.

Thought I might as well try on a few shoes and see what can or cant work.

The Hoka Speedgoat is currently very expensive at SW ... so we moved on to the Asics range, in particular the "Blast" abd "Blast+".  These are marginally cheaper than the New Balance shoes, but apparently a longer lasting compound.

UK "11 and a half" in Asics fits almost the same at the UK "11 4E" in New Balance, maybe 5mm more toe clearance for the same fit over the bridge.  

Off course they did not have stock of the 11 1/2 in the "Blast" .... :P

QUESTION - anybody that can give feedback on the differences between the "Blast" vs the "Blast +" ?

Really need to go back and check the fit of the Hoka as well.

Then keep an eye out for who has specials going ....

PS - I tried to do a multi-quote post ... could not do it from different pages of the thread ... THANKS to the others that provided input, much appreciated

On 5/8/2024 at 8:48 AM, ScottCM said:

Sportsmans Warehouse too if Total sports doesn't have.

:thumbup:

On 5/7/2024 at 3:10 PM, Scary Rider said:

Wees 'n goeie pel @ChrisF en koop vir my ook 'n paar...😎🤣

Grap gat .... :P

On 5/7/2024 at 12:57 PM, Danger Dassie said:

Totalsports Chris? They’re having some good specials on at the moment.

Thanks, will go have a look.

On 5/10/2024 at 3:11 PM, ChrisF said:

Thank you

They dont have anything as wide as the New Balance shoes in 4E width ... at least that is the official answer, same as I got previously.

The Hoka Speedgoat is currently very expensive at SW ... so we moved on to the Asics range, in particular the "Blast" abd "Blast+".  These are marginally cheaper than the New Balance shoes, but apparently a longer lasting compound.

UK "11 and a half" in Asics fits almost the same at the UK "11 4E" in New Balance, maybe 5mm more toe clearance for the same fit over the bridge.  

QUESTION - anybody that can give feedback on the differences between the "Blast" vs the "Blast +" ?

PS - I tried to do a multi-quote post ... could not do it from different pages of the thread ... THANKS to the others that provided input, much appreciated

I used to (11years ago) work at SWH head office in footwear. The different widths never sold well enough for NB to warrant bringing in a wide range of them. 

Most brands have offers at many different price ranges. You are just starting out, you really don’t need the higher end shoes. 

You can wait for specials, or keep on eye on the brand’s websites for deals on older colourways, and you can go to the factory shops. Daar is altyd erens ‘n bargain. 

On 5/10/2024 at 3:11 PM, ChrisF said:

Thank you

I know shoes and how one experiences a brand is extremely user specific. But as someone who currently runs in broader shoes, I can vouch for and recommend Saucony. They cater for the wider foot and I solely use their road and trail shoes. I have the Guide, Ride, Triumph, Peregrine and Exodus, all in half sizes and all fantastic shoes for me. Poobie Naaido has specials all the time on them (given I don't mind purchasing the previous models). As I say, they were recommended to me as a broader shoe option and I won't stop using them until violently forced to.

5 hours ago, Vallende Vaandel said:

I know shoes and how one experiences a brand is extremely user specific. But as someone who currently runs in broader shoes, I can vouch for and recommend Saucony. They cater for the wider foot and I solely use their road and trail shoes. I have the Guide, Ride, Triumph, Peregrine and Exodus, all in half sizes and all fantastic shoes for me. Poobie Naaido has specials all the time on them (given I don't mind purchasing the previous models). As I say, they were recommended to me as a broader shoe option and I won't stop using them until violently forced to.

+1 for Saucony

I ran in Brooks for years, then decided to try Saucony Triumph in 2022 when they went on sale. Absolute Bliss!

Got new pair of Brooks at the start of this year and now I can't stand them, so will do my junk miles in the Brooks. Saucony is now my shoe of choice. 

Everyone in my club seems to have a pair of Sauconys, and they rave about them. Unfortunately, they don't seem to have them in UK12.5. Size 12 feels a bit too snug, and while I tried a 13 in the Ride 16, it might be a tad too big. #FirstWorldProblems

26 minutes ago, Vetplant said:

+1 for Saucony

I ran in Brooks for years, then decided to try Saucony Triumph in 2022 when they went on sale. Absolute Bliss!

Got new pair of Brooks at the start of this year and now I can't stand them, so will do my junk miles in the Brooks. Saucony is now my shoe of choice. 

Brooks seem to make very hard under foot shoes, while the Saucony has a more cushioned, softer feel.

Saucony/New Balance Hierro are spongy cloud heaven for shorter runs, while I use the Brooks for longer stuff as my feet get 'less tired' if that makes any sense.

Very different feeling shoes but I find they all have a purpose.

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

Brooks seem to make very hard under foot shoes, while the Saucony has a more cushioned, softer feel.

Saucony/New Balance Hierro are spongy cloud heaven for shorter runs, while I use the Brooks for longer stuff as my feet get 'less tired' if that makes any sense.

Good to know

I need maximum cushioning due to the arthritis in my feet

14 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

i have to agree on the hard under foot part with Brooks.

This will probably be my last post on this thread regarding Comrades '24. I have decided to pull out due to another ITB flare up, also had a chest issue recently. I haven't trained for close to 3 weeks now. I have enough overall mileage in my legs but no runs longer than a marathon. I would rather not do it than suffer for 40% of the race. I don't care about the atmosphere that I'll be missing as my health is far more important to me.

All the best to those who will be running. Go out and do yourselves proud. I'll cheer you on from my couch.

On 5/20/2024 at 5:13 PM, Jewbacca said:

Seems a lot of the brands are becoming more competitive with their respective products. Some bloody good pricing going around as well.

Adidas have often been my goto, a pair of their Terrex shoes/boots are my default work shoes. In need of a good resole now though. 
For road I actually won a pair of Salomon Sonics when they launched. They’ve served well for just over a thousand km of plodding, including some light trail.  
Recently replaced them with a pair of Puma and have been so impressed I got a trail pair as well. 

1 hour ago, tjommies3 said:

This will probably be my last post on this thread regarding Comrades '24. I have decided to pull out due to another ITB flare up, also had a chest issue recently. I haven't trained for close to 3 weeks now. I have enough overall mileage in my legs but no runs longer than a marathon. I would rather not do it than suffer for 40% of the race. I don't care about the atmosphere that I'll be missing as my health is far more important to me.

All the best to those who will be running. Go out and do yourselves proud. I'll cheer you on from my couch.

Tough choice, but often the best choice. The race will be there next year. Welcome to the bench, we can cheer from the sidelines for the year.

14 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

Seems a lot of the brands are becoming more competitive with their respective products. Some bloody good pricing going around as well.

Adidas have often been my goto, a pair of their Terrex shoes/boots are my default work shoes. In need of a good resole now though. 
For road I actually won a pair of Salomon Sonics when they launched. They’ve served well for just over a thousand km of plodding, including some light trail.  
Recently replaced them with a pair of Puma and have been so impressed I got a trail pair as well. 

I have been between Nike Pegasus trail and Adidas Terrex trail 240's for a few years now. Honestly value for money daily trail shoes they are hard to beat. Adidas sale shoes are stupidly well priced