ScottCM

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to hear....I'm looking at getting a pair for trail running

I'm still using version 3 with only about 150km on them - not a lot of trail running to be done if you live in the city. Version 4 is very similar to version 3, but is now also discontinued. There are a few sizes left that you can stil buy online. Version 5 is a completely new shoe, with React midsole.. Unfortunately I don't know the release date.

So if you want a pair of the current TK, you better hurry up.

Ill Add I hated Nike and said I would never run in them, but you cant turn a blind eye to their R&D over the last 3 years, they are Streaks(excuse the pun) ahead of the game again right now... IMHO

From my school years I only used Nike.  Nike or nothing...    When we started with out Comrades mission I also went with Pegasus and Vomero, can't recall the model, but it was in 2016.  

After a few beginners issues I went to SBR Sport and Mike did an analysis.  What I saw on that video I could hardly belief that you can run so differently just by putting on different shoes. 

What is the current "situation" with Nikes being "too soft" and not offering the same amount of "support" as the others do?   Is this something that has also changed with the latest offerings?  

Whether Nike was/is too soft, I cannot comment on, I am no expert.   What I can comment on is despite how much I liked them, I cannot argue away how much more unstable my knees and hips were with them compared to the others I did the analysis in.

From my school years I only used Nike. Nike or nothing... When we started with out Comrades mission I also went with Pegasus and Vomero, can't recall the model, but it was in 2016.

After a few beginners issues I went to SBR Sport and Mike did an analysis. What I saw on that video I could hardly belief that you can run so differently just by putting on different shoes.

What is the current "situation" with Nikes being "too soft" and not offering the same amount of "support" as the others do? Is this something that has also changed with the latest offerings?

Whether Nike was/is too soft, I cannot comment on, I am no expert. What I can comment on is despite how much I liked them, I cannot argue away how much more unstable my knees and hips were with them compared to the others I did the analysis in.

The Nike Vomero 11 (2016) is terrible. Too soft on the sides of the heel and not a very secure heel cup fit.

The Vomero 12 is brilliant, still using mine with 600km and it's as good as new. Much better support than the 11.

The Vomero 13 is a similar design too the 12, but they got the upper all wrong. Great shoe, but not as comfortable as the Vomero 12.

I've never experienced Nike's to be too soft. I got told the same story by a local shoe shop. Hokas are soft, and mushy and slow. My current rotation is Vomero, Pegasus and Zoom Fly. The Vomero is not soft, it's cushioned and supportive.

Dear all, I have due to foreseen circumstances an entry to Rhodesrun I cannot use.  I am musing on the best way to pass it on to a deserving runner.  If you are such a runner please let me know.  I will reserve the right to pass it on to the runner who is IMHO the most deserving.

Please note that it is just an entry.   Transfer costs, accommodation, transport, training and other expenses are not included.  Also you MUST make it over MAVIS BANK before the 2 hour cut off, so I will be looking at your STRAVA to determine if you are fit enough. 

Graeme

Jewbacca is the winner of this most awesome entry.  May he make many happy but frozen memories on the Lesotho border

Jewbacca is the winner of this most awesome entry. May he make many happy but frozen memories on the Lesotho border

PS: 2 hour cutoff for Mavis?

Its only like 15kms........

I must have missed that one then.   According to me the cutoff at Mavis is like 4 something hours and about 24kms? 

Edit:

Mavis Bank Top
The cut-off at the top of Mavis Bank (approx 21km) is 4½ hours from race start
Edited by Jackes

It never rains but pours.

Just come back from seeing the Chiropractor / Sports Doctor. Seems I have shin splints, so no running for the next two weeks. I have another appointment on Monday.

This is probably too late, but here goes. I have ran in Asics Nimbus and loved them, but that was a few years back. Then I got the Brooks Glycerin 13. I loved them, so then I had the 14 and now the 15. I have loved them all, but the 15 is just amazing. I gat a pair of Nike Vomero 12 just to rest the Brooks a bit. It is a great shoe, but I find it a bit more narrow. They Glycerin is lighter, but for some reason the Vomero feels more "race a 10k" shoe for me. First impressions, the Brooks are LIGHT YEARS ahead, but as time went by I started to like them more. The Glycerin 15's are still by far the superior shoe in my opinion, and will probably replace them before Comrades with the 16's. My running partner loves the Pegasus range, and I have only heard great reviews of them. The Ghost is to my knowledge also a remarkable shoe and a bit cheaper than the Glycerin. If price is not an issue I would say go for the Brooks. I can also say the Nike Vomero is great, especially at that price. I can not comment on the Pegasus but heard great things. The nikes feel overall a bit more snugg. On durability I can vouch for the Brookd. I am on my firts Nikes so I do not know how they will hold up.

All said, go for the Glycerin of Ghost, but the Pegasus is the safe bet and good all rounder. O and the upper on the Glycerin 15 is out off this world, can not even compair it to anything I have tried on.

This is probably too late, but here goes. I have ran in Asics Nimbus and loved them, but that was a few years back. Then I got the Brooks Glycerin 13. I loved them, so then I had the 14 and now the 15. I have loved them all, but the 15 is just amazing. I gat a pair of Nike Vomero 12 just to rest the Brooks a bit. It is a great shoe, but I find it a bit more narrow. They Glycerin is lighter, but for some reason the Vomero feels more "race a 10k" shoe for me. First impressions, the Brooks are LIGHT YEARS ahead, but as time went by I started to like them more. The Glycerin 15's are still by far the superior shoe in my opinion, and will probably replace them before Comrades with the 16's. My running partner loves the Pegasus range, and I have only heard great reviews of them. The Ghost is to my knowledge also a remarkable shoe and a bit cheaper than the Glycerin. If price is not an issue I would say go for the Brooks. I can also say the Nike Vomero is great, especially at that price. I can not comment on the Pegasus but heard great things. The nikes feel overall a bit more snugg. On durability I can vouch for the Brookd. I am on my firts Nikes so I do not know how they will hold up.

All said, go for the Glycerin of Ghost, but the Pegasus is the safe bet and good all rounder. O and the upper on the Glycerin 15 is out off this world, can not even compair it to anything I have tried on.

Price aside, whats the high-level difference between ghost and glycerin?