ScottCM

Comrades subs are starting today!

I am split in two.

Originally I said that I will attempt Comrades for the first time in 2020.

And now I am bit confused as to if I should maybe give it a go this year or not.

I have already run a marathon within qualifying time so that is not a problem.

I know if I decide to give it a go my head will be strong enough.

However... I am missing my bike rides and training so far for this year had not been what it should be.

I am currently only on 248km running wise.

I am worried about this comrades because it is an up run, I have only been running for the last 1.5 years and my head says my body is not yet conditioned enough for comrades.

The last time I want to do is byte off too much too soon and kill the love for running

What do you guys think?

Don't listen to them

Do it.

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

....250km for Jan Feb is not great... Bit it's not terrible....

Where are other Comrades runners now at the end of Feb? Think Im on 450km, aimed for 500, but happy to be where Im at now.

Where are other Comrades runners now at the end of Feb? Think Im on 450km, aimed for 500, but happy to be where Im at now.

I would normally be around 525 odd... But 2017 .. My best up run time..I was only on 450 due to missing the first 2 weeks due to injury.

Comrades subs are starting today!

I am split in two.

Originally I said that I will attempt Comrades for the first time in 2020.

And now I am bit confused as to if I should maybe give it a go this year or not.

I have already run a marathon within qualifying time so that is not a problem.

I know if I decide to give it a go my head will be strong enough.

However... I am missing my bike rides and training so far for this year had not been what it should be.

I am currently only on 248km running wise.

I am worried about this comrades because it is an up run, I have only been running for the last 1.5 years and my head says my body is not yet conditioned enough for comrades.

The last time I want to do is byte off too much too soon and kill the love for running

What do you guys think?

Will be doing it for the 2nd time this year, after missing the last 10-15 years... doing it on the couch.[emoji1787]

On a serious note: a friend that cycles with us did it for the first time last year, with 18 months of training. So it is possible, but not necessarily easy enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't listen to them

Do it.

Thought I was the only one thinking that [emoji23]. I was one of the stupid okes that entered his first Comrades without even having run a marathon yet. Done the Cape Town Marathon, Winelands Marathon, Peninsula Marathon and then Oceans followed by the Comrades Up run. After each of those marathons and especially Oceans I told myself this is ridiculous there’s no way I could ever finish Comrades. I felt so crap that I was convinced it was going to be a stuff up. Woke up a month before Comrades and realised that I had no accommodation and no flights booked. Ended up driving to Durban from Cape Town arriving there the Friday morning, went straight to the expo and then to our Airbnb accommodation.

I had the most horrible build up to Comrades, didn’t taper properly because I had this idea in my head that I wouldn’t make it to there. Stood in my seeding pen and thought, meh is this all it’s about? I’ve seen stories of okes crying when Chariots of Fire was played and there I stood dry eyed thinking to myself this is just another race what’s all the commotion about? Yet after 10h and 54 minutes of running and walking, going through stages where I thought I was hallucinating, meeting my wife halfway telling her that’s it I was quitting I finally entered the Scottsville racecourse. Looking up and seeing my wife standing there and then seeing the finish line in sight was it for me, I started bawling my eyes out [emoji23].

Looking back, yes I could have waited a year and gone into it better prepared. Would I have changed it? No ways. Comrades changes you and every runner should do it at least once to experience it.

I am just through 300km on foot this year not a huge amount and although I threw up through the 2nd 30km at wartrail the legs were feeling great.

Can't complain about a lack of km on foot though, FTP is at an all time high so the work on bike has been good. The balance is a constant fight

173km for me... was actually going better than usual, but not run in the last 3 weeks due to a bit of an injury which was immediately followed by some dreaded bug from one of my beloved littlies... and antibiotics  :blush: 

I'm going to do a jog later - I think I have finally kicked this bug

So I'm sitting with a Vaal entry for Sunday and a rapidly pending OMTOM qualifying deadline on the 18th. The other two weekends are Argus and Om die Dam...

So, slog out Vaal, pray it all stays together somehow (it's my favorite race after all) and get my qualifying out the way?

Do Vaal half, get in some good training thereafter and somehow hope I qualify at Om die Dam? I don't like the idea of having to step straight up to an ultra without a marathon... and having the added pressure of my OMTOM riding on it...

Mattie, this is the fun you are missing out on  :ph34r:  :cursing:

Thought I was the only one thinking that [emoji23]. I was one of the stupid okes that entered his first Comrades without even having run a marathon yet. Done the Cape Town Marathon, Winelands Marathon, Peninsula Marathon and then Oceans followed by the Comrades Up run. After each of those marathons and especially Oceans I told myself this is ridiculous there’s no way I could ever finish Comrades. I felt so crap that I was convinced it was going to be a stuff up. Woke up a month before Comrades and realised that I had no accommodation and no flights booked. Ended up driving to Durban from Cape Town arriving there the Friday morning, went straight to the expo and then to our Airbnb accommodation.

I had the most horrible build up to Comrades, didn’t taper properly because I had this idea in my head that I wouldn’t make it to there. Stood in my seeding pen and thought, meh is this all it’s about? I’ve seen stories of okes crying when Chariots of Fire was played and there I stood dry eyed thinking to myself this is just another race what’s all the commotion about? Yet after 10h and 54 minutes of running and walking, going through stages where I thought I was hallucinating, meeting my wife halfway telling her that’s it I was quitting I finally entered the Scottsville racecourse. Looking up and seeing my wife standing there and then seeing the finish line in sight was it for me, I started bawling my eyes out [emoji23].

Looking back, yes I could have waited a year and gone into it better prepared. Would I have changed it? No ways. Comrades changes you and every runner should do it at least once to experience it.

Ha ha... goose bumps

TBH I feel the same following / watching my wife throughout the day..... it’s stressful and helluva fulfilling as a spectator so I can only imagine what it must feel like to actually do the damn race

????

Edited by SwissVan

Will be doing it for the 2nd time this year, after missing the last 10-15 years... doing it on the couch.[emoji1787]

We'll be having a little family get together, like we do every year, in the sense of supporting the runners from the side of the road, making bacon and egg rolls for breakfast and braaing for lunch, while my brother in law DJ's.

Speaking of Comrades, has anyone seen Caroline W in running shoes anywhere of late? 

Speaking of Comrades, has anyone seen Caroline W in running shoes anywhere of late? 

Saw her at Dischem. She came in with the 2-hour bus, though that is pretty meaningless given her credentials. She didn't look all that comfortable or happy but I know she went through a pretty rough year with both life and injury so perfectly understandable if her head isn't in it for 2019. That said, she's the type of person that could bounce back at any time given the kind of determination she has.

Still, when you've got people like Anne already busting 200km weeks, it's hard to see how one would play catch up. But then it is Comrades and there are zero guarantees for anyone, regardless of their training.

Edited by Barry Stuart