ScottCM

Comrades subs are starting today!

I am split in two.

Originally I said that I will attempt Comrades for the first time in 2020.

And now I am bit confused as to if I should maybe give it a go this year or not.

I have already run a marathon within qualifying time so that is not a problem.

I know if I decide to give it a go my head will be strong enough.

However... I am missing my bike rides and training so far for this year had not been what it should be.

I am currently only on 248km running wise.

I am worried about this comrades because it is an up run, I have only been running for the last 1.5 years and my head says my body is not yet conditioned enough for comrades.

The last time I want to do is byte off too much too soon and kill the love for running

What do you guys think?

If it was me.....

I would stick to the 2020 plan

Aim to do another marafun or maybe a 50 / 56 this year.

I’m sure you would make it if you did it this year, but imo you will enjoy it more and have a better run with a more long term approach

I’m sure many will say go for it this year.... but my advice is to proceed with caution and try avoid injuries and sickness due to a compacted training period

99 days to go

Good luck!

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am split in two.

And now I am bit confused as to if I should maybe give it a go this year or not.

However... I am missing my bike rides and training so far for this year had not been what it should be.

I am worried about this comrades because it is an up run, I have only been running for the last 1.5 years and my head says my body is not yet conditioned enough for comrades.

The last time I want to do is byte off too much too soon and kill the love for running

What do you guys think?

I'm really inexperienced as far as Comrades goes so take what I say with a pinch of salt.

Things in your favour:

• You qualified comfortably, which is a good indicator

• You have the mental strength from your cycling history

• Comrades training only really ramps up in March so if you have a base for January and February, which you do, your mileage to date is a non-issue.

Challenges

• I'm not sure how long you've been running consistently but if you're relatively new to frequent training there is the injury risk associated with ramping up the mileage. This can always be mitigated with a training plan that builds gently

• You'll need to do at least two ultra training runs before then.

• Time (if you want to balance the bike and the running)

So I think the only barrier for you is simply whether or not you really want to do it. If you do then you'll likely be absolutely fine.

I am split in two.

What do you guys think?

You kind of answered this already, but we chose based on the fact that it was an up run. That was where I wanted to do my first (and only so far) Readiness is relative... 

I am split in two.

What do you guys think?

If you unsure, commit and train, but go there with back up plans to pull out at like 60/70km and make a call on the day, as soon as you hurt stop and be very cautious, use it to get to know the course, get a feel for the race and have a really good long training run. Experience is experience and can only help for that 2020 plan.

Carpet. You have the mental strength for sure and in my opinion the up is easier than the down but just slower. The down is tough on the legs!

If your qualifier was under 4:30 I would say go for it.. If not.. Wait for 2020 and throw in gym work with your training

Edited by Stretch

If it was me.....

I’m sure you would make it if you did it this year, but imo you will enjoy it more and have a better run with a more long term approach

I’m sure many will say go for it this year.... but my advice is to proceed with caution and try avoid injuries and sickness due to a compacted training period

99 days to go

Good luck!

Erm... if it was you Swiss... you'd never ever run it because you'd put it off forever. Just saying  :whistling: 

Mattie, if you keep pushing on and do two longer runs before Comrades, you'll be fine. The next two months are crucial I find. You keep going though you'll finish comfy enough

You also know the dumbass that is giving this advice (me), so I'm the other side of the Swiss spectrum. 

Like Barry says though, if you want it, go get it - you will be fine

Carpet,

IIRC you’ve been running for just over a year now.

I’d keep my commitment for 2020. Perhaps you can follow a Comrades program this year to see how you cope, but then also get some time for the bike without feeling too guilty. Join your club runners on their long LSD sessions. The extra year of training will do wonders.

WRT the up/down. Its personal. I find the up run easier, but I prefer the down, and is generally much faster on the down.

Thanks guys

My qualifier was at kaapsehoop in november with a 4:27 and some secondes.

Im not a quiter so if I decide to line up for C the only way I am stopping is when I get pulled by n cut-off or a medic.

But after reading all the responses I think I should stick to 2020. Get stronger and more comfy.

Thanks all.

Thanks guys

Im not a quiter so if I decide to line up for C the only way I am stopping is when I get pulled by n cut-off or a medic.

But after reading all the responses I think I should stick to 2020. Get stronger and more comfy.

Thanks all.

I meant 4:30 in my post. I'm going to throw a spanner in the works then and say I think you are ready....250km for Jan Feb is not great... Bit it's not terrible.... There is plenty of time to increase in march and April....... Stick with what your gut says though. Our champ minimum miles finisher Andrew steer will give the best advice!

Thanks guys

Thanks all.

I don't know I run with guys who train 700km from Jan to Comrades and have a ball of a time at Comrades.

The biggest problem is staying injury free during the big weeks especially when you start doing ultras and Easter 100 runs.

Thats why you need to build up running over time to stay injury free.

Too much too soon an bam something pops and you are out.

I did Comrades last year after a 8 year rest . I only started running again Oct 2017 and easily finished Comrades even being overweight.

It's up to you to decide you will know if you are ready

How does you legs feels doing 80-100km on a week ?

Sent from my Redmi 4X using Tapatalk

I meant 4:30 in my post. I'm going to throw a spanner in the works then and say I think you are ready....250km for Jan Feb is not great... Bit it's not terrible.... There is plenty of time to increase in march and April....... Stick with what your gut says though. Our champ minimum miles finisher Andrew steer will give the best advice!

You forgot the comic sans. 

Carpet also saw what a mess I was at PnP when things do go wrong  :blush: 

There is plenty sensible about running it next year Mattie, but just don't find reasons not to run this beautiful race. It's a race for me that you look for the reasons to run - less the reasons not to. 

But that is silly old me - you know yourself better than anyone else, you know how you are feeling and whatever you decide that is ultimately the right call. 

Just make sure you're on that start line one day, trust me, you'll never regret it  :thumbup:

Erm... if it was you Swiss... you'd never ever run it because you'd put it off forever. Just saying  :whistling: 

Mattie, if you keep pushing on and do two longer runs before Comrades, you'll be fine. The next two months are crucial I find. You keep going though you'll finish comfy enough

You also know the dumbass that is giving this advice (me), so I'm the other side of the Swiss spectrum. 

Like Barry says though, if you want it, go get it - you will be fine

Now you sound like my wife.... :whistling:

Lend me your ears ... I mean feet and I would be there with you in a flash 

Sadly my feet get sore just walking 10 km on a golf course, never mind the tar road between PMB and Durbs

Edited by SwissVan

If it was me.....

99 days to go

Good luck!

Agreed

If I could do things over I would not let myself get talked into Comrades in year 1 already, from couch to Comrades in 365 days exactly...   I would do Oceans (an ultra) in year 1 and Comrades in year 2.   Get yourself well conditioned and limit injuries.   It is not pleasant to chase these goals to quickly and force it through injuries that comes from too much to quickly.      

And more enjoyable... 

Edited by Jackes

I feel a bit lame commenting in this thread, but I started running at the beginning of the year (never been a runner at all) and have my first 10km race on Sunday.  Looking forward to it.

My average pace is around 5:13/km so I know I need to speed up, and I can, I just need to remember how to run properly.  :ph34r:

My biggest week so far has been 60km.

I am still planning to do loskop dam 50km this year.

But I now have my answer, def not this year.

If all goes well I will do comrades 2020.

I feel a bit lame commenting in this thread, but I started running at the beginning of the year (never been a runner at all) and have my first 10km race on Sunday. Looking forward to it.

My average pace is around 5:13/km so I know I need to speed up, and I can, I just need to remember how to run properly. :ph34r:

That’s a pretty good avg pace ????

Nothing wrong with running 10 km type distances.... that’s normal and very healthy!!