ScottCM

Fixed the peroneal problem unexpectedly yesterday afternoon. I was repacking the garage and dropped my son's guitar amp off a shelf onto the foot. Don't feel the peroneal tendonitis at all anymore. However...

Time to lock yourself up in a room in a straight jacket!

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Howzit hubbers. Sorry if this is the wrong thread but I have no idea where else to ask.

I recently started running and absolutely love running on the trails!

I started looking around and doing research on multi day trail adventures...I do alot of hiking but usually with 15+kg bags so started to wonder if anyone has ever turned ang of the many large hikes into "multi day trail runs"

I was thinking about something like the Fanie Botha trail or Blyde Rivier trails or something like that.

If you have, how did you manage to get food to the different huts and how did you approach it as a runner instead of a hiker?

I am pretty comfortable with these types of things on a bicycle but now that I have nothing but my feet I feel pretty lost.

Many thanks!

Howzit hubbers. Sorry if this is the wrong thread but I have no idea where else to ask.

I recently started running and absolutely love running on the trails!

I started looking around and doing research on multi day trail adventures...I do alot of hiking but usually with 15+kg bags so started to wonder if anyone has ever turned ang of the many large hikes into "multi day trail runs"

I was thinking about something like the Fanie Botha trail or Blyde Rivier trails or something like that.

If you have, how did you manage to get food to the different huts and how did you approach it as a runner instead of a hiker?

I am pretty comfortable with these types of things on a bicycle but now that I have nothing but my feet I feel pretty lost.

Many thanks!

Howzit

I have run a lot of the different trails. Outeniqua, Hex river valley traverse, Boland 90, a fair few in the drakensberg, wild coast and plenty of mix n match efforts combining day routes and other cross country no route efforts.

Send me a PM and I can try help as much as possible re kit, food etc

I'm pretty rough and sleep in bushes but I don't drink my own pee or eat slugs like Bear Grylls.

Howzit

I have run a lot of the different trails. Outeniqua, Hex river valley traverse, Boland 90, a fair few in the drakensberg, wild coast and plenty of mix n match efforts combining day routes and other cross country no route efforts.

Send me a PM and I can try help as much as possible re kit, food etc

I'm pretty rough and sleep in bushes but I don't drink my own pee or eat slugs like Bear Grylls.

Okay great! Thanks for the reply!

After a friend rolled his ankle last weekend, I almost did the same today. While he misjudged the height of an “outdoor” step, I tried those sideways jumps/shuffles while out running today, and immediately felt the pain in the left ankle.

Ended up walking for a while, then hobbled a bit and eventually could run again, with a bit of pain. Now is fine, but it is a concern that my ankles aren’t as strong as before.

A couple of interesting (and disturbing) news items caught my attention the past couple of days:

1.  https://businesstech.co.za/news/government/363014/government-wants-to-nationalise-all-sports-clubs-and-gyms/

2.  https://www.runnersworld.co.za/news/oceans-may-not-survive-beyond-2020-says-race-founder/

(Link to letter : https://www.runnersworld.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Open-Letter-to-the-Board-of-Two-Oceans-Marathon-NPC.pdf )

3.  And Graeme Joffe is giving away free PDF copies of his book 'Sport :  Greed & Betrayal'.

post-57330-0-72504300-1577179184_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pieter-za

I refuse to lie on my side to read this

Blame Tapatalk for that!.... Or the New hub.. I'm not sure which is it

Blame Tapatalk for that!.... Or the New hub.. I'm not sure which is it

Thats your problem

Not my problem.... I dont think its the Hub.I am sure its the orientation on the phone

Edited by Kranswurm

Sorry I don't know where else to ask this question. And please don't laugh.

I've started to do a teeni bit of running in the last few weeks to mix things up. Like 5 and 6k smallies. Lungs are fine. Heart is fine but OMG! My legs feel as if they have been stabbed afterwards. Is this std for a cyclist dabbling with running?

I think the stabilization muscles around my ankles and knees are particularly weak as cycling is pretty much the only exercise I do.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Sorry I don't know where else to ask this question. And please don't laugh.

I've started to do a teeni bit of running in the last few weeks to mix things up. Like 5 and 6k smallies. Lungs are fine. Heart is fine but OMG! My legs feel as if they have been stabbed afterwards. Is this std for a cyclist dabbling with running?

I think the stabilization muscles around my ankles and knees are particularly weak as cycling is pretty much the only exercise I do.

Congrats on starting to run

Long story short:

Running any distance is hard on your joints, muscles and bones....start slowly by walking and running short distances, it can take up to 6 months for your body to adapt to running.

5k and 6k smallies are not short distances for people who normally don’t run.

5k and 6k smallies are healthy distances to run once your body adapts.

Good luck

OK great thanks.

Duane, jogging is life.

Be careful you don't overdo it and land up with ITB issues.

Lots of fit guys with good lungs, a good heart and good 'other sport' fitness who know how to bite the bullet head off and expect to be able to run without 'easing in' properly.

As a weight bearing exercise it will impact your muscles far more than cycling. It will also have an impact on bone and muscle density in the long run.

If you start getting sore/stiff around the outside of your knees, on the top/outside of your ankles or down around the hip flexer, take a rest. That is likely your ITB band getting inflamed trying to tell you it's not quite ready for what you're up to!