ScottCM

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Going back a little here. 

I just watched the clip, what about it didn't you like? Seemed an honest view on the race and his tactics and competitors. The privilege of being able to race full time and viewing at as a job. What do you expect from a race favourite when asked those types of questions? 

Lets just say I'm more the R Feferer kind of fan than the Walmsley type of fan.  True champs stay humble in my books.  

This type of attitudes does not speak to me.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52n2ZFoQzNE

But that takes nothing away from his brilliance, he has amazing abilities! 

Going back a little here. 

I am certain I explained it enough in the quoted post.

If he is your cup of tea, good then, taste differs. 

Little reckless running a trail like that while filming alone and having a baby under a year old. But each to their own...

Umm.... My opinion is no.

I would rather organise a place to stay and run the hiking trails in the berg with a slightly bigger pack.

Quite a bit of the course is on MTB track and although pretty, isn't 'spectacular'.

Very achievable days though and I am probably not a very realistic yardstick as a weekend in the berg for me involves smashing out 150km an sleeping in a cave/bush.

I think something like the dryland traverse is far better value for money in the Cape if you are hell bent on doing an 'event' or the Wild Coast runs... Those are rad.

Heck bud, you sure you are not Conrad “the caveman” Stolz in real life?

????

All you mention is he should be humble. I didn't pick up that he wasn't humble from that interview and that's why I asked what you didn't like about it. 

Is he confident - yes. Does he want to go out and win - yes. Is his race strategy to go out hard and make it painful for competitors to hang with him - yes. Does he think they can - no.

Does this make him proud - yes. Does this make him arrogant - no. 

He acknowledges the quality of the field, he acknowledges that his tactic may give the opposition an advantage if he falters. 

That year it played right into Ryan's hands, when he won with a time over an hour slower than his PB and he never pushed JW once in the race. Since then JW's strategy has been right, he has gone hard and nobody has hung with him and set the record twice. 

Interviewer asked his thoughts and strat and instead of some media curated response he gave an open and honest response. What's not to respect about that?

A good judge of what he is like, is how his fellow competitors view him. None seem to come across as disliking him or referring to him has a arrogant prick. 

But you are right, tastes differ. 

I like athletes who go out there and be themselves, don't make excuses and don't have a contrived media personality. 

I am certain I explained it enough in the quoted post.

If he is your cup of tea, good then, taste differs. 

Ja it is....... Previously on this thread I posted a pic of my little signed copy gift I received in the past... Very chuffed [emoji1]

That's the absolute best! Wow!

Cool book too, I'm only half way through but well worth a read if anyone is looking for something easy. I'll try get hold of his other books too one day.

I can't believe its you, very cool.

Unless there's 2 people with names like yours in which case this is a shocker coincidence, we tied first at the KZNTR new years run! I almost fell over when I read the email we got a few days later.

No way, man! I can't believe I missed out on a beer with you! It was good fun, right?

Those shoes make me want to buy Adidas racing shoes again. Always ran in Adidas from when I started running in about 1992. Had 7 pairs of Rockets a few years ago that lasted me a few years - similar looking shoe to the Takumi Sen. Been running in Maxed shoes for the last 4 years - I generally know what works for me and buy a few different pairs at a time online for the price of one pair of shoes from the other brands and I can still get 500 - 1200km out of a pair.

*I had the Adizero Rocket (I see there is a new Rocket which is nothing like the old ones.)

I tried on those Takumi Sen here and there's no way I could complete anything more than a 10km in them. They're an uncompromising track/road hybrid with just a smear of Boost foam in the forefoot. The Takumi Ren, however, looks like a great 5km to 21km shoe with a more generous amount of Boost in the front. The Japan 5 is also a great option but probably somewhere between an Adios and a Boston, which are already great all rounders so I'm not sure what it would do that they can't. 

The amount of colour ways available here is brilliant, though. We tend to be limited to two or three back in SA.

post-63043-0-93342700-1579740328_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Barry Stuart

I tried on those Takumi Sen here and there's no way I could complete anything more than a 10km in them. They're an uncompromising track/road hybrid with just a smear of Boost foam in the forefoot. The Takumi Ren, however, looks like a great 5km to 21km shoe with a more generous amount of Boost in the front. The Japan 5 is also a great option but probably somewhere between an Adios and a Boston, which are already great all rounders so I'm not sure what it would do that they can't. 

The amount of colour ways available here is brilliant, though. We tend to be limited to two or three back in SA.

I'm a fairly light runner - can get 1000km out of a pair of shoes and did a few marathons and a comrades in my Rockets. They were my favourite shoes out of all the 'minimalist' stuff I tried. But our selection in SA was useless - I had to get someone to bring me shoes from the US because I couldn't get what I wanted here. Not a big enough market here for those things, so not enough selection.

Those shoes just look right to me. I can't get used to the look of the Hoka/ Adidas prototype/ Nike Next% stuff.

I dig Walmsley, sometimes he goes a bit maverick, but it takes certain mindset to say record or hospital that is the goal for today. I also like that he is an all round runner. He can run road, sub 14min 5km to 100 miler trail runs. DOn't see a lot of pro runners diversifying...

On the diversity front. Have you seen how well the top Dusi paddlers run. I saw Hank McGregor won a trail run on the weekend in KZN. 

Yes, yes I have. Did the Dusi parkrun once, and man can they shift. They do it as a warm up, then head back into the river for the day's workout!!