ScottCM

Finished the first year 27hours, 2nd time I pulled out at 120km as a caution at the first knee twinge because I had a team needing me in good shape for an adventure race 3 weeks later.

I would like a sub 24hour run though, tipped through halfway around 10 hours both times so I just need to convert now.

I have had a few bad stomach issues and I have now got meds to help that and a better strategy. So it will be a good test for that as well. Honestly just keen for a good sufferfest again now, been too long since the last AR/ultra

I agree... I'm bang keen on going long and going hard. It's been too long now.

I would have been almost 10 hours into Tusker right now!

Planning on leaving the boy with his Gogo and doing a few 12 hour mountain runs over the next few weeks. Get me all set for doing 13 peaks in sub24 and go from there.

I can recce almost all of the course from home so will probably do it in 4 parts as training, then smash it as soon as the curfew gets lifted. Keep me hungry for something

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With most of my triathlon races cancelled for the rest of the year (the big ones anyway), and riding off of Ironman training, I'm considering entering karkloof 50 miler. Anyone here entered/thinking about it?

Will probably see you there for the 50 too.  :thumbup:  

PS: Looks like IM in November is going ahead but I'm skipping it this year. 

I saw theres a few organised trail runs opening next weekend. They're going to have a 'rolling start', you arrive whenever over a huge time window and set off down the trail in 10 min intervals.

Its a really good work-around to get back to racing, and especially for smaller type events.

I wondered though, how big an event you could make that work for. 

Finished the first year 27hours, 2nd time I pulled out at 120km as a caution at the first knee twinge because I had a team needing me in good shape for an adventure race 3 weeks later.

I would like a sub 24hour run though, tipped through halfway around 10 hours both times so I just need to convert now.

I have had a few bad stomach issues and I have now got meds to help that and a better strategy. So it will be a good test for that as well. Honestly just keen for a good sufferfest again now, been too long since the last AR/ultra

I was hoping you'd say sub 24 - that buckle is preeeeetty 

I saw theres a few organised trail runs opening next weekend. They're going to have a 'rolling start', you arrive whenever over a huge time window and set off down the trail in 10 min intervals.

Its a really good work-around to get back to racing, and especially for smaller type events.

I wondered though, how big an event you could make that work for. 

The use of timing chips? They could mark the route, use a timing chip system and just leave the route open for the day?

It relies on honesty, which as we all know, is an issue, but if you make it a timed 'event' and not a race it doesn't matter if people cheat as there is essentially no prize for the winner.

I think we will see this (or a similar model) introduced as we phase back into real life

With most of my triathlon races cancelled for the rest of the year (the big ones anyway), and riding off of Ironman training, I'm considering entering karkloof 50 miler. Anyone here entered/thinking about it?

I wonder if the event will be allowed to go ahead at all? What are people's thoughts? The way all other participation events have been cancelled I'm not so sure. A staggered type start kind of detracts from the traditional group start in a big way

I wonder if the event will be allowed to go ahead at all? What are people's thoughts? The way all other participation events have been cancelled I'm not so sure. A staggered type start kind of detracts from the traditional group start in a big way

Do you really think so or do you think that's just the traditionalist in you saying so?

I would almost encourage a rolling/staggered start on long races as it allows you to settle into your own race better and earlier.

If 100 milers had rolling starts I would love it. I often stand at the start line and let everyone run off and then kick off 2 or 3 minutes afterwards. 

I am not a fan of crowds, so even Two Oceans. Close the road, give me a timing chip and I will roll out by myself, have an awesome run at my own pace and not have to fight the crowds and initial 5 minute wait to cross the start line

I'm pretty sure it will go ahead. They are also limiting entries to 100. But I don't mind if it's a staggered start, within 2km everyone is spread apart anyway

100 miler rolling start would be cool, a bit like the wartrail non stop guys where you plan your start to try be at the start of the paddle at 6am the next day.

For shorter fast races it really is tougher running alone, it is so much easier to chase the leader or run scared out front than just trying to max out with no one around for 5-10km.

Some new shoes arrived today.. Keen to give them a test run

3e08bcc69a4450ec6d701df870f82cb2.jpg

Noice. Are these full 'knit' fabric at the front or just an outer layer? If there's one thing I dig about modern running shoes it's the 'knit'-like materials.

Noice. Are these full 'knit' fabric at the front or just an outer layer? If there's one thing I dig about modern running shoes it's the 'knit'-like materials.

There's two layers there. A very thin layer underneath that knit

According to my Garmin app and new badge I've achieved, its.....

Global Running Day! yayyyyy

I also got the same one last night, after I was done setting up my data fields. 

I reset my Garmin a few weeks back, after the unit froze during an activity download, but never changed the data fields from the default layout to the way I like it.

According to my Garmin app and new badge I've achieved, its.....

Global Running Day! yayyyyy

I also got it yesterday after being able to do my first AFTERNOON run since the lockdown.

My new shoes day to...got myself a pair of Hoka Torrents.  Been alternating between Hoka Speed Goats and Asics Trabuco but these Torrents are the bomb...simple comfy shoes..minimal cushioning minimal fuss.  Really enjoyed them...