Scammer List

Guy@BMT Stellenbosch

Another one who has unfortunately claimed a victim with the classic scam tactics...

Hub account: Elias78 (has been banned)

Phone number: 0837992796

Email address: mekhauoe78@gmail.com

I've had the unfortunate experience of being scammed out of my Scott 920. I advertised on Wed 6 Jan, this person by the name of  Moalisi Elias Khauoe -  goes by the name of Elias. Calls me and states that he is the owner of J&M Holdings and wants the bike for his sons birthday and that he will EFT the money and to please provide banking details. 30min later I receive an SMS from ABSA saying the R20k had been EFT'd into my SBSA account. I then received a copy of the ABSA EFT plus his ID... It all looked and sounded legit. Elias then calls me and says he would like to collect as his sons birthday is on Thursday. Elias then calls again and states that he has instructed his accountant to prioritize the EFT, a couple minutes later I receive another SMS stating the EFT will take place at midnight of the 6th Jan. Elais calls me again and agreed to meet at the Total garage on Malebongwe Drive for collection, He then calls me a bit later to say that he is sending his driver. I meet the driver who goes by the name of Steve (cell # 083 431 7421) and hand the Scott over to Steve...

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Baffling how many people are still clueless as too how EFT works!!

Eft funds must show as reflecting in your bank account under "Available Balance"(ie that is funds your bank is saying is available for you to spend, its money in the bank so to say) and until that point you technically have zero confirmation that the eft is good, ie any proof of payment/sms/deposit slip/scans thereof are worthless, utterly and completely WORTHLESS.

Only release goods after you have checked in your account using Online Banking/Banking App/ATM and the funds are showing under "AVAILABLE BALANCE".

• 10 months later...

We've had a report from a vigilant user about "France" back trying to scam people.

The details used:

France
083 379 2825

Today I got a call from someone who went by the name of France- he gave me some whole story about wanting to view the bike and then needing to drop it off for a student at UNISA.

He asked what the price was- I told him and he agreed (alarm bells at this stage went off). Surely someone spending R40 K on a bike knows the price?

He then asked who I bank with, when I told him FNB, he then said he was an ABSA business client and he would do the payment once he had my banking details. He would then send me the proof of payment, his ID and telephone number (alarm bells went off again).

When I mentioned to him that I'll only release the bike when the funds are in my account, he cut the call.

• 1 month later...

I had Apollo Khuzwayo from ama steels +27 62 673 1670 try his luck this week.

Exact same MO - several calls, ID, std bank sms, and vanished when i insisted the money had to reflect....

Edited by G-J

C'mon, this should surely be highlighted....

Admin, could you maybe make a highlighted section in the Classifieds to warn people... Maybe a screen to ensure that they need to read and select a tick box to say that they have read the T & C's and to be careful of possible scams and what the tell tale signs are of being scammed prior to actually posting an ad?

I had Apollo Khuzwayo from ama steels +27 62 673 1670 try his luck this week.

Exact same MO - several calls, ID, std bank sms, and vanished when i insisted the money had to reflect....

Called me this morning. 

Alarm bells went off instantly.

Gonna tell him my price has gone up if he calls back  :thumbup:

Interesting. Not selling anything to any "foreigner" (from) France. Eish.

Have developed a dislike to "Gmail" and treat such account immediately with a :eek:.

They can create countless email addresses and still remain untraceable in cyberspace.

Apollo also tried it with me during the week. He uses e-mail address apollokhuzwayo@gmail.com and cell number +27 (78) 3197010.

Same MO as mentioned in other posts. Wonder if he actually got to con someone. Surely no one will let their stuff go without money clearing in their account. This Apollo has to be stopped.

Standard Bank sms I received.

Standard Bank Notice of Payment:AMA STEELS CONSTRUCTION has paid R50,000.00 into Capitec Acc:..1251.......on 06/01/2017 @ 12:21:25 Ref:Apollo/Standard Bank. Helpline 0860 123 000

The quickest way i have used to expose a scammer is to ask specific cycling related questions that most will have no clue of .Group set ,,tires, sizing ext  .You quickly realize if somebody is talking BS 

Sorry for the slight "hijack" but its relevant to a certain degree; more aimed at the admin team.

Is it not worth the effort to look into a "verified" function on the hub; something like the blue tick next to your name on twitter.

How it possibly can work is like a good old pyramid scheme; John knows James personally, so he can verify this is a above board chap, James knows Jessie and Jake; he can tick them as verified.

1: this does not exclude anyone else from buying

2: its not a gaurentee that the deal with James wont go according to the sellers wishes, but its unlikely to be a scammer;

3: if it trickles down from the most "senior" hubbers there is a very high probability that those that end up verified are actual bonafide cyclist

4: getting verified is not dependent on how long you have been on the hub or post counts; if you know someone that is on the hub and that can verify; they can tick your name

5: the person verifying is listed next to said person, so there is a responsibility on this person to use it responsibly.

Long winded, but just a thought.

• 1 year later...

Hi Hubbers

Had my first ever possible scammer on Bike Hub, the guy's name was Robert from Vredendal (083 938 4492).

Wanted to take my bike without even asking any questions about it, just asked where the pedals were. Asked me to meet his driver in CBD, Cape Town. 

Be cautious when selling your bikes guys!

• 4 weeks later...

Possible scammer alert:

Asking questions about a fork I am selling and can I take a pic of the "specification section" so he can ask his LBS if the fork will fit his son's bike so he can buy it quick. "Wayne" apparently lives in Protea Valley.

His profile on the HUB, wkoral, says he joined TODAY.

No tel number.