Scammer List

Guy@BMT Stellenbosch

Surely we need to tighten the ropes on the Bikehub a bit.

You don't need to be logged in or have an account to view the classifieds, but maybe a login would be necessary to get the seller's personal details (phone/email).

That could also lead to better tracking of the visits to your classifieds and can help track down the known scamster.

It becomes a bit more difficult if you place your ads on multiple platforms.

Should someone without an account have access to browse the forums?

I suppose Admins have thought of some of these issues already and perhaps there are systems in place I have mentioned now.

I cant see how that will actually help. The info you use to create an account can be completely seperate from the alias you use to scam. The guy could be one of us posting here for all we know. Its very easy to get a sim card thats not rica'd to your name, so its literally impossible to get caught. Some scammers even go through the effort to get bank accounts with fake info. Pair that with some knowledge about what you're "selling" and sound trustworthy (unlike the pathetic oil rig scan attempt), and its just a numbers game. The more people you try the more will fall for it. These guys will never get caught, but the best you can do is have common sense. The people that do get scammed learn a hard lesson. But yeah, it feels so **** if it happens to you, and its unfair. Ive had a few close encounters.

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

As I am one of a few Pierre Opperman's living in Knysna,and know of one living in Plett it is not cool as a multiple award-winning Singer-songwriter, to have your fans and friends see your/somebody with the same name appear on scammers articles, when they search for one's !

I am finding it more common for hubbers to ask for your private contact details, and then when you give it to them you never hear from them again... is this becoming more common?

Hi,

A user calling himself Shaunvt has been posting Fake ads this morning.

First it was a KTM Scarp Prime which was copied from a Gumtree Ad using the identical text and pictures:

at https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-mountain-bikes/brackenfell/full-carbon-ktm-scarp-prime-29er-large-frame-dual-suspension-xt-xtr-groupset/1003706245570910001496609.

He asks the would-be buyer to make a  deposit into a Spar or supermarket account using an instant transfer to a cellphone number which cannot be traced.

Later he miraculously acquired another KTM Scarp Prestige bike.

When someone suggests his ad is fake, the ad is immediately removed.

He has sent me the following PM:

post-61697-0-30582300-1544360830_thumb.png

Please exercise the greatest of care when dealing with new and possibly remote buyers and seller.

We need to keep the Hub safe!!

Hi,

First it was a KTM Scarp Prime which was copied from a Gumtree Ad using the identical text and pictures:

at https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-mountain-bikes/brackenfell/full-carbon-ktm-scarp-prime-29er-large-frame-dual-suspension-xt-xtr-groupset/1003706245570910001496609.

He asks the would-be buyer to make a deposit into a Spar or supermarket account using an instant transfer to a cellphone number which cannot be traced.

Screen Shot 2018-12-09 at 2.59.49 PM.png

Please exercise the greatest of care when dealing with new and possibly remote buyers and seller.

Hes left 15 negative reviews on your profile, try contact an admin to have them removed, i see his account has already been deactivated. Was only created today as well. He sounds cooked - looking at his dm to you and his 15 reviews.

Edited by Jacoo

Hi,

at https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-mountain-bikes/brackenfell/full-carbon-ktm-scarp-prime-29er-large-frame-dual-suspension-xt-xtr-groupset/1003706245570910001496609.

He asks the would-be buyer to make a  deposit into a Spar or supermarket account using an instant transfer to a cellphone number which cannot be traced.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-12-09 at 2.59.49 PM.png

Please guys, be careful, it seems he may have created a new Profile: Charles40.

Same MO - Profile created at same time of posting ad. Expensive Mtb for a cheap price and ad disappears very quickly.

Please guys, be careful, it seems he may have created a new Profile: Charles40.

Same MO - Profile created at same time of posting ad. Expensive Mtb for a cheap price and ad disappears very quickly.

We banned the subsequent account.

Here are the numbers he had used:

Are we not at the point where existing members should vouch for all new profiles before they live and allowed to post? Some other forums I participate on use this system and it’s appears to be pretty good at keeping the rubbish out.

If not the above. Mandatory 10 posts before being allowed to post an ad.

Just a suggestion which I have DM'd admin about.

Perhaps there should be a "rule" when posting an ad..

For example on another forum I am on, A piece of paper with your name written on it and the date item is listed needs to be in the picture when posting an ad. So you write your name down with date, put it on your bike or shoes or whatever, This way the buyer has some sort of comfort in knowing who they are dealing with. It may not solve the problem 100% but it will atleast help a touch I reckon.

Are we not at the point where existing members should vouch for all new profiles before they live and allowed to post? Some other forums I participate on use this system and it’s appears to be pretty good at keeping the rubbish out.

If not the above. Mandatory 10 posts before being allowed to post an ad.

Spot on!!

For example on another forum I am on, A piece of paper with your name written on it and the date item is listed needs to be in the picture when posting an ad. So you write your name down with date, put it on your bike or shoes or whatever, This way the buyer has some sort of comfort in knowing who they are dealing with. It may not solve the problem 100% but it will atleast help a touch I reckon.

Makes sense to me ... And I for one would have no problem doing this , as anything I may sell here will be the actual article and not a scam .

Hahaha reminds me of another forum where they had a similar rule. In stead of a piece of paper you had to have a spoon in the picture.

Not a bad idea at all.

I might just take your lead on this and start doing it anyway on my future ads.

Thought it was funny as I read somewhere a fellow Hubber asking people to stand next to the bike they're selling with a copy of ID and the daily newspaper  :thumbup: