Interview: South Industries locally made carbon rims

News bot

South Industries are running a special during the Africa Cycle Fair:

We are running a launch special for the duration of the #africancyclefair. Come and visit our stand or drop us a...

Posted by South Industries on Saturday, 24 October 2015

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wheel done to the Saffers! Wishing you great success in this venture. See you at the fair tomorrow.

Great looking wheels.

To the guys bitching about the price, if you want handgemaakte local carbon rims, you're going to pay a premium. It's just the way it is.

Give credit where credit is due. These guys could've gone the Momsen/Volcan route and just imported mass produced *** from China/Taiwan and slap their decals on, but that is clearly not what they're about. 

What kind of warranties/guarantees are included?

Thanks Odinson for the cool comments.

We offer a 2 year manufacturing warranty and a 50% crash replacement policy for the original owner.

Hi South Industries

I am interested in a set of 29er wheels on tune hubs.

Some questions I am hoping you can help me with.

1. What is the weight of the wheelset

2. In terms of impact force strength have you done any testing if so how do the wheels compare to ZTR valor

3. Do the wheels have a rider weight limit?

4. Is the promo price inclusive of delivery.

Cheers

Guys don’t compare a locally made product to a Taiwanese imported wheel which would be the case of most of the other  manufactured wheels .These will be more expensive but if they made where I think they made then they will be class. We should be making the hubs locally as well but it might push up the price even further.

Just getting hold of the correct materials at times becomes so frustrating that I have found that at times  component manufacture could be cheaper in the UK than in this country which is shocking.

Guys don’t compare a locally made product to a Taiwanese imported wheel which would be the case of most of the other  manufactured wheels .These will be more expensive but if they made where I think they made then they will be class. We should be making the hubs locally as well but it might push up the price even further.

Why not? Taiwanese companies make a similar product at a lower price. It's an obvious comparison to make.

The South wheels do look very decent, but in that price bracket they go up against the likes of Nox Composites, etc. so there's lots of shopping around to do.

I love it! Everyone comments on the price being "so expensive" do yourself a favour, build (and by that I mean get a cnc machinist to machine something) yourself a mold. Then buy the highest grade carbon that you can get your hands on - short of registering your business as a weapons (read jet fighter) manufacturer, and build your set of rims cheaper - I DARE YOU!

understand that the Taiwanese build mass market, they have a production line of 20 molds that have been used moer tu and the shape is no longer quite accurate, the grade of carbon is mediocre to say the least etc so yes you can get a carbon rim for R12.50 is it a quality rim like this? NO. As a wheelbuilder I k@k myself when someone brings me a fing tong rim as the thing has an uneven ERD (look it up) if you look inside the rim there are lumps of resin, patches of carbon - its ugly...then there are no max spoke tensions listed so how tight can I build the wheel? 

I am sure that as the market grows and sales pick up, the price may come down as these guys can now justify bulk orders of raw materials and more molds to get more product out etc.

I wish these awesome chaps ( I met them and the one thing that resounds is their passion) all the best and hopefully they are the next Enve killers! 

Stopped by these lads at cyclefair.

Two things immediately come to mind....quality and strength. As others have said, this isn't sweatshop carbon, their build kits are also not skimped on...Tune for the snakes and I9 for longevity.

If i had 20k for a set, I would buy in a heartbeat. 

Edited by rouxtjie

I had to be lured away from these wheels with promises of lots and lots of cheap meaningless  sex and lots and lots of fudge!

Those rims and industry 9 hubs are very, very nice! As Rouxtjie said, if i had R20K with me yesterday, the missus would have had to sit in the back seat going home...

I had to be lured away from these wheels with promises of lots and lots of cheap meaningless  sex and lots and lots of fudge!

Those rims and industry 9 hubs are very, very nice! As Rouxtjie said, if i had R20K with me yesterday, the missus would have had to sit in the back seat going home...

you want to go halvies on a divorce lawyer....

The yeti Sb-6c with the loaded wheels....the is a divorce in motion I tell you