Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if this has been posted before but I'm quite disappointed at the number of Vida-E outlets in Jozi.

I can't understand why you can't use the ones at Shell garages- I'm at a point where  I'm offering my vouchers to family and friends just to get some use out of it.

Picked up a Garmin 235 yesterday so I can get more points training with HR. This watch is amazeballs. All notifications from my phone get sent straight to it, as good as any smartwatch I reckon.

What was the price if i may ask?

The foot pod should be more accurate as it auto calibrates to your stride.....it will be debated by the statistic monsters that GPS is not all that accurate...

That would be true if your stride stayed the same throughout a training session but the length should change depending on fatigue and gradient.

Its possible that they have taken that into account but I cant imagine how they would get it right.

Does anyone know if those pods do running cadence? its a nice feature to have.

That would be true if your stride stayed the same throughout a training session but the length should change depending on fatigue and gradient.

Its possible that they have taken that into account but I cant imagine how they would get it right.

I have the polar footpod and it does give cadence as well as stride length. 

For both you can see the average and the current on the display while running.

I know that there was a recent update on the M400 that will do cadence without a footpod. 

For the V800 it is still in development. Not sure why there is a delay. 

I'm not sure if this has been posted before but I'm quite disappointed at the number of Vida-E outlets in Jozi.

I can't understand why you can't use the ones at Shell garages- I'm at a point where  I'm offering my vouchers to family and friends just to get some use out of it.

I live in Alberton and I'm in the same boat, just happened to be out and about today and near a Vida in Fourways. I have another coffee still!

Yes they do do running cadence, well the garmin one does, with my 910XT when I download to GC I get coloured graph of steps per minute (SPM) and also peak and average SPM.  Also give average stride length.

With the stride length info I have been able to adjust my stride over time so that I do not over extend in the extension phase of a stride, which helps reduce possible injury around the knee.

The SPM is also useful to see in what part of the run you started dropping and whether your performance is improving.

I even use it when on the treadmill for the info above as well as distance (as no gps when indoors at the gym)

Edited by shaper

Thus the words "auto calibrate"....Polar themselves recommend speed sensors and footpods to be used for those people who want more accurate readings......

I got mine from Sportsmans in Dec - R5k on the dot, less Discovery active gear cash back of R1k - so effectively paid R4k.   To back up what Sandro said, its a really awesome watch - completely stoked with it.

Sorry if this has been posted but what App do you use with the Apple Watch to get Vitality Points? Strava doesn't seem to record heart rate? So if one is training on a treadmill or Spinning bike ie: not moving how do you get your "vigorous device workout" points - Thanks

This one... 

post-1372-0-73122800-1454082487_thumb.png

Go to 32:40) in the video.

Make sure you do one exercise for entire workout (hour or two), i.e. use cycle, or run and not a mix of them as it won't record a single activity

Edited by geraldm24

I know that there was a recent update on the M400 that will do cadence without a footpod. 

Greetings

The V800 also does cadence now without a foot pod using the accelerometer in the wrist unit.

Don't think it does stride length tho, well i don't see it anywhere on my watch summary.

Just shy of R5k. The 235 has the HR in the wrist piece, the 230 is the same watch  but uses the HR strap and is about R4500.

Edited by Sandro

Pretty much everything has been in development since the start with the V800!

Its still an awesome watch though.

I was tempted to hit the activate button on this one.

But then again:

I only do about 3 races a year.

I have plenty of shirts and they do not advertise any group rides on the website (for just in case none of my usual buddies can join for a ride).

I only joined for the cash back. I figure 4 races will pay back the invesment, leaving me with another 5-6 to make some extra cash. Besides, it's motivated me to do a few events I may have opted to skip.

I only joined for the cash back. I figure 4 races will pay back the invesment, leaving me with another 5-6 to make some extra cash. Besides, it's motivated me to do a few events I may have opted to skip.

I did join during the week.

Now waiting for my lic so I can enter canival without buying a temp lic.