Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

Mondays are rest days...

matt from cadence westville is organizing an all in one check...fitness...blood etc etc...

my body is telling me i am too fat and old for this cycling thing...research indicates that i am on the down hill slide 50+...but my brain is telling me...more effort...more reward...suck it and work harder.

My brain will always tell me that, no matter how old I get.

Someone should have told the 82 year old guy who sometimes used to be in the group rides about the age rule, he was still merrily dishing out the pain to the youngsters at his age.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mondays are rest days...

matt from cadence westville is organizing an all in one check...fitness...blood etc etc...

my body is telling me i am too fat and old for this cycling thing...research indicates that i am on the down hill slide 50+...but my brain is telling me...more effort...more reward...suck it and work harder.[/quote

Research pffff... My dad did his best argus in 23 years this year at 61!

He rides 2-3 times a week but all year round now, he put down cakes and biscuits and lost 7kg, now 83kg at 6ft.

Did a 3:25 argus, 19 min faster than he did in his 40's when the route was shorter.

Mondays are rest days...

my body is telling me i am too fat and old for this cycling thing...research indicates that i am on the down hill slide 50+...but my brain is telling me...more effort...more reward...suck it and work harder.

Dude, am 51, my weight is down to what it was in my 30's (and so is my waste line), lost 20kg's 4 years ago and have kept it off, I cycle harder and now do triathlons for the last 2 years where I train at least 6 times a week (min 2 hrs with longer on the weekends), sometimes twice a day.

Apart from Garmin connect, strava and of course discovery (for the benefits), I use Golden Cheetah to upload my activities and monitor my fitness and fatigue with the PMC chart and if needs be adjust my training accordingly to fatigue.

Golden Cheetah is pretty much the same as Training Peaks but is free and as I do not use/need a coach, Golden Cheetah is fine for me. 

Both my cycling and triathlon times are improving as I know when to rest/taper from pushing too hard.  i,e do strength work when the body and graphs are feeling and indicating acute fatigue.

So don't agree you the wrong side of the slope at 50+... maybe you just need to look at your workouts, restructure and make sure they are quality as well as quantity.

And by no means am I anywhere near the top, I know guys who race Vets in their 50's and chase podiums... I languish well behind, even though am there or there about for a sub 3 Argus

More effort, more reward... you can bash your head with lots of effort against the wall until the wall falls down .. but you can also kick the wall and get the same result.  Is all about the application of the effort to get the best return.

Many think they are training when they are doing something but in fact they are not... they do not go hard enough when they should work it and do not go easy enough when they shouldn't... result is lots of effort for little reward (no deemed improvement... hit a plateau)

So as I said, maybe look at the training you are doing and restructure it

My 2c anyway

Edited by shaper

Does anyone else find that the Apple Watch Workout app stops recording inexplicably?  Consequently, I am not missing out lots of Vitality points.

I start Strava and the Workout app before an MTB ride, and Strava shows the full ride and heart rate data (from the watch sensor) for as long as the ride lasts (2-5 hours). But the damn Workout app either stops totally after a random period, or breaks a long ride into multiple workouts.

I've tried everything the iStore, Apple forums & Discovery have suggested, and sent the watch for diagnostics, but no joy.

The key to note is that the heart rate is *definitely* being recorded for the entire workout because I see it in Strava and the 3rd party HeartRate (from AppStore).

Edited by Nplus1

Does anyone else find that the Apple Watch Workout app stops recording inexplicably?  Consequently, I am not missing out lots of Vitality points.

I start Strava and the Workout app before an MTB ride, and Strava shows the full ride and heart rate data (from the watch sensor) for as long as the ride lasts (2-5 hours). But the damn Workout app either stops totally after a random period, or breaks a long ride into multiple workouts.

I've tried everything the iStore, Apple forums & Discovery have suggested, and sent the watch for diagnostics, but no joy.

The key to note is that the heart rate is *definitely* being recorded for the entire workout because I see it in Strava and the 3rd party HeartRate (from AppStore).

Is it not related to having two apps using the same sensors at the same time?

Plausible but the heart beat sensor should be able to feed data to multiple apps since the Watch app on an iPhone allows this.

Have 1 Vida voucher expiring on Wednesday, just see this morning that Vida suncoast has closed...

Send me a pm if you want it.

went for a 1h30 rode yesterday. Stopped the watch at just over 1h30. It corrected to 1h28.... meh. Should have left it for a bit longer, but I proved that my 80% is ACTUALLY 65% of hrr. Which is bloody gard to stay at for me!

Vivek...there is a vida in morningside...where i get my coffee every week...just up from greyville race track

Out the way for me, don't ever go that way. Can I send you the voucher?

Hi Guys

I do virtual rides with my cyclops IDT, but when i load the FIT/TCX file to garmin connect it doesnt show the calories and also disco doesnt pick it up?

Anyone have a solution to this?

Today was the first time I've failed to reach my target on one ride since the start of the year. A measly 300 points for a 265 minute ride at 78% of DiscoMAX... just seems so wrong that only 2% higher would have been 1500 points.

This should have been 600 points but considering they stop awarding points at 90 minutes (70%) today was a good training ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today was the first time I've failed to reach my target on one ride since the start of the year. A measly 300 points for a 265 minute ride at 78% of DiscoMAX... just seems so wrong that only 2% higher would have been 1500 points.

This should have been 600 points but considering they stop awarding points at 90 minutes (70%) today was a good training ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is interesting, especially since you were making it so easily before.

Im just going to train as normal and see what happens, I wont change my training to suit what discovery wants.