Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

From the PDF...

We have tailored the Vitality programme for highly active members by introducing a new category for Endurance and High Performance to recognise the ongoing dedication and efforts when it comes to both training and competing at this level. You can earn fitness points for one activity a day, up to a maximum of 30 000 fitness points a year. This category is for individuals exercising in peak performance zones and who regularly participate in marathons, triathlons and similar endurance events. These Endurance and High Performance members typically exercise at lower heart rates for longer periods of time.

I'm hoping that this new 60-69% range of their's allows one to get points during a recovery week. My Active Recovery zone is <68%, and 220-age and my Z1 HR is not that far apart. Three 120-179 min rides (450 points per ride) should do it nicely.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just had a look at the "Vitality Race Calendar" and noted that not a single USN Cup or Nissan Trailseries race qualifies for cashback...

In fact, the only qualifying cycle races in the 2nd half of 2016 in the Gauteng appear to be the 94.7 Road and MTB.

I'm hoping to receive a favourable reply to the application to have our MTB and Road events included (November) on the calendar.

** holding thumbs **

As a result of the latest changes to the points, I will be sending them another email, referring to the previous (unanswered) reference numbers, to confirm the statement that one needs to claim points by logging in - like it used to be).

Timed and verified race events points
Claim your points by logging into www.discovery.co.za > Vitality > Gym and fitness with proof of race completion with a race certificate or other supporting documentation.

200 (check), 450 (close enough)

It would be so much easier if they had a 200 and 400 points in between the 100-300 and 300-600

The new high performance/endurance option is a winner in my opinion. Given that my actual heart rate max is much lower than the age based, along with how I train, it will almost be easier to get to the 1200 than it would the normal 900 without having to change my training habits :clap:  

..."with proof of race completion with a race certificate or other supporting documentation."

Does anybody have a clue what this entails - what is valid/acceptable "other supporting documentation"? Will a link to the timing company's website (be it Racetec, EntryNinja, AMARider, excel file from the event with results or whatever) suffice? Very little races (riding or running) that I do actually give certificates. 

Otherwise this is being hyped up - but when rolled out nobody can claim any events because of lack of evidence.

From the PDF document, below the section for E N D U R A N C E AND HIGH PERFORMANCE: 

"*These points contribute to weekly Vitality Active Rewards goals but are capped at 1 000 points per year towards Vitality Status."

WTH?

Yay, I am so happy with the new 200 points category as well as the drop from 90 minutes to 60+ for moderate exercise.

I did a 40 min cycle the other day specially hitting the hills and my max heart rate was only 69% so I got a whole 100 speed points.  The problem was that it was 9 degrees avg and when its cold I really struggle to get my heart rate above 80%.  Keeping it there is impossible. 

Now for my standard cycle or run I'll get 200 points instead of 100 which means I don't have to train EVERY day to make my goal :-) 

From the PDF document, below the section for E N D U R A N C E AND HIGH PERFORMANCE: 

"*These points contribute to weekly Vitality Active Rewards goals but are capped at 1 000 points per year towards Vitality Status."

WTH?

probably to make sure the loafers actually also do something,

WTH?

That's for the 50 point section. IE 5,000 - 9999 steps or workouts at 60-69% HR. Still counts for VAR points purposes, but not overall points over the limit. 

Essentially a sub-limit to the exercise points limit for Vitality. To incentivise people to do more than just 6,000 steps a day or staying in Zone 1. 

That's for the 50 point section. IE 5,000 - 9999 steps or workouts at 60-69% HR. Still counts for VAR points purposes, but not overall points over the limit. 

Essentially a sub-limit to the exercise points limit for Vitality. To incentivise people to do more than just 6,000 steps a day or staying in Zone 1. 

Thanks for clarifying  :thumbup: , I should have read the document a bit better :whistling:

hmm...  mostly good but I would want to be sure easy to drop in and out of the endurance / high performance program otherwise potentially stuck at 1200max when training doesn't include long rides...

Disappointed no Strava solution - means my OH is still on the sidelines... (still waiting for new i watch...)

Its important to note that it seems that one can no longer score more than 600 points unless you are taking part in a timed and verified race.  This also means that it will now take you 25 weeks to reach your 30 000 annual limit if you don't do many races.  :( .  

Edited by MTB_Nutter