Cycling for weight loss

Muzee

Started MTB cycling recently mainly for weight loss.

I understand that training for weight loss should be done in the 60% to 70% heart rate zone to maximise fat burning, however, I am not sure of the following and would appreciate assistance:

1. Is it better to focus my cycling on a higher gear with more resistance or lower gear (faster cadence)?

2. Is more shorter length cycles or rather less but longer length cycling more effective for weight loss? 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fat burning is about burning calories.

This myth that one must ride is a "fat burning zone" is fast becoming old news.

If you want to lose weight, burn as many calories as you can. (The really effective way is to eat less, but you asked about training. You train yourself fast and eat yourself thin)

You actually burn more calories at high intensity than at lower intensity.

If you burn 1000cals at low cadence or 1000cals at high cadence it's still 1000 cals.

Edited by Patchelicious

Argh this is so tricky. I'm riding 16 - 18 hours a week for an endurance road ride. And I'm losing weight so slowly it's barely counting... if you eat more than you burn then you will put weight on. My take is have fun on the bike, ride the way you find fun and enjoyable which will make you want to ride more. And make some changes to your diet. Eat better. Be conscious of not eating more than your body is burning and then try and eat a little less than that. You will lose weight but most importantly you will enjoy your life more, be healthier which will  make you want to do more, a good cycle to be in. 

Edited by NordicElf

I started cycling 3 years ago for the fun of it. To get outdoors with my wife and maybe one day do a stage race or 2. Not for one second did I plan on losing weight while cycling even though I was close to 100kg's. As we got into it we naturally started doing longer and longer rides. Our first ride was 15km and I felt like I had been hit by a bus for week after that ride. As the weeks went by and the rides got longer and longer I naturally started to lose a bit of weight. I somehow found myself being drawn to the healthy food options on a menu because I knew that carrying 1kg less up the hill was far better than carrying 1kg more. 3 years have gone by and I'm at 90kg's; done W2W, Sani2c, a bunch of local races and in for Joberg2C in April. So my advise would be to just go ride. If you feeling strong on the day push yourself a little harder, if you not feeling strong then just enjoy the view but make sure the view is from your saddle.

Any cycling is good for weightloss. We don't lose weight by cycling.

We build muscle and increase our metabolism by cycling so that we are burning more calories all the time. The trick is to monitor what you eat.

Started MTB cycling recently mainly for weight loss.

I understand that training for weight loss should be done in the 60% to 70% heart rate zone to maximise fat burning, however, I am not sure of the following and would appreciate assistance:

1. Is it better to focus my cycling on a higher gear with more resistance or lower gear (faster cadence)?

2. Is more shorter length cycles or rather less but longer length cycling more effective for weight loss? 

In the beginning it doesn't matter - go ride your bike, have fun, build skills, eat less, train more, repeat...

And do 2 things - 1 go for a proper bike fitting, and 2 - go on a skills course.

Fat burning is about burning calories.

This myth that one must ride is a "fat burning zone" is fast becoming old news.

If you want to lose weight, burn as many calories as you can. (The really effective way is to eat less, but you asked about training. You train yourself fast and eat yourself thin)

You actually burn more calories at high intensity than at lower intensity.

If you burn 1000cals at low cadence or 1000cals at high cadence it's still 1000 cals.

I really really like this.  It is going on my fridge :thumbup:

Rather focus on a better eating plan.

1 jan 2015 weight 128.1 kg...didnt change my eating plan...rode 500 km...weight on the 30 jan 2015 128.1 kg...from Febuary 2015 cycled on and off and change my eating and tried a variety throughout the year...lost 20 kg 

early december 2015 weight 108...ate like a pig and cycled like i stole it ...a combination of mtb and road...short and longer distance...just after christmas my  weight went up to 111 kg

stopped eating this week because  have enough fat around my gut to keep me going for a few days...just drinking water and snacking on provitas when i feel hungry...back down to 108.1 kg and dropping fast.

you want to loose weight eat less...you want to tone your muscles...exercise and cycle...it is that simple...if you dont exercise the skin hangs and you have to have it removed...if you are a fat bastard like me.

The thing is I have been on LCHF for a while now and loss some decent weight (>30kg), but it’s getting more difficult now and I seem to be plateauing with really slow weight loss on the diet. The guys I cycle with constantly tell me that riding harder is not going to assist with the weight loss and I need to ride easier with longer rides but more cadence, ideally in the 60-70% HR zone, is this a myth ?

So my advise would be to just go ride. If you feeling strong on the day push yourself a little harder, if you not feeling strong then just enjoy the view but make sure the view is from your saddle.

The best advise here ...

Id like to add that you should begin entering events as soon as possible too. I found that committing to events completely drove the surrounding behavior: Nutrition, Training and most of all Discipline.

The best advise here ...

Id like to add that you should begin entering events as soon as possible too. I found that committing to events completely drove the surrounding behavior: Nutrition, Training and most of all Discipline.

Thanks, I have signed up for team vitality, I am in the JHB area, what are good events to start off with ?

The thing is I have been on LCHF for a while now and loss some decent weight (>30kg), but it’s getting more difficult now and I seem to be plateauing with really slow weight loss on the diet. The guys I cycle with constantly tell me that riding harder is not going to assist with the weight loss and I need to ride easier with longer rides but more cadence, ideally in the 60-70% HR zone, is this a myth ?

Not a myth if you ride longer.. Again it's about calories.

If you ride at 80% you are burning more calories than if you are riding at 50% but you can maintain that for longer.

Eg: (based on my figures)

2 hours at tempo, which is very tough. Will be about 1800cals at best.

4 hours at LSD will be about 2500cals.

So 30% more fat for 100% more time... Do the maths.

Point is, riding in the "fat burning zone" does not increase the fat burning.... It does allow you to burn more fat IF you ride longer because you can go longer.

Edited by Patchelicious

Not a mythic you ride longer.. Again it's about calories.

If you ride at 80% you are burning more calories than if you are riding at 50% but you can maintain that for longer.

Eg: (based on my figures)

2 hours at tempo, which is very tough. Will be about 1800cals at best.

4 hours at LSD will be about 2500cals.

So 30% more fat for 100% more time... Do the maths.

Point is, riding in the "fat burning zone" does not increase the fat burning.... It does allow you to burn more fat IF you ride longer because you can go longer.

Thanks, understand what you saying about the calories but is it as easy as that ?

I read this online:

"The body does rely on different substrates during exercise according to the exercise intensity.

At a lower intensity level, the body relies more on fat as a fuel source as it more time to breakdown fat and convert it to energy (a longer process).

During high intensity efforts, the body begins to metabolise carbohydrates instead, preferring their speed of breakdown to fuel higher levels of exertion.

This fuel preference is also dictated by the availability of oxygen which is required for fat utilisation."

The thing is I have been on LCHF for a while now and loss some decent weight (>30kg), but it’s getting more difficult now and I seem to be plateauing with really slow weight loss on the diet. 

Dont measure your plateau by loss of weight. Dis-Chem sell a R200 scale that will give you a good idea of your body fat. Once you are below 20%, you will have to use supplements and intermittent fasting to get to 12-15%.