Absa Cape Epic 2017 early bird entries gone in 9 seconds

News bot

I was sweeping at the Sabie Ultra, and I rode with 4 teams on separate occasions, right at the back, and none of them could even finish the Ultra, or the 75km.And they were training for the Epic. Think to little training and went out and bought new bikes, but were never mentally or Physically ready for a race like the Epic.

I must say I'm always surprised at the number of riders that rock up at the Epic completely unprepared. Surely you do your homework very well for a race of this magnitude. Or are these guys mostly the "sponsored" riders? Cos if I have to fork out R70k of my own Ronds for an entry, I will damn well make sure I'm extremely well prepared. 

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know if its true but I heard that 2 of the riders used cleats for the first time during the prologue. Also saw people walking up the first hill during prologue practice. Definitely under prepared. 

But saying that, relax guys. Its only another stage race. For only R40 you can go and destroy yourself at Van Gaalen any day of the week. 

Don't know if its true but I heard that 2 of the riders used cleats for the first time during the prologue. Also saw people walking up the first hill during prologue practice. Definitely under prepared. 

But saying that, relax guys. Its only another stage race. For only R40 you can go and destroy yourself at Van Gaalen any day of the week. 

I totally agree..Its just a bike race. 

I totally agree..Its just a bike race. 

Its one I would like to have done.

Trained really hard for it once then caught big air and came down on my head.Broken helmet,concussion and I still have a spot floating around in my eye.Had to sell the entry.The ex was pissed off.Never worked up any enthusiasm since then.There is no denying it is a big event.

Its one I would like to have done.

Trained really hard for it once then caught big air and came down on my head.Broken helmet,concussion and I still have a spot floating around in my eye.Had to sell the entry.The ex was pissed off.Never worked up any enthusiasm since then.There is no denying it is a big event.

I think that the worst part. Training your ass off and just before the event you fall and cant do it anymore...

I think all stage races are a rip off. Why for instance pay R4000 each to ride a race on the garden route, mainly on trails you can do any time. Sure a race is a fun social event, but is the social side worth the money? I recon your cash better spent doing single day races and exploring new riding areas.

Many reasons, like you say the social aspect, it appeals to our competitive nature, the extras like food, water tables, marshals, medics, logistics, timing.

Value for money is a subjective thing. There are races that I think are a rip-off but are popular among hubbers, so is it a rip-off if others value the experience?

But like you say, you don't have to spend the big bucks to have a great experience. I cycle far more than a few years ago but do far fewer races.

Or are these guys mostly the "sponsored" riders? Cos if I have to fork out R70k of my own Ronds for an entry, I will damn well make sure I'm extremely well prepared. 

I remember a few years back for the ABSA sponsored celebs they had to follow a strict training program and finish a few proper mtb races otherwise they were dropped from the ABSA sponsorship(think Liezel vd Westhuizen was one that dropped out before the Epic started), I assume that is still the case. It might not be your own money but I don't think many sponsors want to be embarrassed by incompetent clowns in the colours of their brand. 

For me the dropout rate seems kind of low for a race that is this tough.

I remember a few years back for the ABSA sponsored celebs they had to follow a strict training program and finish a few proper mtb races otherwise they were dropped from the ABSA sponsorship(think Liezel vd Westhuizen was one that dropped out before the Epic started), I assume that is still the case. It might not be your own money but I don't think many sponsors want to be embarrassed by incompetent clowns in the colours of their brand. 

Um not to be harsh - but I think this is precisely what happened, just couldn't bring myself to type that.

I would love to see the report of the marketing person who needs to explain why none of their chosen riders made it out of the Bokkeveld. 

At least they enjoyed the swish CT 5 star hotel and would have made a big dent in the buffet.

As much as I am not a USN fan, I think they backed the right horses and it paid dividends - kudos to them for money 'well spent'.

Another winner is GoPro - if you are not going to podium, then make damn sure you pick a guy who is worth listening to - watching Gerald de Kock interview Oliver Munnik was top drawer stuff - GdK actually seemed to enjoy his job for a bit, far better than the dull opinions of an ex doper.

Doping......jeepers did I mention that - seems the message is getting through! Nice new crop as far as I can make out. Out with the old.

I think the drop out rate might have decreased a bit over the years (not sure if someone has the stats?) I can remember in 2010 when I did my first Epic, about 300 guys (if I remember correctly) dropped out in the 1st few days. But that was just after they changed the format of the Epic to include more technical riding, so I guess a lot of the riders weren't expecting it to be quite a bit "harder" than in the past. These days most of the guys know that it will be a tough stint in the saddle, so they prepare accordingly. But still you get those entrants who don't listen... :D   

I think the drop out rate might have decreased a bit over the years (not sure if someone has the stats?) I can remember in 2010 when I did my first Epic, about 300 guys (if I remember correctly) dropped out in the 1st few days. But that was just after they changed the format of the Epic to include more technical riding, so I guess a lot of the riders weren't expecting it to be quite a bit "harder" than in the past. These days most of the guys know that it will be a tough stint in the saddle, so they prepare accordingly. But still you get those entrants who don't listen... :D   

Like the guys that created an entirely new line in Hooogekraal, cutting out the entirety of the "Flow" section?!

Just after that small rock hip jump on the lower section of Spyker's hill (the one with the landing made out of a rather sharp rock on the RHS of the trail) they made a new "line" right next to "Flow" - the super fast bit with the banked berms that goes through the trees - cutting it out altogether... 

Boggles my mind. Why would ANYONE want to skip that bit!?

Like the guys that created an entirely new line in Hooogekraal, cutting out the entirety of the "Flow" section?!

Just after that small rock hip jump on the lower section of Spyker's hill (the one with the landing made out of a rather sharp rock on the RHS of the trail) they made a new "line" right next to "Flow" - the super fast bit with the banked berms that goes through the trees - cutting it out altogether... 

Boggles my mind. Why would ANYONE want to skip that bit!?

I hear you bud. Tragic. And ja, I also feel for the trail builder. Probably has quite a bit of repair work to do now.

I hear you bud. Tragic. And ja, I also feel for the trail builder. Probably has quite a bit of repair work to do now.

yeah. Patrick. In his own words - they're ****ed. 

And to boot, I know now why they didn't use Cobra. The large majority of those riding the event wouldn't have been able to handle it, based on the shortcuts and requests for removal of features. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Ugh. And before the rains come, he probably can't really do anything.

There's some coming this weekend, by the looks of things. But ja. 

There's apparently a huge divot on the Canyon line on one of the tabletops thanks to all the front-wheel landings. 

That explains the many DNF's

Edit:

Only 483 teams (out of 645 give or take) finished the shortest ever Cape Epic 2016

Might be the shortest but you failed to mention it was the most climbing per km and a lot more technical than before as this was the biggest issue people had regarding the previous routes, hence all the dehydration that took part as people had to work for every km and didn't had a lot of open district roads with free km's to work with. Oh I forgot, you didn't get a entry to do it, so you won't know, hence why I don't get it why you give such half comments.

Like the others said, if you don't have the money to participate don't come and moan here, create your own route make it affordable for everyone and do your own thing. I find it fascinating how people these days like to sit behind their keyboards and complain about everything just to have it their way. I take my hat off to Kevin Vermaak for doing what he did, making his money and that he can continue to increase the fee and demand is most definitely still there to do it with record sales.

Edited by Dominik