Wahoo Kickr Owners

awesme

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^^ what they are all saying, Win10 and Ant+ dongle.

It is the bet set up and what I use for Win10 laptop with Kickr Core.

Win10 BLE drivers can be an issue and often get corrupted.

This Kickr Core is definitely one of the best investments I could have made for cycling.

It took a lot of convincing myself to get the setup done with a new entry level road bike. But... it works and it works well.

I set the bike up in my study where I have a 40" TV on the wall and I'm using Zwift (Testing Rouvy tonight) to create a really immersive experience. 

5 days ago I started with a 5km ride and it wasn't easy (yes, that is how unfit I am) and started making small progress. Last night I did a 15km with 245m of climbing. This is a big improvement for me and I can see this method of training sticking. I used the normal trainers before and it got boring really fast.

With my fitness level being the lowest in years and by waist line being the biggest in years I had to do something urgent and this is definitely the right way to do it. 

Windows 10 and Bluetooth are not friends with each other.  It is a hit and miss situation.  

I battled for hours with Windows 10, BT and Zwift. HOURS!!

A recent Windows update killed BT connections to certain 3rd party connections such as BT speakers and my smart trainer. This was the case on my work and private computer.

An ANT dongle solved this.

This Kickr Core is definitely one of the best investments I could have made for cycling.

It took a lot of convincing myself to get the setup done with a new entry level road bike. But... it works and it works well.

I set the bike up in my study where I have a 40" TV on the wall and I'm using Zwift (Testing Rouvy tonight) to create a really immersive experience. 

5 days ago I started with a 5km ride and it wasn't easy (yes, that is how unfit I am) and started making small progress. Last night I did a 15km with 245m of climbing. This is a big improvement for me and I can see this method of training sticking. I used the normal trainers before and it got boring really fast.

With my fitness level being the lowest in years and by waist line being the biggest in years I had to do something urgent and this is definitely the right way to do it. 

Nicely done..!

Id suggest linking Zwift (if not already linked) to Strava and then linking Strava to intervals.icu - it's got a great fitness trend/graph and a whole lot of other goodness.

I'd then do an FTP test and do one of the Zwift training plans - I know that there are mixed views on the net about these but to build baseline fitness, you won't be sorry for doing it. 

Nicely done..!

Id suggest linking Zwift (if not already linked) to Strava and then linking Strava to intervals.icu - it's got a great fitness trend/graph and a whole lot of other goodness.

I'd then do an FTP test and do one of the Zwift training plans - I know that there are mixed views on the net about these but to build baseline fitness, you won't be sorry for doing it. 

Currently have it connected to Strava and i'll have a look at intervals.icu quick. 

As soon as I "loosen up the legs" some more ill do an FTP test and then sign up for a training plan. A big part of what I'm doing now is conditioning on the bike. Get those sitting bones and feet used to being on a saddle and in cycling shoes again (MTB runs flats and 5Tens)

Thanks for the feedback and advice. Appreciate it. 

I tried to connect windows 10 to ZWIFT via BT for hours - It seems to pick up the trainer but doesn't connect - I read somehwere on google you need to ansure your BT drivers are up to date which i did - still wouldn't connect so i gave up

a few weeks later i opened the swift app on Laptop and it wanted to update so i updated it and boom ! it connected no problems.

I do however agree - Ant+ dongle is the way to go less hassle and it just works

... this is a Microsoft problem interfacing with BTLE, not laptop, fix for MS in this case it ANT+

if you deployed a linux OS you will find problem disappears.

I use a MAC and happiness connecting to BTLE and ANT, at the same time. :)

G

I tried to connect windows 10 to ZWIFT via BT for hours - It seems to pick up the trainer but doesn't connect - I read somehwere on google you need to ansure your BT drivers are up to date which i did - still wouldn't connect so i gave up

a few weeks later i opened the swift app on Laptop and it wanted to update so i updated it and boom ! it connected no problems.

I do however agree - Ant+ dongle is the way to go less hassle and it just works

Currently have it connected to Strava and i'll have a look at intervals.icu quick. 

As soon as I "loosen up the legs" some more ill do an FTP test and then sign up for a training plan. A big part of what I'm doing now is conditioning on the bike. Get those sitting bones and feet used to being on a saddle and in cycling shoes again (MTB runs flats and 5Tens)

Thanks for the feedback and advice. Appreciate it. 

You can also do a route on Zwift, and keep that as your "baseline".  Maybe one flat route and another with a nasty climb ....

repeat those every couple of months .... NICE to see how your power/hart rate/lap time changes  :thumbup:

Those who have the trainer inside... What do you use to orotect the carpet from sweat? Mine is in the garage but woukd love to move to the spare room... Just dont know what to do with sweat

Those who have the trainer inside... What do you use to orotect the carpet from sweat? Mine is in the garage but woukd love to move to the spare room... Just dont know what to do with sweat

I placed an old towel under this rubber mat which I purchased from Builders (in 2018, it was R170 for 1.7m) and it works perfectly.

Much cheaper than a branded trainer mat. 

post-83519-0-60621700-1591819551_thumb.jpg

Edited by Muttley

hi guys,

i'm getting a laptop to run my kikcr/zwift set up.

What is the basic laptop requirement i'll need? 

any suggestions?

hi guys,

i'm getting a laptop to run my kikcr/zwift set up.

What is the basic laptop requirement i'll need? 

any suggestions?

I'm running mine on an Intel NUC i3 which has a built in GPU - don't think you need a beast of a PC to be honest. 

From Zwift

I am sure it has been asked, but how do I link windows 10 Laptop to Core via Bluetooth ?

When I try to link, it sees the Kickr but when I try to connect  it fails to do so.

I have had a similar issue - run all the software updates you can :)

1. Install the Wahoo app on your phone

2. Link your kickr to the phone and check for software updates

3. Check updates on laptop

4. try again?

Edited by 100Tours

Yoga mat, its exactly the right size, wipes down easily