Wheel building

@nick_the_wheelbuilder can you please assist.

I used 25mm 28 hole Rapide rims for more than a year with lots of distance on them.  My rear wheel pulled a spoke through the rim over the weekend, rim cracked.  The rider limit on them is stated at 90kg and I'm a bit over at 96kg.

Until this failure I was very happy with these rims but now that I need to replace I was wondering if I should replace with the same or rather go for Race Face ARC offset at double the price.  I am in the process of loosing weight and the Rapide rims are excellent value for money.

So, please recommend, should I stay on the Rapide rims or rather go with the Race Face?

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, TheoG said:

I used 25mm 28 hole Rapide rims for more than a year with lots of distance on them.  My rear wheel pulled a spoke through the rim over the weekend, rim cracked.  The rider limit on them is stated at 90kg and I'm a bit over at 96kg.

Until this failure I was very happy with these rims but now that I need to replace I was wondering if I should replace with the same or rather go for Race Face ARC offset at double the price.  I am in the process of loosing weight and the Rapide rims are excellent value for money.

So, please recommend, should I stay on the Rapide rims or rather go with the Race Face?

Hey Theo, even if you lose 10kg, you'll still be kinda on the limit for the Rapide rims - I like them too though.

My advice is to spend once, ride forever.

The best options right now available locally for you are:

Zero MT25 @ R1695 each (25mm inner)

Stan's Arch Mk4 @ R2290 each (28mm inner)

Spank Spike Race 33 @ R1895 each (28mm inner)

Hope this helps.

12 minutes ago, nick_the_wheelbuilder said:

Hey Theo, even if you lose 10kg, you'll still be kinda on the limit for the Rapide rims - I like them too though.

My advice is to spend once, ride forever.

The best options right now available locally for you are:

Zero MT25 @ R1695 each (25mm inner)

Stan's Arch Mk4 @ R2290 each (28mm inner)

Spank Spike Race 33 @ R1895 each (28mm inner)

Hope this helps.

Thanks Nick, do you maybe know the weights of these 3 rims?

6 minutes ago, nick_the_wheelbuilder said:

Arch Mk4 = 481g
Zero MT25 approx 450g
Spank Spike = approx 525g

I'm going to stick to the Rapide rim.  I asked Wayne to use washers, hopefully that help a bit.  Will ride like that only until he get 30mm stock (rider limit 105kg) and then swap wheels between my 2 bikes.  My 2nd bike is a rigid MTB that I only use on the road, so the 25mm should be fine on there.

Thanks for your help & advice.

3 minutes ago, TheoG said:

I'm going to stick to the Rapide rim.  I asked Wayne to use washers, hopefully that help a bit.  Will ride like that only until he get 30mm stock (rider limit 105kg) and then swap wheels between my 2 bikes.  My 2nd bike is a rigid MTB that I only use on the road, so the 25mm should be fine on there.

Thanks for your help & advice.

Cool bananas.
The Rapide stuff certainly is super value and I've always celebrated the quality.

58 minutes ago, TheoG said:

surely 90kg means "80, but will probably be ok for 110"

Light rims save precious seconds during a race.

When a light rim breaks, it adds hours to your ride and $$$ to fix.

Personally I gravitate to durability over light weight, but there are a few options I enjoy that are light enough and strong enough.

The new (ish) Stan's Arch Mk4 are sub-500g (light enough) while being really durable at the same time.

The Flow EX3 rims are, in my opinion and experience, the most robust rims available.

On 5/2/2023 at 11:19 AM, nick_the_wheelbuilder said:

Light rims save precious seconds during a race.

When a light rim breaks, it adds hours to your ride and $$$ to fix.

Personally I gravitate to durability over light weight, but there are a few options I enjoy that are light enough and strong enough.

The new (ish) Stan's Arch Mk4 are sub-500g (light enough) while being really durable at the same time.

The Flow EX3 rims are, in my opinion and experience, the most robust rims available.

I see that the Arch and Flow rims come in 28 and 32 hole format. 
What does the number of spokes do to a wheel ? Is the stiffness or durability and or strength ?
I am wondering why I would go for a burly rim and then go light on the spokes.

I have a set of 29" MTB wheels planned for later this year and am wondering what to go for seeing as I weigh about 100kg. I am no hard core trail rider, but do enjoy some 'downcountry' single track. Travel may be 120mm rear with 130mm on the front.

2 hours ago, splat said:

I see that the Arch and Flow rims come in 28 and 32 hole format. 
What does the number of spokes do to a wheel ? Is the stiffness or durability and or strength ?
I am wondering why I would go for a burly rim and then go light on the spokes.

I have a set of 29" MTB wheels planned for later this year and am wondering what to go for seeing as I weigh about 100kg. I am no hard core trail rider, but do enjoy some 'downcountry' single track. Travel may be 120mm rear with 130mm on the front.

32h will be the best for durability obviously, but for lighter riders (under 95kg) 28h is fine, especially with strong rims.
The main reason 28h came about, I believe, is for straight pull spoked hubs that can't fit 32 spokes due to their design.

For 95% of riders, there's no functional difference between 32 & 28 spokes.

Want the best durability, go for 32.
Want to save every last gram? 28 is fine.

So I recently melted my carbon MTB rim and have therefore got to replace it. I’m going to get the new hoop built onto my current hub and spokes which didn’t get damaged, I am however wondering where to do this now. Cycle lab have built me two wheel sets that were incorrectly built and one even had two loose spokes so I do not want to go to them, I’d rather go to an expert. Any recommendations for someone good in Pretoria and what would it cost roughly? 

thanks 

8 hours ago, Scott roy said:

So I recently melted my carbon MTB rim and have therefore got to replace it. I’m going to get the new hoop built onto my current hub and spokes which didn’t get damaged, I am however wondering where to do this now. Cycle lab have built me two wheel sets that were incorrectly built and one even had two loose spokes so I do not want to go to them, I’d rather go to an expert. Any recommendations for someone good in Pretoria and what would it cost roughly? 

thanks 

Dude, just contact Nick. 

On 5/2/2023 at 11:19 AM, nick_the_wheelbuilder said:

More robust than DT EX511?

1 hour ago, LBKloppers said:

Dude, just contact Nick. 

Thanks, where is he based?