Dopers suck

fandacious

53 minutes ago, bolt67 said:
Annah Watkinson Triathlon Presence of Prohibited Substance or its Metabolites or Makers in an Athlete's Sample Mestanolone Metabolite, 17α-methyl-5α-androstan-3α, 17βdiol(5α-methyltestosterone) 4 Year

She's a banker by profession while being a pro athlete, which is no mean feat. 

https://www.linkedin.com/in/annah-watkinson/

https://podcasts.apple.com/in/podcast/annah-watkinson-professional-triathlete-discipline/id1464163421?i=1000506780171

I wonder whether this ban will have any repercutions (spelling) on her 9 to 5? I don't think it would be fair, but it makes you wonder. 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, mecheng89 said:

She's a banker by profession while being a pro athlete, which is no mean feat. 

https://www.linkedin.com/in/annah-watkinson/

https://podcasts.apple.com/in/podcast/annah-watkinson-professional-triathlete-discipline/id1464163421?i=1000506780171

I wonder whether this ban will have any repercutions (spelling) on her 9 to 5? I don't think it would be fair, but it makes you wonder. 

Just skimming through the document I’d be surprised if that were the case.

Becoming clear that there are some serious issues that anti doping need to address. Part of the reason contamination claims are so often used as a defence (rightly or wrongly) is because the more industrial processing we use in foods and supplements. 

If WADA don’t get to grips with this and keep falling back on strict liability and semantics. They’re going to cause damage to themselves in the long run.

1 hour ago, Danger Dassie said:

Just skimming through the document I’d be surprised if that were the case.

Becoming clear that there are some serious issues that anti doping need to address. Part of the reason contamination claims are so often used as a defence (rightly or wrongly) is because the more industrial processing we use in foods and supplements. 

If WADA don’t get to grips with this and keep falling back on strict liability and semantics. They’re going to cause damage to themselves in the long run.

The case reading was interesting.

Seems the legal team actually managed to positively influence the proceedings and make some very open ended suggestions that were left hanging behind whose onus the outcome was on.

Both teams had a good go at making sure the correct semantics, statements and words were used in actually declaring the case, as one or two of the 'regularly used' terms were questioned as it influenced how the case was read.

2 years for an age grouper.... Still in with a shout at many future KONAs

7 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

The case reading was interesting.

Seems the legal team actually managed to positively influence the proceedings and make some very open ended suggestions that were left hanging behind whose onus the outcome was on.

Both teams had a good go at making sure the correct semantics, statements and words were used in actually declaring the case, as one or two of the 'regularly used' terms were questioned as it influenced how the case was read.

2 years for an age grouper.... Still in with a shout at many future KONAs

4 year ban, which is pretty harsh. 

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

Would be nice to catch a ‘ Merican once in a while 

Who do you suspect is on something unsavioury? 

2 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

No one in particular. Was just a general statement. Bring balance to the braai wors

USADA shows quite a few people bust over the last 18 months....... Looks like a fair few age group cyclists

1 minute ago, Jewbacca said:

USADA shows quite a few people bust over the last 18 months....... Looks like a fair few age group cyclists

They do seem to weed out the bad apples before they get to the international stage. 
last big fish not to be caught was Pharmatrong, Hriffith Joiner, Lewis but I’m sure there are more. I’ve always observed the lower catch rate of the USA in international sport basis their larger sporting population. Law of averages suggest they should have more being caught then smalller countries since they have not had many deviations at that level for a while 

6 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

They do seem to weed out the bad apples before they get to the international stage. 
last big fish not to be caught was Pharmatrong, Hriffith Joiner, Lewis but I’m sure there are more. I’ve always observed the lower catch rate of the USA in international sport basis their larger sporting population. Law of averages suggest they should have more being caught then smalller countries since they have not had many deviations at that level for a while 

What about the burrito food truck lady? that made some waves, maybe just because of the insane dog ate my breakfast excuse story.

Salazar as a dirty coach was also a big deal, along with the nike squad he ran in oregon.

13 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

What about the burrito food truck lady? that made some waves, maybe just because of the insane dog ate my breakfast excuse story.

Salazar as a dirty coach was also a big deal, along with the nike squad he ran in oregon.

That brings back memories 

On 5/31/2024 at 9:18 PM, mecheng89 said:

4 year ban, which is pretty harsh. 

Harsh? I have not read the case or circumstances around it so commenting based on general doping. If you deliberately use performance enhancing drugs of any kind you should get banned for life. 

First of all, it takes opportunities away from clean athletes(sponsors, price Money, professional contracts, opportunities to represent your country etc.) 

Secondly in some cases it gives you life long benefit, for instance, one steroid cycle increases your muscle capacity(mass) this will not go away once you stop using as long as you continue to train. 

So a doper will always have a advantage over his piers once he started with it. 

Life long bans will make athletes think twice before they use anything. 

12 minutes ago, Irvin85 said:

Harsh? I have not read the case or circumstances around it so commenting based on general doping. If you deliberately use performance enhancing drugs of any kind you should get banned for life. 

First of all, it takes opportunities away from clean athletes(sponsors, price Money, professional contracts, opportunities to represent your country etc.) 

Secondly in some cases it gives you life long benefit, for instance, one steroid cycle increases your muscle capacity(mass) this will not go away once you stop using as long as you continue to train. 

That and paying back all their earnings while riding like doped rats 

14 minutes ago, Headshot said:

That and paying back all their earnings while riding like doped rats 

Age groupers shouldn't get prize money, especially if you're employed in a high position at a well-known bank. But I get your point. 

28 minutes ago, Irvin85 said:

It seems athletes are just willing to take this risk. Or, like in some instances, they get forced to do it by senior people they trust. 

But like I heard on a podcast, why is it only the athlete that gets slammed? Why don't the administrators/coaches behind the scenes also get a lashing? Salazar is an example of a coach that got nailed, but in general?