Dopers suck

fandacious

It didn’t need fixing. The statement stands true, the rugby culture in SA is a problem. That doesn’t imply it’s not a problem elsewhere too.

My humblest apologies... refining/enhancing/expanding on - whatever floats your boat  :D  :D  :D  :D 

I will be sure to analyse the pants off any quick comments I make in the future for fear of upsetting you...

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My humblest apologies... refining/enhancing/expanding on - whatever floats your boat :D :D :D :D

I will be sure to analyse the pants off any quick comments I make in the future for fear of upsetting you...

It’s cute that you think these comments “upset” me ????

It’s cute that you think these comments “upset” me

And it's cute that you need to nit pick every little thing on a chat forum... stop making your OCD everyone else's problem  :P  Everyone knew exactly what I meant, your comment wasn't needed. 

Yip... somebody has to pay those bills.

I do feel rugby is a lot like cycling was two decades ago (maybe still is), but you're going to struggle to compete if you're not doing a little something extra on the side. I'm all for evolution and of course there have been big advances in nutrition/training etc, but the one schools rugby pack last year was bigger than 95 Bok rugby world cup winning pack... and it wasn't because they ate all the pies.

The spur series is doing amazing things for our sport. Let's hope the competitive nature of it doesn't make it go the same way as our high school rugby dopers

The spur series is doing amazing things for our sport. Let's hope the competitive nature of it doesn't make it go the same way as our high school rugby dopers

I must admit, I am worried about this.

When it becomes a big thing, and parents get involved, especially the hyper competitive ones, just like in rugby, some dodgy doors can open.

And it's cute that you need to nit pick every little thing on a chat forum... stop making your OCD everyone else's problem :P Everyone knew exactly what I meant, your comment wasn't needed.

If you need to attribute somebody simply correcting a weak statement, which in itself was an attempted correction, to some form anxiety disorder, in an attempt to shift focus and get through the day, go ahead if it helps.

I'd have to agree that it's a bigger problem here than elsewhere. Our rugby culture is one of size trumps skills, which gives rise to these sort of things.

Ja and 6 months after matric they are fat as houses.

They did test a whole bunch of the top riders recently at one of the Gauteng legs... I was kind of hoping they would set a precedent at the finals this past weekend and test the whole field, but I guess the money maybe isn't there yet. Any big corporates who wanna sponsor making sure this gets kept clean?

With all sport it's a worry and one of my biggest pet peeves is parent's pushing kids into these dodgy realms... I can't even be cross with the kids as they're supposed to be protected from this crap by their elders.

Apparently the competition levels at this Spurs final was extremely intense... can only pray it somehow stays/is clean.

If you need to attribute somebody simply correcting a weak statement, which in itself was an attempted correction, to some form anxiety disorder, in an attempt to shift focus and get through the day, go ahead if it helps.

You win, you the man  :thumbup:

I'd have to agree that it's a bigger problem here than elsewhere. Our rugby culture is one of size trumps skills, which gives rise to these sort of things.

The New Zealanders saw this problem off long ago - when kids practice, they practice against kids their own size...

So what happens when everyones's the same size? You trump your competitor with skills/speed etc - improving those skills and lessening the reliance on this head down moer forward stuff we often see here and in Europe

Yip... somebody has to pay those bills.

I do feel rugby is a lot like cycling was two decades ago (maybe still is), but you're going to struggle to compete if you're not doing a little something extra on the side. I'm all for evolution and of course there have been big advances in nutrition/training etc, but the one schools rugby pack last year was bigger than 95 Bok rugby world cup winning pack... and it wasn't because they ate all the pies.

Agreed and I do feel that the problem is much larger, deeper and ultimately extends to a certain culture that (often inevitably) absorbs the kids at some stage.

Point in case; when not on the spinning bike (see what I did there) I often gym at a nice new facility right next to Loftus in Pretoria. A lot of boys from surrounding "rugby schools" train at the gym, many of them rugby players. In addition, the gym (as with most others) attracts a certain kind of muscle fitness athlete (the kind who takes part in acronym-named competitions - I can never remember the meanings of those acronyms). Almost without exception, they have a distinct appearance; cut to the bone or bulked to the max with veins all over, dark pink complexion, blood-shod eyes and often problematic integumentary occurrences. These are the okes you don't argue with when they request a spot at the cables...

The sad thing - do you know how many schoolboys in that gym start out the season looking naturally fit and end up looking like the latter example. I'm talking guys playing 1st team rugby  at the BIG schools. An the pattern is always the same...they start out gymming alone, then join one of the "big" okes for training sessions and before long they are massive. And I'm not talking tuna, chicken breasts and basmati rices massive...

What I'm saying is that this is as much about perception as it is about performance. There exists a perception that bigger is better, bigger is more beautiful and bigger is more powerful. And, to put it bluntly, these young, impressionable guys often have very questionable role models who feed them not only with unhealthy products but also distorted perceptions of what a successful sportsman should look like - on and off the field.

En pappa betaal... 

Edited by Karooryder

Agreed and I do feel that the problem is much larger, deeper and ultimately extends to a certain culture that (often inevitably) absorbs the kids at some stage.

Point in case; when not on the spinning bike (see what I did there) I often gym at a nice new facility right next to Loftus in Pretoria. A lot of boys from surrounding "rugby schools" train at the gym, many of them rugby players. In addition, the gym (as with most others) attracts a certain kind of muscle fitness athlete (the kind who takes part in acronym-named competitions - I can never remember the meanings of those acronyms). Almost without exception, they have a distinct appearance; cut to the bone or bulked to the max with veins all over, dark pink complexion, blood-shod eyes and often problematic integumentary occurrences. These are the okes you don't argue with when they request a spot at the cables...

The sad thing - do you know how many schoolboys in that gym start out the season looking naturally fit and end up looking like the latter example. I'm talking guys playing 1st team rugby at the BIG schools. An the pattern is always the same...they start out gymming alone, then join one of the "big" okes for training sessions and before long they are massive. And I'm not talking tuna, chicken breasts and basmati rices massive...

What I'm saying is that this is as much about perception as it is about performance. There exists a perception that bigger is better, bigger is more beautiful and bigger is more powerful. And, to put it bluntly, these young, impressionable guys often have very questionable role models who feed them not only with unhealthy products but also distorted perceptions of what a successful sportsman should look like - on and off the field.

En pappa betaal...

And generally they are a bunch of arrogant twats who believe they are gods gift...and the schools treat them like heroes..

Anti doping should rock up to the schools in Jan for out of competition testing...a lot of schools won't be able to field rugby teams with all the positives results.

Indeed you see the difference in the physique of these rugby bulle from Nov to Jan.. they all come back to school completely transformed.

Schools are also to blame.. these "rugby schools" market their schools on the rugby results.

And you know what, the schools and coaches will just ignore any ban..cause who is going to monitor it..Anti doping may not publicise any minors names.

Edited by Gen

It is disgusting, willing to risk their children's health to say their kid played Craven week..pffft..

I see the physical tranformation of rugby boys every year..astonishing to say the least..

It’s a vicious circle

Think back to the arguments about testing back markers or part time athletes that are not competing to win. The majority of people could not give a s h I t e if these people dope intentionally or unintentionally....

Well surprise surprise join the dots and these same people are likely the same dads who will do “anything” to ensure son sakkie gets to play for the 1st team.

Doping culture is not only an elite problem, it’s much more widespread. Everyday athletes, Comrades / Argus back markers etc etc ....

It’s human nature, and the more I think about it, the more I realise it’s pointless trying to fight it.

Edited by SwissVan

It’s a vicious circle [emoji778]️

Think back to the arguments about testing back markers or part time athletes that are not competing to win. The majority of people could not give a s h I t e if these people dope intentionally or unintentionally....

Well surprise surprise join the dots and these same people are likely the same dads who will do “anything” to ensure son sakkie gets to play for the 1st team.

Doping culture is not only an elite problem, it’s much more widespread. Everyday athletes, Comrades / Argus back markers etc etc ....

It’s human nature, and the more I think about it, the more I realise it’s pointless trying to fight it.

IMO they should suspend the schools and/or provincial unions along with the athlete and if a coach is involved him too, and parents should be charged with something too..child endangerment or something

There has to serious consequences to doping at school level.

Edited by Gen