Dopers suck

fandacious

I remember back in the 90's as 15 and 16 year olds we won pretty much all the rowing regattas in the Eastern Cape. We went on to win Buffalo 2000m 8s in 6 flat and followed it up with a win at SA champs at Roodeplaat. 

We weren't allowed to carry our own boat off the water as we were whipped off to drug testing straight off the water. As kids. We were all like 'yoh, hectic! How long does weed stay in your system for?!' but never once considered that any of us in the crew would have been doping.

The advent of professionalism has created a seriously unrealistic and unhealthy view of what sort of shape school kids need to be in and how they need to get there. 

The pressure on these kids to win, achieve and go on to greater glory is immense. 

Parents need to know that it is both dangerous and all sorts of irresponsible to push these agendas on kids. It really is a crazy old place we currently live in

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd dispute this, I think the pull from impressing their peers and the ladies, is much stronger than making mom and dad proud.

Parent's can only do so much, the biggest influence in the path children take in their lives are their friends at school. (Scary but true)

http://croker.harpethhall.org/Must%20Know/Psychology/ParentsGladwell.pdf

Maybe a little but not when it comes to rugby..nah from what I have seen it is parents, school and coaches....

The hype some schools make about sport and rugby in particular is unbelievable

I remember back in the 90's as 15 and 16 year olds we won pretty much all the rowing regattas in the Eastern Cape. We went on to win Buffalo 2000m 8s in 6 flat and followed it up with a win at SA champs at Roodeplaat. 

We weren't allowed to carry our own boat off the water as we were whipped off to drug testing straight off the water. As kids. We were all like 'yoh, hectic! How long does weed stay in your system for?!' but never once considered that any of us in the crew would have been doping.

When I was rowing in the 80's the rule was that if any rower got bust, his crew got struck off the results.

There is a strong disincentive to do things that will alienate you from your closest mates (as crew mates are *) and a strong incentive for self policing within the group.

* The bonds are so strong that even though we rowed together 30 years ago I had coffee with one this morning, am riding with another tomorrow  and shared a birthday with a third last week. I would have died before doing something that threatened their hard work.

Imagine if all 8 riders in a tour  team were eliminated from a race because one of them got popped how vigilant they would be of one another's behavior.

When I was rowing in the 80's the rule was that if any rower got bust, his crew got struck off the results.

There is a strong disincentive to do things that will alienate you from your closest mates (as crew mates are *) and a strong incentive for self policing within the group.

* The bonds are so strong that even though we rowed together 30 years ago I had coffee with one this morning, am riding with another tomorrow  and shared a birthday with a third last week. I would have died before doing something that threatened their hard work.

Imagine if all 8 riders in a tour  team were eliminated from a race because one of them got popped how vigilant they would be of one another's behavior.

I seem to remember that was the case with us. If anyone was caught, the whole team was scratched from the whole season.

I like to think that the rest of the guys were as innocent as me and had never even considered it.

Our crew has been flung to all corners of the earth unfortunately. I was very lucky to row with some exemplary humans.

It’s a vicious circle

Think back to the arguments about testing back markers or part time athletes that are not competing to win. The majority of people could not give a s h I t e if these people dope intentionally or unintentionally....

Well surprise surprise join the dots and these same people are likely the same dads who will do “anything” to ensure son sakkie gets to play for the 1st team.

Doping culture is not only an elite problem, it’s much more widespread. Everyday athletes, Comrades / Argus back markers etc etc ....

It’s human nature, and the more I think about it, the more I realise it’s pointless trying to fight it.

You should see how many people cheat at the Lonehill ParkRun (easy to do because it's a 2 lapper). It's embarrassing to watch. I've even seen a mom showing her kids how to do it. 

Parents need to know that it is both dangerous and all sorts of irresponsible to push these agendas on kids. It really is a crazy old place we currently live in

My Fisio told me earlier this year that it is truly scary how many rugby playing boys she treats have asked her to help them to stop playing, because they don't want to play but their dads won't accept his request to stop.

Parents need to wake the flip up!

PS. Yes I am a parent.

My Fisio told me earlier this year that it is truly scary how many rugby playing boys she treats have asked her to help them to stop playing, because they don't want to play but their dads won't accept his request to stop.

Parents need to wake the flip up!

PS. Yes I am a parent.

Yep

Far too much pressure.

You must hear what my sons say (they play hockey).. it doesn't matter how well the other sports do over a weekend..if the rugby (esp the first team ) doesn't win they hear all about on the Monday at assembly.

More and more boys want to stop rugby and go over to hockey because of all that pressure..they are just not enjoying it..but their dads won't allow it.

And yep.. some parents need a good kick in the arse.

Edited by Gen

Not the first time this has happened at Craven week. I remember a convo with a testing official at Crater Cruise some time back who felt they needed to be more present at school sports.

Don't think the drive for doping at schools rugby can be attributed to more than one side than the other. The reaility though is that it's upto the parents and/or legal guardians to set the standard and draw a line. If lighties are pushing for the PEDs for whatever reason, then it more than likely stems from the adult influences around them. Directly and indirectly. 
Imho if an adult is found to be pushing a minor into doping it should be a mandatory 2yr prison sentence with the option of community service, at the courts discretion. 

For me the worry is the possibility of this kind of culture starts to poison some of the other school sporting codes that grow in popularity.

Their dads

Thats not true. They get it from their seniors. The matrics hook the grade 9 & 10 up with their suppliers when they start to gym together. And its not anavar or oxandrolone pills they pop, hulle spuit pappie. Because they feel ashamed to stand in n queue with a handfull of insulin needles they will send their hostel grade 8 juniors to the pharmacy.

That 3 percent sounds way too low...

If they don't play provincial no one gives a rats arse.

Spanish court authorises release of Operacion Puerto blood bags to Italian Olympic Committee

Athletes involved Operación Puerto may finally be publicly named, as the Spanish Court overseeing the case has authorised the release of the remaining blood bags to the Italian Olympic Committee (CONI), according to Spanish newspaper As.

The Spanish Criminal Court 21 issued an order this week allowing the blood bags to be released to CONI and analysed in order to determine who was involved in the doping ring run by disgraced doctor Eufamiano Fuentes. Fuentes has reportedly filed an appeal.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/spanish-court-authorises-release-of-operacion-puerto-blood-bags-to-italian-olympic-committee/

Edited by tux26

Thats not true. They get it from their seniors. The matrics hook the grade 9 & 10 up with their suppliers when they start to gym together. And its not anavar or oxandrolone pills they pop, hulle spuit pappie. Because they feel ashamed to stand in n queue with a handfull of insulin needles they will send their hostel grade 8 juniors to the pharmacy.

That 3 percent sounds way too low...

If they don't play provincial no one gives a rats arse.

You cannot say it’s not true. You are right, it might not always be the case, but it certainly was in the cases that I have known about when my younger brother played first team.

When it comes to pressure from other 17-18 year old boys, one can almost understand it, but when it comes from a parent, it’s absolutely inexcusable.