Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

My kitchen counters are driving me mad (mainly cos wifey isn't careful with spilling water  :whistling:).

Besides applying Woodoc wax or similar - WEEKLY - is there anything else that can be done?

Water stains the wood  :devil:

Varnishing isn't an option right?

post-2515-0-05591700-1474026572_thumb.jpg

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My kitchen counters are driving me mad (mainly cos wifey isn't careful with spilling water  :whistling:).

Besides applying Woodoc wax or similar - WEEKLY - is there anything else that can be done?

Epoxy

You can try oiling the wood as well. However also requires maintenance

Once you have applied Woodoc you are basically stuck with it as nothing will stick to it and a bugger to remove (almost impossible).. Glatex 8 is about the best option for wooden kitchen tops.

I've used Woodoc 10 penetrating polywax varnish on counter tops and they last forever. Follow the instructions: keep the surface completely wet for 10 minutes per coat so it really sinks in. the advantage is Woodoc can also be easily repaired, unlike any epoxy.

Sometimes, for more depth, I find the Plascon Ultra varnish bonds perfectly ok with the Woodoc.

What you may need to do before using anything, is get silicone and wax remover from an automotive paint supplier. Modern spray waxes like Mr Min have enough silicon in them to destroy a finish. It fish-eyes all over the place. You need to really rub the whole thing down four or five times, using the remover very liberally. Keep changing clothes, or use paper towels.

For water spills and marks on varnish, quickly dab mayonnaise or anything oily on the white mark. The mayonnaise, and the mark, will be gone by morning.

try Rystix Timbercare Interior Armafloor. The stuff is mindblowingly effective and fully met my criteria when going with a wooden worktop: does not stain the wood that horrible yellow tinge other brands of supposedly clear sealant result in, and it's very easily applied by hand (brush, roller), not glossy, and of course, seal the deal ;)

100% pass rate.I highly rate and recommend this product.

All made with left over bits and pieces from my piano workshop.

is this played with fingers like a guitar or is it semi percussion and how does it sound like?

Edit: I see the spoon there next to it?

Edited by Ed-Zulu

My son in grade 4 came home with instructions to make a musical instrument for school.

We got stuck in and this was the result.

You sure upped the stakes in the school project game!

is this played with fingers like a guitar or is it semi percussion and how does it sound like?

Edit: I see the spoon there next to it?

It is played with a plectrum or fingers like a guitar I suppose. You can also hit the strings with spoons kind of like a dulcimer. I think it would be classified as a zither.

morning guys i posted in the vegetable gardens thread as well

speaking of old pallets where can one get some in CPT, by some i mean enough to make a 5-6 boxes

wife been nagging to get it done. boxes i'm thinking of making them 1m by 1m, advice

morning guys i posted in the vegetable gardens thread as well

wife been nagging to get it done. boxes i'm thinking of making them 1m by 1m, advice

You'll be better served by getting trusses. Cheap, plenty available and already treated. Plus, the prep work to get them to the right dimensions is FAR less.