Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

I have been pretty quiet in here lately while getting into a new job but been doing some turning to keep my sanity in between.

Had some fun recently turning square/rectangular bowls. Not the easiest to get into all of the angles and those feet swinging at 1k rpm are sometimes tricky to stay away from!

post-4822-0-22123900-1535354379_thumb.jpg

post-4822-0-05192300-1535354392_thumb.jpg

post-4822-0-40231100-1535354421_thumb.jpg

post-4822-0-44778900-1535354438_thumb.jpg

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This was the first attempt, same as the rectangular one its London Plane tree, rectangular one must have been heartwood though because this is more like the normal creamy colour of it.

I forgot to take into account the mortice I was using to hold it on the chuck and turned right through the bottom of it. My wife suggested hot gluing a ceramic succulent she made into it. Its not the best result but it still looks quite cool.

post-4822-0-26956200-1535354478_thumb.jpg

post-4822-0-78390500-1535354488_thumb.jpg

post-4822-0-50551900-1535354509_thumb.jpg

This little dude was an experiment with tiny logs and natural edge, was quite fun to do.

post-4822-0-99860200-1535354686_thumb.jpg

Awesome clamps, that was me looking for them a while back. The Pony ones are very highly rated. Did toolcraft do the cutting and threading of the pipes for you?

Not sure if they stock the pipes, just ordered online. Got the pipes from Agrimark. Any irrigation supplier will be able to sort you out. 

The greater Johannesburg area is basically built on a termite colony, so treatment is critical.  Your preparation, and how you plant the poles is also very important.  See the below diagram from the SAWPA (South Africa Wood Preservers Association) website:

attachicon.gifBuying-Using-Preservative-Treated-Timber--low-res.jpg

For the planted poles, they need to be H4, and if you cut them, the cut end should not be planted, i.e. plant the treated end, but also retreat the cut end with a suitable treatment (e.g. Waxsol F).  Once the jungle gym is done, you can treat it with a suitable oil.  

When working with CCA treated timber, especially when cutting, wear the appropriate protection (dust mask), and do not burn the off cuts.

To buy treated poles and wood, Noag se Mark in Kempton, or Mint Road Saw Mills in Alrode.  

See the diagram on guidelines for planting the poles, essentially you want to prevent water from damming up around the base of the pole, which causes rotting.

If you follow the guidelines, the lighties will outgrow the Jungle Gym before it falls apart...

Thanks for the info. I'll send you a PM, I don't see the diagram you mentioned.

Edited by Long Wheel Base

Something my old toppie learned me is to dig your hole twice the size of the pole you're planting, then put the pole in, then dump DRY concrete mix in, tamp it down and then add a bucket of water. Always worked great for us, it gives you a rock solid base for the pole, and it also gives you a little better control to be 100% sure the pole is straight before cementing it.

I'm busy building a fence around my veggie garden to keep the Labramonsters out of it. will be planting the poles in this way again.

Something my old toppie learned me is to dig your hole twice the size of the pole you're planting, then put the pole in, then dump DRY concrete mix in, tamp it down and then add a bucket of water. Always worked great for us, it gives you a rock solid base for the pole, and it also gives you a little better control to be 100% sure the pole is straight before cementing it.

I'm busy building a fence around my veggie garden to keep the Labramonsters out of it. will be planting the poles in this way again.

whahhhaahhaaa ..... good luck keeping that monster away from a fresh food source!

whahhhaahhaaa ..... good luck keeping that monster away from a fresh food source!

Yeah I'm pretty gatvol of their digging up my veggies. Little ****s ... that's the thanks I get for rescuing them  :clap:

I'm also planning a chicken coop next to the veggie patch ... wtf am I thinking?

Yeah I'm pretty gatvol of their digging up my veggies. Little ****s ... that's the thanks I get for rescuing them :clap:

I'm also planning a chicken coop next to the veggie patch ... wtf am I thinking?

We adopted two labs a few years ago. They dug up the garden and shredded everything in site. We were told they'd grow out of it after two years ( They were a year and a bit old when we got them) Well I can officially call bullsh!t on that. My labs are almost 4 and they still dig and shred.... not much Is lab proof. Well maybe if it is inside the house behind a locked door!

We adopted two labs a few years ago. They dug up the garden and shredded everything in site. We were told they'd grow out of it after two years ( They were a year and a bit old when we got them) Well I can officially call bullsh!t on that. My labs are almost 4 and they still dig and shred.... not much Is lab proof. Well maybe if it is inside the house behind a locked door!

They do relax later on, but I agree, Labs tend to do the crazy puppy stuff like chewing (especially chewing!) things for a lot longer than most breeds. They are quite intelligent and get bored quickly, and then they do the destructive thing. My previous one chewed up the garden like a goat couldn't, but never dug. She stopped at about 3 years. My current one pulled the washing off the washing line until he was about 4 years old. Then it stopped all by itself. Nothing I did made any difference, except to keep him away from it. Regular mental and physical exercise helps too. A short walk and a bit of playing fetch every afternoon is better than a big long one once a week.

They do relax later on, but I agree, Labs tend to do the crazy puppy stuff like chewing (especially chewing!) things for a lot longer than most breeds. They are quite intelligent and get bored quickly, and then they do the destructive thing. My previous one chewed up the garden like a goat couldn't, but never dug. She stopped at about 3 years. My current one pulled the washing off the washing line until he was about 4 years old. Then it stopped all by itself. Nothing I did made any difference, except to keep him away from it. Regular mental and physical exercise helps too. A short walk and a bit of playing fetch every afternoon is better than a big long one once a week.

when mine hit 2 years she just chilled out .... she is 12 years old now, however the puppy still comes out of her, but not that often anymore.

Yeah I'm pretty gatvol of their digging up my veggies. Little ****s ... that's the thanks I get for rescuing them :clap:

Let the kiepies into the veggie patch every day and you won't have any nunus

Can you oaks stop posting your rubbish.

I am still trying to figure out how to cut everything in straight lines without the cable savagely attacking my ankles.

No, I am not jealous. And I dont lie. Well sometimes.