Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Do you know how this compares to Woodoc 25 water-borne, which I think is a water-based poly?

Not used the Woodoc product myself so cannot offer a comparison. However, lets be honest, there are so many good products on the market today, a little research will point you in the direction you want to go and as long as you choose an appropriate product for the application and follow the instructions you'll get great results.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some advice please, My folks are busy putting new counter tops in their kitchen. They are putting bamboo counter tops in. Any suggestions as to what they should use to seal it with? They were told beeswax. Is that the best option or is there something better.

Glatex 8

Some awesome ideas.

https://twitter.com/itswoodwork

I have designed a few screens like this were we are wanting to maximise the view yet retain as much privacy as possible ... you then pivot the louvre to where you want it and then fasten the louvre in place.

Realise that I need to take more PITCHA's of things on site.

I have designed a few screens like this were we are wanting to maximise the view yet retain as much privacy as possible ... you then pivot the louvre to where you want it and then fasten the louvre in place.

Realise that I need to take more PITCHA's of things on site.

I want to do something like that, but it must also open like stack doors. Just not anywhere close  to doing it as I have to get all the materials etc. Currently busy with a deck of which I have so far worked out the wood I need, but still need to buy the wood.

When I restore a second hand plane for my own use I make a new set of tote and knob from African Rosewood just to personalise it a bit.

I used to simply use BLO to finish it, but recently finished one set with two coats of OSMO Poly X Satin sanded with 1200 grit in between. Then a coat of paste wax on top. Wow, I love it! Silky smooth!!!

I am now going to refinish all of them with the Osmo. (PS: I have applied the Osmo directly over the BLO and it seems to have adhered quite well. Since both are oil based, I think there should not be an issue...)

The set on the left just have the BLO finish, with the set on the right having the Osmo. I like the satin gloss. ????

post-50518-0-73967300-1618468246_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-20083600-1618468442_thumb.jpg

When I restore a second hand plane for my own use I make a new set of tote and knob from African Rosewood just to personalise it a bit.

I used to simply use BLO to finish it, but recently finished one set with two coats of OSMO Poly X Satin sanded with 1200 grit in between. Then a coat of paste wax on top. Wow, I love it! Silky smooth!!!

I am now going to refinish all of them with the Osmo. (PS: I have applied the Osmo directly over the BLO and it seems to have adhered quite well. Since both are oil based, I think there should not be an issue...)

The set on the left just have the BLO finish, with the set on the right having the Osmo. I like the satin gloss.

attachicon.gifOsmo vs BLO Handles 1.jpg

attachicon.gifOsmo vs BLO Handles 2.jpg

Looks awesome. I love the feel of the Osmo finishes

Here is another No 7 I cleaned up recently.  This one was in a very good condition when I got it, just a bit of surface rust.  It was just lying unused in a toolbox.  The japanning was almost perfect, just a small spot close to the tote that had a bit of rust.  It was sold in 1 hour after I posted it on out woodworkers group.

This was the first one where I used the Osmo.

post-50518-0-68448300-1618470570_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-53114800-1618470581_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-06696800-1618470274_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-62839400-1618470314_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-96906500-1618470322_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-73321800-1618470892_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-22877700-1618470354_thumb.jpg

Edited by carrera4s

Just used a friends Bosch Multi Tool to trim the base of a fitted timber post to a roof the carpenters could simply not cut parralel to the ground to create a decent water gap and shadow line ... my freeking word it is an amazing little tool. 

Marked out my cut THE WAY IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN and this little thing did the rest with a little finishing trim with a chisel and the job looks so much better.

Will have to add that Multi Tool to the list of "must get" tools

Just used a friends Bosch Multi Tool to trim the base of a fitted timber post to a roof the carpenters could simply not cut parralel to the ground to create a decent water gap and shadow line ... my freeking word it is an amazing little tool. 

Marked out my cut THE WAY IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN and this little thing did the rest with a little finishing trim with a chisel and the job looks so much better.

Is it this little thing?

If so, I've also wanted one of these little oscillating trimmers since forever.

Is it this little thing?

Just checked that video in your link. WOW that thing is awesome. Hmm need to see if they have one in 18V li-ion as I already have some bosch 18V li-ion stuff.

Just checked that video in your link. WOW that thing is awesome. Hmm need to see if they have one in 18V li-ion as I already have some bosch 18V li-ion stuff.

~R4k for the bosch blue (tool only). On my endless list of tools.

Is it this little thing?

yebo yes ... slices like a hot knife through butter and the area I was working on was around 10mm from the ground level, so given the tight space no other tool can effectively work there.

just a flipping amazing tool

I've had a Makita 18V multitool in my mobile toolbox for a while now, with a bunch of attachments (cheap on ebay)  - so very useful at times. Got the headzup on this tool from the Skillbuilder channel

Just got 18V Blower in from Toolcraft, that is also going to be very useful - I've toiled with power cords and extenstions long enough. Like on a roof having bored holes for an antenna bracket, using chemical mortar & studs, they really need to be blown out.

Edited by kosmonooit

Is it this little thing?

Oscillating multi-tools are super handy!

For years Fein was the only option for these (they had the patent) and they were some ridiculous price.

I've got the AEG one which has interchangeable heads

OMNI_18C_Li-202B--Hero_1.jpg?v=3914DAB81

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/rOAAAOSwgYdb0ZuF/s-l500.jpg

Pretty handy to be able to just add heads in stead of buying a whole new tool, especially if it's just a small application.

I picked up a reciprocating saw head for mine. Combines with a Diablo demolition blade, it has been great for deconstructing timber stud walls in my renos (no need to invest in an actual recip for the amount I use it).

And the oscillating head with the right blade cuts through those pesky nails that snap halfway during extraction. Just flush-cut the suckers!

Fun fact: oscillating tools have been used in the medical industry for decades. From cutting off plaster casts, to slicing through bone. They work so well because they do very little damage to flesh, which is why the handyman equivalents are pretty safe when compared to jigsaws and circular saws.