SARS & eFiling - What gives?!

Johan A Marais

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year I was selected for audit. Submitted requested documentation and received refund 3 days later.

Helps to be a small fish.

I submitted in August, was selected for audit, first time for me. Needless to say.... they are STILL demanding more documentation. Company I worked for got liquidated a year ago and I've been doing contract work since then - paid my own medical and RA... now they want to know how I funded my RA and medical. Submitted another bunch of docs on Monday. My ex-collegues in the same position. We're seeing the Liquidators tomorrow - ex-employer owes SARS R90K, but tax was deducted from my salary, and SARS is scrutinizing us all now.

Real sh***** situation.

Edited by wiledog_x

That is just scratching the surface of the stuff that goes on at SARS. I could write a book about the crap these people get up to.

Jacques Pauw is that you?

So, once you receive a Completion letter, or Verification of Assessment, that means happiness, right? No more trying to figure out what the %%!@#& they want this time (for another year, at least)?

• 2 weeks later...

CAPE TOWN - Amid regular reports of a growing brain drain at the South African Revenue Service (Sars), the tax-collecting agency has now confirmed that over 500 people left its employ in the first 10 months of the year.

More than two-thirds are as a result of voluntary resignation.

In response to a Parliamentary question from the Democratic Alliance, Finance Minister Malusi Gigaba, says at least a fifth left for other career opportunities.

The revelation comes in the wake of a R50 billion revenue shortfall this year and controversy around Sars commissioner Tom Moyane.

Sars says the Protection of Personal Information Act makes it unable to disclose the names of those who have left the service.

At least 85 of those who left over the last 10 months have said they were leaving for personal reasons, while another 81 have chosen not to provide a reason for resigning.

More than a fifth of the 506 employees who have left worked in customer service.

But the revenue service has also lost at least 58 auditors, with an average of 17 years of experience, and 27 legal staff with more than 10 years of experience.

Sars says it fired at least 40 people due to misconduct or incapacity, while 83 retired.

http://ewn.co.za/2017/12/06/sars-lose-500-employees-in-10-months-mps-told

• 6 months later...

I just don't understand the SARS call center for dealing with my e-filing

Firstly the person answers the call in a friendly and bubbly manner.

This same person then patiently deals with my queries and assists me, I make the changes needed after being a nuisance to her ......... AND then she thanks me!

What ever happened to having calls dropped, moody operators, and just that good old feeling of frustration one should experience when dealing with SARS!

This same person then patiently deals with my queries and assists me, I make the changes needed after being a nuisance to her ......... AND then she thanks me!

What ever happened to having calls dropped, moody operators, and just that good old feeling of frustration one should experience when dealing with SARS!

They are seldom moody when you are paying them, Im sure it would be a different story if you were looking for money from them!

Since I returned to RSA in 2012 and became a tax payer here since 91 I have always experienced courteous and helpful dealings with them

They are seldom moody when you are paying them, Im sure it would be a different story if you were looking for money from them!

BUT....they are giving me a nice wad of money back :o

Return submitted on Sunday.

Cash in my account on Tuesday.

Wife not so lucky, selected for audit for the 4th year in a row

@Fanievb you are lucky to receive your payment so quickly. Wife filed on Monday last week...No word since.... :wacko:

@Fanievb you are lucky to receive your payment so quickly. Wife filed on Monday last week...No word since.... :wacko:

Jip same story here, submitted last week Monday - bound to get some more back as i received my assessment from SARS already but nothing yet :thumbdown:

Edited by Rob_Lions

Return submitted on Sunday.

Cash in my account on Tuesday.

Wife not so lucky, selected for audit for the 4th year in a row

Same here, 4th year in a row too, getting old very quickly!

Jip same story here, submitted last week Monday - bound to get some more back as i received my assessment from SARS already but nothing yet :thumbdown:

Same here. Phoned them this morning. Apparently the have up to a 21 day turn around for reimbursements.