Why Do I See So Many Cyclist Without Helmets?

Andrew_Smith

Hey guys,

Today I went to pick up my bike from This Way Out and I was amazed how many cyclist I saw without helmets. Yeah, they are not in Tygerberg MTB Club or any other, but still... It is like riding a car without a safety belt. This one oke was driving on Fairtrees Rd (16:15) with medium traffic without a helmet. Best of all, he was driving an XTC Advanced 29er 2 LTD. Surely he can afford a helmet. There is also a dirt path which he could have followed instead of being on the road with cars flying by. 

I do not want to rant, but I am pretty stretch about wearing a helmet and will always be. No matter what the scenario. Heck, I even wear my helmet when visiting my friend in a residential area about 1km away.

No Helmet
No Ride

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not quite like not wearing a seatbelt. Not wearing a helmet it is your own problem. Not wearing a seatbelt you are putting other occupants of a car in more danger.

That's assuming there are other passengers in the car ;)

I saw the same thing this holiday when I was at the West Coast.  Being used to the no helmet = no ride policy we have here in Gauteng, I asked a few guys about this, and they got aggressive immediately.  Strange how people in South Africa that act wrongly are usually the first to go on attack when confronted. 

Edited by myth125

Whatevs, let those that ride decide.

I have first head experience in making contact with the earth, and if not for the helmet, I would have been semi vegetative.

A helmet, in a serious accident will not save your life, but anything below 50kms per hour, it will certainly save serious head trauma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by RocknRolla

Yes I've become increasingly aware of this - it seems that most often the first move when in the wrong is to attack as aggressively and belligerently as possible. Do we think "might makes right"? I wonder if we Saffas are losing the ability to own up to our failings, apologise and correct them. 

I saw the same thing this holiday when I was at the West Coast.  Being used to the no helmet = no ride policy we have here in Gauteng, I asked a few guys about this, and they got aggressive immediately.  Strange how people in South Africa that act wrongly are usually the first to go on attack when confronted. 

It's Darwinism in action.

A helmet saved me from serious serious injury on two occasions last year - the last one left me siezuring and in hospital for 5 nights.

I shudder to think what would have happened if I had faceplanted that rock without a helmet!

why are you bothered with other people's do's and dont's!? let them be. it has absolutely nothing to do with you (unless they are a direct threat to you or your family).

there will always be idiots out there. 

teach your own to do the right and be the example you want to see.

Not to mention that they are actually breaking the law. Here is an informative piece on the Arrivealive website explaining it all. https://www.arrivealive.co.za/Compulsory-Helmets

Here is a short snippet taken from the article "In October 2004, regulation 207(2) of the National Road Traffic Regulation became effective after being passed three years earlier.
The regulation orders the compulsory wearing of a protective helmet that is properly fastened and fitted while riding a bicycle or being carried as a passenger."

I even wear an helmet when I commute to work every day! There is absolutely no reason not to wear it.

why are you bothered with other people's do's and dont's!? let them be. it has absolutely nothing to do with you (unless they are a direct threat to you or your family).

best post all day :thumbup:  :thumbup: :thumbup: nice to see a calm intelligent grown up left on the planet  

but you must be very lonely ^_^ 

The worst is when seeing adults and young kids all not wearing helmets. If as a grown up you think you tough enough so be it, but at least make your kids wear helmets. (Saw this on the Spruit this holiday on a number of occasions.)

The problem is not to "Let them be, because they not your problem", because what happens if you come across them after having a serious accident? Do you just ride past and let it be or do you stop and assist?

It's a tempting position to take but on the other hand if we could all hold one another accountable for the small things my belief is that our behaviour improves.

Any group enforces norms of behaviour and so if we see someone breaking these norms I think there is in some way a responsibility to the collective to gently but firmly say something about it. 

We live in a country, perhaps we might even say a period in global history, where what is "right" and "good" and "true" can no longer be taken as read. Without starting a political discussion, our leadership increasingly defends morally indefensible positions and not just locally but internationally this is the case. This filters through to the communities we live in and so we see small tings happening. It starts not to matter if I go though the traffic light on the red but before the cars on the other end of the intersection have pulled off. It's not a big deal if I roll through the intersection until I am completely blocking the pedestrian lane.

Without being too "twee" about it I think we have a responsibility to our communities to let people know when their behaviour breaks the social contract. And similarly to support pro-social behaviour - behaviour that supports the common good. 

If I don't wear a helmet when I'm riding, or I ride on the M5 or I disobey the traffic laws I am in a small way damaging the social fabric, the connection between us all that says we can rely on the other person to behave in a reasonable and positive way. If I turn a blind eye to these behaviours I imply support for them.

2c worth.