Anyone using Zwift?

I use one floor fan pointed basically at my head (raised off the floor onto a book shelf) put on speed 2. for most sessions. 

That said, my indoor training is done either between 5:30 and 6pm in the week. 

This however was my room temp at 6am (!) last Saturday. 

post-63970-0-13991100-1603727606_thumb.png

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use one floor fan pointed basically at my head (raised off the floor onto a book shelf) put on speed 2. for most sessions. 

That said, my indoor training is done either between 5:30 and 6pm in the week. 

This however was my room temp at 6am (!) last Saturday. 

attachicon.gif2213.PNG

Thanks for the idea on using the Garmin to check the temp - will give this a go- maybe this will help convince the Mrs  :ph34r:

Thanks for the idea on using the Garmin to check the temp - will give this a go- maybe this will help convince the Mrs  :ph34r:

LOL

I use my 945 Forerunner and just leave it in front of me, not on my wrist. So I believe it's pretty accurate.

I was wondering how you guys keep cool in your pain caves...

Really been struggling lately with 2 fans on full tilt!

Is it worth biting the bullet and getting a split system aircon installed? 

If you are going to do any real rides on the IDT during the hotter months a split AC unit is a must.

The fans help, because it moves cool air over your body ... but once the room is hot, the fan moves hot air over you and it just keeps getting worse and worse ....

I have friends that do the Baviaans and the Ironman .... that do a LOT of training on their IDT's.  Air con at full blast and with the fans on the floor is wet from all the sweat !!  Without the air-con they would suffer heat stroke.

If you are going to do any real rides on the IDT during the hotter months a split AC unit is a must.

The fans help, because it moves cool air over your body ... but once the room is hot, the fan moves hot air over you and it just keeps getting worse and worse ....

I have friends that do the Baviaans and the Ironman .... that do a LOT of training on their IDT's. Air con at full blast and with the fans on the floor is wet from all the sweat !! Without the air-con they would suffer heat stroke.

Maybe not a bad idea to train a bit with aircons and fans off for the next Trans Baviaans. It's not going to be cool in the Kloof in January![emoji12]

PS. I agree with your points, I also use a portable aircon instead of fans. Worked great for the Virtual 36One when I was trapped for hours in the Paincave.

Just a little bit of useless info while we're talking fans - when my wife went to Kona in 2014 in the months that preceded the event she was doing 4 to 5 hour sets on the indoor trainer (we had the gpx file so she was riding the route) with all the windows and door in the training room closed with the tumbledryer on full drying wet towels just to simulate the the conditions.  When I used to get back from work the air was so thick I could hardly breath in the room....

I had a 12000btu aircon installed 2 weeks ago, and use 1 floor fan. Great for those hard efforts.

Its my home office + paincave with bike and treadmill so was a good investment as we move into summer.

Edited by Veebee

Had an aircon fitted in my pain cave! ..best decision ever!! One fan and aircon and I can train 2 hours when its 40 degrees outside! You still sweat like a ****! We have 3 trainers next to each other, so when me, wifey and son all train at the same time..you need every bit of cool air you can get! 

I stay in Paarl. Nuff said.

When lockdown started, I got the IDT. And thus confirmed that my braai room, where it is hosted, does have a sliiiight unlevelness to it. I am close to the one sliding, which gives some airflow. But even a quick 1h session on a hot morning means I end up mopping the floor right to the back of the room. It runs in rivulets... 

I am sure I will make a plan before Feb! But then again, on good days I prefer to ride our local rock.

I stay in Paarl. Nuff said.

When lockdown started, I got the IDT. And thus confirmed that my braai room, where it is hosted, does have a sliiiight unlevelness to it. I am close to the one sliding, which gives some airflow. But even a quick 1h session on a hot morning means I end up mopping the floor right to the back of the room. It runs in rivulets... 

I am sure I will make a plan before Feb! But then again, on good days I prefer to ride our local rock.

Also well worth it to get a proper training matt. Go to Sportman's and get those gym floor blocks that fit together like puzzles. So most of my sweaty muck ends up on these plastic tiles and easy to clean. But a good towel helps as well  :clap:  

Also well worth it to get a proper training matt. Go to Sportman's and get those gym floor blocks that fit together like puzzles. So most of my sweaty muck ends up on these plastic tiles and easy to clean. But a good towel helps as well  :clap:  

I'd suggest one of these from Builder- was +- R170 for 1.7m and it works really well.

post-83519-0-28814200-1603789494_thumb.jpg

If you guys arent using them already I'd definitely recommend using one of those sweat guards that sit above the top tube between your handlebars and seatpost. I made a ghetto one during lockdown out of an old arm warmer and it works wonders stopping stray sweat droplets from making it onto my bike. Between that, a big fan, and a towel on the handlebars the floor stays pretty dry

If you guys arent using them already I'd definitely recommend using one of those sweat guards that sit above the top tube between your handlebars and seatpost. I made a ghetto one during lockdown out of an old arm warmer and it works wonders stopping stray sweat droplets from making it onto my bike. Between that, a big fan, and a towel on the handlebars the floor stays pretty dry

It's called a thong.

No, really.  :whistling:  :whistling:  :whistling:

Had an aircon fitted in my pain cave! ..best decision ever!! One fan and aircon and I can train 2 hours when its 40 degrees outside! You still sweat like a ****! We have 3 trainers next to each other, so when me, wifey and son all train at the same time..you need every bit of cool air you can get! 

Squad goals